Fluent in Mandarin. How to use that to my advantage?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fluent in Mandarin. How to use that to my advantage?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Rising 3L at CCN, no summer associate position.

What's the best strategy for making use of my language skills? I don't think I can just say that I want to do "China practice" because firms do those things in their Asia offices, and not in their NYC office. Do I just not say anything and hopefully they'll notice the language line on my resume?

Also, since I want to use my Mandarin fluency to get my foot in the door, I'd have to tell them that I'm interested in corporate, right? But that's obviously not doing well in this economy, and my experience is more on the litigation side. How should I handle that?

Anonymous User

Re: Fluent in Mandarin. How to use that to my advantage?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:11 pm

well are you opposed to moving to an office in Asia? if so, then your chinese language skill is not going to help you one bit in getting biglaw. it'll help if you want to join a PI immigration organization, though. you interested in that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well are you opposed to moving to an office in Asia? if so, then your chinese language skill is not going to help you one bit in getting biglaw. it'll help if you want to join a PI immigration organization, though. you interested in that?

I'm not opposed to going to Asia, but my understanding is that most Asia offices do the hirings themselves, so for those I'll have to mail them directly.

For the NYC offices, if I tell them "oh I want to go to Asia," wouldn't they be like "then why are you interviewing with us?"

gglr24

Postby gglr24 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Mandarin is not solely useful in corporate practice... Labor and employment could find this useful as well, particularly the west coast and maybe NYC. I dont see a language skill being a huge boost, but put it on your resume and stress it in your cover letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:14 pm

gglr24 wrote:Mandarin is not solely useful in corporate practice... Labor and employment could find this useful as well, particularly the west coast and maybe NYC. I dont see a language skill being a huge boost, but put it on your resume and stress it in your cover letter.

so when I mass mail firms, I should just have a generic cover letter sent to the recruiter? (instead of one that is tailored to a specific partner in a specific practice group). if it's the latter, then there's the dilemma of whether i should mail a corporate partner in the hope of having my chinese skills noticed, or mail a litigation partner because that's what i have more experience in.

also, what if i'm asked during on-campus interviews what practice group i'm interested in? will saying "i'm open to anything" and letting them decide where my skills are most suited work now that i'm a 3L?

gglr24

Postby gglr24 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Well, of course use judgment for each situation. If, in your research, you find a firm that deals a lot with Chinese corporations, then customize your cover letter. I am not sure about sending it directly to a specific partner. I would say no, but someone else may have a more credible opinion.

Return to “Legal Employment”