Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:09 pm

I'm a rising 3L at Columbia, in need of some honest advice. I struck out a 2L OCI and am working for the government this summer; the position won't lead to a full-time offer. My 1L grades were terrible (probably bottom quarter), my 2L grades are ok thus far (above median), but am still waiting on a couple. I'm hoping to stay in NYC after graduation.

How do you guys suggest I go about my job search? I know mass mailing is a must, but what kind of firms should I be targeting? Should I just start mass mailing in July/August to every big/mid/small firm in NYC until I find a job? And what kind of a job should I be expecting at this point (I don't mean this in a presumptuous way, but should I basically take anything I can get)?

I'm just feeling rather lost about this whole thing, hoping you guys can offer some directions. Thanks.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 3L at Columbia, in need of some honest advice. I struck out a 2L OCI and am working for the government this summer; the position won't lead to a full-time offer. My 1L grades were terrible (probably bottom quarter), my 2L grades are ok thus far (above median), but am still waiting on a couple. I'm hoping to stay in NYC after graduation.

How do you guys suggest I go about my job search? I know mass mailing is a must, but what kind of firms should I be targeting? Should I just start mass mailing in July/August to every big/mid/small firm in NYC until I find a job? And what kind of a job should I be expecting at this point (I don't mean this in a presumptuous way, but should I basically take anything I can get)?

I'm just feeling rather lost about this whole thing, hoping you guys can offer some directions. Thanks.


start here http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/gene ... -1ls-(long)/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:07 am

Thanks Matthies. I know networking is important and I'll work on that and try my best. But I'm also terrible at it, so I'll need other avenues. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Voyager
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:32 am

You need to broaden your search. Here are some avenues to explore:

-PMF
-ADA
-Consulting
-JAG
-Small/mid size firms
-Public Defender
-OCI

Your first step should be to go see someone at the Public Interest center at CLS. They are great and will be happy to help you.... but you need to get in there early. Last year, some people in your shoes at CLS waited until the spring to explore public interest. By then, many avenues were closed to them. Get in there as soon as possible.

I would urge you to really think about what jobs you are open to. Big law or bust is no longer reasonable, sorry to say. You should still go to OCI (I had one friend get a big law job out of OCI last year), but it is a long shot.

I would also urge you to look into the PMF. That is a GREAT program... assuming you are ok with not practicing law. Being able to show that you have already worked in the Federal Gov will help a lot. The rest is convincing CLS to nominate you and then crushing the test.

You definitely need to go start speaking to professors. They are eager to help students... well, the good ones are, anyway. They can put you in touch with partners. You don't even need to know the professor very well. Just find one or two who gave you decent grades and are in fields you are interested in. Explain your situation to them and ask for advice.

User avatar
Drew82abndiv
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 am

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Drew82abndiv » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:41 am

Unfortunately I think JAG is out of the question...their acceptance rates have been in the 5% or less region. I would recommend reaching out to every firm you can think of and try pulling some connection strings if you have them. You will be fine...it may take a little longer but you will find a job.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:11 am

If your summer government job is law related, then make contacts & network.
Curious as to the relationship between your LSAT score & your class rank. To what do you attribute your low class rank ? Was your LSAT in the bottom quarter of your class ? Did you feel overwhelmed by law school demands ? What do you enjoy or dislike about law school ? Answers to these questions may help others to make career suggestions.
Do you regret attending a Top 6 law school over your other law school acceptances ? Is the competition too overwhelming at CLS ?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:37 am

Voyager wrote:You need to broaden your search. Here are some avenues to explore:

-PMF
-ADA
-Consulting
-JAG
-Small/mid size firms
-Public Defender
-OCI

Your first step should be to go see someone at the Public Interest center at CLS. They are great and will be happy to help you.... but you need to get in there early. Last year, some people in your shoes at CLS waited until the spring to explore public interest. By then, many avenues were closed to them. Get in there as soon as possible.

I would urge you to really think about what jobs you are open to. Big law or bust is no longer reasonable, sorry to say. You should still go to OCI (I had one friend get a big law job out of OCI last year), but it is a long shot.

