Best chance markets?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WilliamMunny

Best chance markets?

Postby WilliamMunny » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:56 am

T25, above median and near the 1/3 cutoff. I don't feel confident that I can land a firm job this summer in Chicago (the nearest major market). Looking for other markets where I might fare better. Thoughts? Looking at Kansas City, Florida, anything really.

blurbz

Re: Best chance markets?

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:32 am

WilliamMunny wrote:T25, above median and near the 1/3 cutoff. I don't feel confident that I can land a firm job this summer in Chicago (the nearest major market). Looking for other markets where I might fare better. Thoughts? Looking at Kansas City, Florida, anything really.

What about St. Louis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, or Indianapolis?

WilliamMunny

Postby WilliamMunny » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 am

Indianapolis is a thought. But St. Louis, Milwaukee and Minneapolis all have their own schools that are at or near my school in terms of ranking. How do I break out from that crowd? Any thoughts on Las Vegas?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:42 am

I was trying to stay within the region I assumed you were in. You go to Illinois?

It's hard to speculate since most big cities have a law school of some sort that does reasonably well there. I suspect if you're looking at random cities just because they don't serve as a home-market to another school, you may be better served by blanketing the cities you're closest to (and have a connection of some sort to, even if it is just midwestern!) and hoping for the best. If you want cities that aren't served by any high-ranking school, maybe consider Denver, Portland, Albuquerque, and maybe Baltimore in addition to Vegas.

rando

Postby rando » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:59 am

Denver is actually hard to break into if you don't have ties. I would imagine the same for all the other above listed cities. Without stellar grades from your T25, getting into any market without ties would have been near impossible last year. Obviously don't know about this year.

Focus on hometown, where you went to UG, and obviously nearest market to LS.

Return to “Legal Employment”