Clerkships: can I apply to judges accepting applications...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkships: can I apply to judges accepting applications...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:07 pm

As a rising 3L, can I apply to paper judges now that have already begun accepting applications but are going to be accepting applications into the federal hiring plan? E.g. there are judges that I know are accepting applications now, but they have listed that they are accepting applications through September (or later). Can I apply to these judges? ... I asked the CSO, and the CSO advisor said no, but my school is a bunch of nazis about applying to off-plan federal judges (it's like they don't realize that we are in a bad economy or something), so I'm not sure if the CSO is being completely honest about this...

steve_nash

Re: Clerkships: can I apply to judges accepting applications...

Postby steve_nash » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:24 pm

You definitely can. My CSO said I shouldn't, and I just lined up an appellate clerkship for next year. I'm not sure what they will do to me (if anything).

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 pm

steve_nash wrote:You definitely can. My CSO said I shouldn't, and I just lined up an appellate clerkship for next year. I'm not sure what they will do to me (if anything).

Congrats steve.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:29 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 pm

steve_nash wrote:You definitely can. My CSO said I shouldn't, and I just lined up an appellate clerkship for next year. I'm not sure what they will do to me (if anything).

Thanks for the info, and congrats. One more question: did you only apply to paper judges that are accepting applications or did you just go ahead and send a paper application for judges that want online applications? ... The reason I posted this up is because a lot of the judges that are accepting applications now for 2011 say they want online applications, which is obviously impossible until OSCAR releases online applications in September.

E.g. Judge Adelman, Lynn is taking applications now, but the CSO database notes say to apply online, and OSCAR confirms this. I'm not sure if I should be sending these judges paper applications or not...

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the info, and congrats. One more question: did you only apply to paper judges that are accepting applications or did you just go ahead and send a paper application for judges that want online applications? ... The reason I posted this up is because a lot of the judges that are accepting applications now for 2011 say they want online applications, which is obviously impossible until OSCAR releases online applications in September.

E.g. Judge Adelman, Lynn is taking applications now, but the CSO database notes say to apply online, and OSCAR confirms this. I'm not sure if I should be sending these judges paper applications or not...

I actually got very lucky with this clerkship. I only sent out a few applications to judges that I was really interested in, and the OSCAR notes for all of them said paper apps were fine.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a rising 3L, can I apply to paper judges now that have already begun accepting applications but are going to be accepting applications into the federal hiring plan? E.g. there are judges that I know are accepting applications now, but they have listed that they are accepting applications through September (or later). Can I apply to these judges? ... I asked the CSO, and the CSO advisor said no, but my school is a bunch of nazis about applying to off-plan federal judges (it's like they don't realize that we are in a bad economy or something), so I'm not sure if the CSO is being completely honest about this...

As a curious 0L, can somebody explain what this means? I don't understand why the CSO would say no if they are accepting applications.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a rising 3L, can I apply to paper judges now that have already begun accepting applications but are going to be accepting applications into the federal hiring plan? E.g. there are judges that I know are accepting applications now, but they have listed that they are accepting applications through September (or later). Can I apply to these judges? ... I asked the CSO, and the CSO advisor said no, but my school is a bunch of nazis about applying to off-plan federal judges (it's like they don't realize that we are in a bad economy or something), so I'm not sure if the CSO is being completely honest about this...

As a curious 0L, can somebody explain what this means? I don't understand why the CSO would say no if they are accepting applications.

There is a federal clerkship hiring plan that says that federal judges are not suppose to hire until after labor day, and that no applications are to be sent prior to then either. However, many judges just do whatever they want because they are federal judges and there's nothing preventing them from hiring earlier. The CSO's at some schools try to enforce the federal hiring plan by discouraging students from applying earlier than after labor day.

BTW, anon because I'm the OP.

Anyways, does anyone know whether it would be okay to apply to these online judges (via a paper application) that are accepting applications now?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

There is a federal clerkship hiring plan that says that federal judges are not suppose to hire until after labor day, and that no applications are to be sent prior to then either. However, many judges just do whatever they want because they are federal judges and there's nothing preventing them from hiring earlier. The CSO's at some schools try to enforce the federal hiring plan by discouraging students from applying earlier than after labor day.

BTW, anon because I'm the OP.

Anyways, does anyone know whether it would be okay to apply to these online judges that are accepting applications now via paper application?

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

Return to “Legal Employment”