I would also urge you to look into the PMF. That is a GREAT program... assuming you are ok with not practicing law. Being able to show that you have already worked in the Federal Gov will help a lot. The rest is convincing CLS to nominate you and then crushing the test.

You definitely need to go start speaking to professors. They are eager to help students... well, the good ones are, anyway. They can put you in touch with partners. You don't even need to know the professor very well. Just find one or two who gave you decent grades and are in fields you are interested in. Explain your situation to them and ask for advice.


Thanks, that was useful.

Yeah, I've all but given up on biglaw. I'd ecstatic if I can land a midsized, or even small, firm. Right now my fear is unemployment. Should I just search for those firms on Martindale or is there some other source that's more targeted?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:42 am

Drew82abndiv wrote:Unfortunately I think JAG is out of the question...their acceptance rates have been in the 5% or less region. I would recommend reaching out to every firm you can think of and try pulling some connection strings if you have them. You will be fine...it may take a little longer but you will find a job.


I hope so too. I really hope to avoid graduating unemployed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:52 am

CanadianWolf wrote:If your summer government job is law related, then make contacts & network.
Curious as to the relationship between your LSAT score & your class rank. To what do you attribute your low class rank ? Was your LSAT in the bottom quarter of your class ? Did you feel overwhelmed by law school demands ? What do you enjoy or dislike about law school ? Answers to these questions may help others to make career suggestions.
Do you regret attending a Top 6 law school over your other law school acceptances ? Is the competition too overwhelming at CLS ?


CLS' median for the class of 2011 is 3.71/172. Both my GPA and LSAT are above that. I didn't feel overwhelmed by law school at all, and I understood the material well.

I think I just had a tough time figuring out how to write law school exams. Law school exams is an art all in itself, and it took me too long to understand that. I got more comfortable with it my 2L year and my 2L grades are pretty decent.

User avatar
on_ne_sait_jamais
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:57 am

CanadianWolf wrote:If your summer government job is law related, then make contacts & network.
Curious as to the relationship between your LSAT score & your class rank. To what do you attribute your low class rank ? Was your LSAT in the bottom quarter of your class ? Did you feel overwhelmed by law school demands ? What do you enjoy or dislike about law school ? Answers to these questions may help others to make career suggestions.
Do you regret attending a Top 6 law school over your other law school acceptances ? Is the competition too overwhelming at CLS ?


Really are you this much of a douche?? You're obviously a 0L or at a T/crap, because not one self respecting student at a decent school would ask the questions of the OP that you just asked. You're seriously retarded. What was the relationship between your lsat score and your class rank??? You're really a douchebag if you think that is the most important determining factor... Once again, you will arrive on campus and your LSAT, UG GPA, and size of your dingleberries don't matter!!! This kid has a hard road ahead of him and all you can ask is what was your lsat score?? Kids like you is why I hate law school, (fyi at a t-14, and so much higher than the median, that i just laugh at douchebags like you).

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby 06132010 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:30 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If your summer government job is law related, then make contacts & network.
Curious as to the relationship between your LSAT score & your class rank. To what do you attribute your low class rank ? Was your LSAT in the bottom quarter of your class ? Did you feel overwhelmed by law school demands ? What do you enjoy or dislike about law school ? Answers to these questions may help others to make career suggestions.
Do you regret attending a Top 6 law school over your other law school acceptances ? Is the competition too overwhelming at CLS ?


you know like 90% of us essentially have the same LSAT score, right? a couple of points doesn't mean anything.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:33 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:If your summer government job is law related, then make contacts & network.
Curious as to the relationship between your LSAT score & your class rank. To what do you attribute your low class rank ? Was your LSAT in the bottom quarter of your class ? Did you feel overwhelmed by law school demands ? What do you enjoy or dislike about law school ? Answers to these questions may help others to make career suggestions.
Do you regret attending a Top 6 law school over your other law school acceptances ? Is the competition too overwhelming at CLS ?


Really are you this much of a douche?? You're obviously a 0L or at a T/crap, because not one self respecting student at a decent school would ask the questions of the OP that you just asked. You're seriously retarded. What was the relationship between your lsat score and your class rank??? You're really a douchebag if you think that is the most important determining factor... Once again, you will arrive on campus and your LSAT, UG GPA, and size of your dingleberries don't matter!!! This kid has a hard road ahead of him and all you can ask is what was your lsat score?? Kids like you is why I hate law school, (fyi at a t-14, and so much higher than the median, that i just laugh at douchebags like you).


