Should I out myself to employers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
myrockyourrock911

New

Should I out myself to employers?

Post by myrockyourrock911 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:25 pm

I am Mexican and identify as LGBT. When applying for firm & gov jobs, is it in my benefit for me to list activities on my resume that would reflect this, or would this not matter/hurt me? I have heard many organizations are very conservative and function as an old boy's club, and would not be receptive to this.
What are your thoughts?

TTTGrad

New

Re: Should I out myself to employers?

Post by TTTGrad » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:36 pm

If you have to ask this question, you won't go far as an attorney as you lack common sense judgment. The answer is NO. Keep your sexual preferences out of the workplace. You are Mexican, fine. Your interviewer will notice that. When it comes to sexual orientation, follow the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:38 pm

It can go either way. You should look into the firm. The safe bet is to not mention your sexual preference, since it has nothing to do with your work.

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 pm

It depends on if you think it could work for your advantage or not. If you're working for the military probably not, if you're working in downtown san fran, probably, only because maybe they'll put you out there as the gay mexican to bring in the gay mexican work. I don't think anyone really cares if you're a homosexual or not anymore in the general work place. But remember, once you let the cat out of the bag, you can't put it back in.

HITeacher2

New

Post by HITeacher2 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:49 pm

A good rule to follow would be to check the firm's website. If the firm has a page on diversity and specifically mentions being friendly to LGBT applicants, then by all means out yourself through LGBT-related activities on your resume. Here is an example:

http://www.cgsh.com/about/diversity_and_inclusion/

"In the New York and Washington, D.C. offices, 51% of our associates are women, 34% self-identify as a person of color and 8% self-identify as either lesbian or gay."

Probably a good idea to self-identify here.

Now, if the firm doesn't value diversity (at least not openly) you have to make a pretty important life decision - are you willing to closet yourself in order to advance your professional career? Not outing yourself on your resume is one thing, but eventually people are going to show an interest in your personal life (this is true at virtually all firms) and you're going to have to either pretend to be straight or come out.

It's your choice and there are valid arguments either way, but outing yourself on your resume would help insure that you wouldn't end up working at a firm where you might stop getting work once people find out you're LGBT. Just something to think about.

Full disclosure: 0L Business Major who came out during senior-year recruiting and got job offers at Google, Deloitte Consulting and Teach for America...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:53 pm

lostjake wrote:It depends on if you think it could work for your advantage or not. If you're working for the military probably not, if you're working in downtown san fran, probably, only because maybe they'll put you out there as the gay mexican to bring in the gay mexican work. I don't think anyone really cares if you're a homosexual or not anymore in the general work place. But remember, once you let the cat out of the bag, you can't put it back in.
Untapped niche market?

straxen

Bronze

Post by straxen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:29 pm

myrockyourrock911 wrote:I am Mexican and identify as LGBT. When applying for firm & gov jobs, is it in my benefit for me to list activities on my resume that would reflect this, or would this not matter/hurt me? I have heard many organizations are very conservative and function as an old boy's club, and would not be receptive to this.
What are your thoughts?
If you're ok with being evasive to questions about your personal life in the office, it's probably most conservative to keep it quiet.

That being said, the longer you go without being out, the harder and more awkward it will become...I speak from some experience. I wouldn't say in the interview "oh hey btw, I'm gay" but I don't think you need to actively hide it either. Many firms like to boast about how diverse they are and the gays certainly help. There is a lot to be said for the idea that if you have to hide it from your firm, or they're going to deny an offer over your sexual orientation, it's not a firm you'll be happy with. (Although ITE this philosophy may change).
TTTGrad wrote:If you have to ask this question, you won't go far as an attorney as you lack common sense judgment. The answer is NO. Keep your sexual preferences out of the workplace. You are Mexican, fine. Your interviewer will notice that. When it comes to sexual orientation, follow the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
Do you get some perverse enjoyment out of being a douche or can you just not help it?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Oscar?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:06 am

if a firm is looking to increase their glbt numbers and demonstrate that they have "diverse" associates, then i think it will help. i also think you should do some research and decide on a firm-by-firm basis (ie: firms that are more gay-friendly)

also, if you don't out yourself, are you comfortable with keeping your personal life separate? do you have a significant other and does their opinion matter if you decide to remain in the closet?

my partner of four-years did not come out at her firm and she regrets it. but she is also at a conservative firm and is pretty sure that had she been out she wouldn't have as close of a relationship with some of the other partners and associates - so you really should explore the pros 'n cons. she's invited me to some of the more open events that are extended to friends and family (firm christmas parties, roof top fireworks, or happy hrs), but the more intimate stuff (someone's home), where it would be more obvious...i stay at home.

at this point, she's built such a "straight wall" around her personal life that it would be odd if she decided to come out. so...just think about it and ask attorneys, if you know any, both gay/straight what they think.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 am

LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:It can go either way.
Pun intended?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”