CanadianWolf is one of the most insufferable assclowns on this board, and is almost 100% wrong about every single thing he ever posts (seriously, search his post history). Don't let him get you all riled up.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:47 pm

Renzo wrote:
on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:If your summer government job is law related, then make contacts & network.
Curious as to the relationship between your LSAT score & your class rank. To what do you attribute your low class rank ? Was your LSAT in the bottom quarter of your class ? Did you feel overwhelmed by law school demands ? What do you enjoy or dislike about law school ? Answers to these questions may help others to make career suggestions.
Do you regret attending a Top 6 law school over your other law school acceptances ? Is the competition too overwhelming at CLS ?


Really are you this much of a douche?? You're obviously a 0L or at a T/crap, because not one self respecting student at a decent school would ask the questions of the OP that you just asked. You're seriously retarded. What was the relationship between your lsat score and your class rank??? You're really a douchebag if you think that is the most important determining factor... Once again, you will arrive on campus and your LSAT, UG GPA, and size of your dingleberries don't matter!!! This kid has a hard road ahead of him and all you can ask is what was your lsat score?? Kids like you is why I hate law school, (fyi at a t-14, and so much higher than the median, that i just laugh at douchebags like you).


CanadianWolf is one of the most insufferable assclowns on this board, and is almost 100% wrong about every single thing he ever posts (seriously, search his post history). Don't let him get you all riled up.


+100000. He would make the list for "Top Ten Worst Posters on TLS."

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:52 pm

I attended & graduated law school decades ago so my perspective tends to differ from many of the younger know-it-all type college grads or law school students.
Several of my classmates who matriculated into law school with very high GPAs & and strong LSATs had a tough time during their first year of law school primarily because they tended to use the same study & testing methods that brought them success in undergraduate school, just as you indicated in your last post, but they graduated with high class ranks because their work ethic led to success in the second & third year of law school after they learned to study & take exams for law school.

User avatar
DerrickRose
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby DerrickRose » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:49 pm

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:If your summer government job is law related, then make contacts & network.
Curious as to the relationship between your LSAT score & your class rank. To what do you attribute your low class rank ? Was your LSAT in the bottom quarter of your class ? Did you feel overwhelmed by law school demands ? What do you enjoy or dislike about law school ? Answers to these questions may help others to make career suggestions.
Do you regret attending a Top 6 law school over your other law school acceptances ? Is the competition too overwhelming at CLS ?


Really are you this much of a douche?? You're obviously a 0L or at a T/crap, because not one self respecting student at a decent school would ask the questions of the OP that you just asked. You're seriously retarded. What was the relationship between your lsat score and your class rank??? You're really a douchebag if you think that is the most important determining factor... Once again, you will arrive on campus and your LSAT, UG GPA, and size of your dingleberries don't matter!!! This kid has a hard road ahead of him and all you can ask is what was your lsat score?? Kids like you is why I hate law school, (fyi at a t-14, and so much higher than the median, that i just laugh at douchebags like you).


I thought they were worthwhile, if a little intrusive, questions. I've been pondering them with respect to my own performance lately. Then again I'm probably a Top Ten Worst Poster too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273145
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:08 pm

what 2L classes did you take?

hithere
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby hithere » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Join the Army?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Job Search Advice for a Rising 3L

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:41 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I attended & graduated law school decades ago so my perspective tends to differ from many of the younger know-it-all type college grads or law school students.
Several of my classmates who matriculated into law school with very high GPAs & and strong LSATs had a tough time during their first year of law school primarily because they tended to use the same study & testing methods that brought them success in undergraduate school, just as you indicated in your last post, but they graduated with high class ranks because their work ethic led to success in the second & third year of law school after they learned to study & take exams for law school.

Oh, did I mention he's a flat-out liar? What attorney with "decades" of experience would be lurking this board asking questions like "Do you regret attending a Top 6 law school over your other law school acceptances ?"




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.