below median--any chance at getting a legal job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kohinoor

Re: below median--any chance at getting a legal job?

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Hiei wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:I'm a 0L. But from lurking on TLS for some time, I think a lot of people who are actually attending law school would want to know where you go to school:D

CCN/B/[strike]MVP/T13/T1/T2/[/strike]TTT

ftfy

Man you really love Boalt; maybe you shouldn't have taken UVA over them? lol I've heard that lateral transfers are pretty easy so you may want to go for it (I think small jumps are easy to make too so going from UVA to Columbia or Chicago might not be hard either) and see if they will still give you that partial scholarship.

I'm good. Not enough seersucker at Boalt.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:26 pm

dempsey wrote:The school in question is Wisconsin. Good school, but not t-14, which apparently embarrasses the OP, as revealed by her earlier posts. Apparently she was intending to transfer to a higher ranked school after gaining top 10% grades. Guess that didn't work out so well.

OMG :lol: :lol: :lol:.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:08 pm

keg411 wrote:
dempsey wrote:The school in question is Wisconsin. Good school, but not t-14, which apparently embarrasses the OP, as revealed by her earlier posts. Apparently she was intending to transfer to a higher ranked school after gaining top 10% grades. Guess that didn't work out so well.

OMG :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Awww, thats sad but pretty funny

dempsey

Postby dempsey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:22 pm

The OP is not particularly sympathetic given her aforementioned posts concerning the shame she felt attending (George Mason?) and her oft-stated intent to transfer. It seems if anything it was too fine a school for her.
Last edited by dempsey on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:49 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dempsey

Postby dempsey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:58 pm

my bad on the school being Wisconsin. Is it Mason? still, if OP is worried about falling below Median, probably wasn't remotely close to top 10% first semester...but still, my error on the first part

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Anyone have any recent data on how far down the rankings one could still land a legal job at, say, 50-70% class rank?

OP, why not share your school? It'd make the thread much better.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 pm

never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:13 pm

thesealocust wrote: then you will get it the way most people get most jobs - through pounding flesh

:?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:39 pm

never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

byunbee

Postby byunbee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:
James Bond wrote:
thesealocust wrote: then you will get it the way most people get most jobs - through pounding flesh

:?

lol, that may not have been what I meant to say. I was searching for a common metaphor for shaking hands... but perhaps I misrecalled :P

i don't think that's a metaphor for shaking hands. :lol:

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 pm

thesealocust wrote:If you can't get a job through competitive meritocratic hiring (OCI, fed gov, etc.) then you will get it the way most people get most jobs - through pounding flesh

I think you meant "pressing flesh". That's an old-timey expression for what politicians do, yeah? Along with "glad-handing". Except, now that I think about it, neither of those expressions sounds any less dirty than what you said.

So yeah.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:
The person who finished last at Cooley will land a legal job with leg work and connections. If you can't get a job through competitive meritocratic hiring (OCI, fed gov, etc.) then you will get it the way most people get most jobs - through pounding flesh and getting your name out there (see, e.g., the gorilla guide to getting the legal job of your dreams). Grades matter muuuuuch less once they've failed to get you a 'pipeline' type job.

Wow, this is inspiring.

Do people agree with the degree to which this is accurate? [to be fair, we'll assume the person who finished last at Cooley did so due to slack-offery rather than general incompetence.]

Is keeping your personal image of 'pounding flesh' in your mind necessary for inspirational purposes when overcoming such odds?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:47 pm

never mind

enygma

Postby enygma » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Scallywaggums wrote:Anyone have any recent data on how far down the rankings one could still land a legal job at, say, 50-70% class rank?

OP, why not share your school? It'd make the thread much better.

OP is at mason.

The person who finished last at Cooley will land a legal job with leg work and connections. If you can't get a job through competitive meritocratic hiring (OCI, fed gov, etc.) then you will get it the way most people get most jobs - through pounding flesh and getting your name out there (see, e.g., the gorilla guide to getting the legal job of your dreams). Grades matter muuuuuch less once they've failed to get you a 'pipeline' type job.

i think you're being generous. the top 5 people at cooley are having incredible difficulty with leg work.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:25 am

enygma wrote:
thesealocust wrote:The person who finished last at Cooley will land a legal job with leg work and connections.

...the top 5 people at cooley are having incredible difficulty with leg work.

Anyone know anyone at Cooley?

enygma

Postby enygma » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:28 am

Scallywaggums wrote:
enygma wrote:
thesealocust wrote:The person who finished last at Cooley will land a legal job with leg work and connections.

...the top 5 people at cooley are having incredible difficulty with leg work.

Anyone know anyone at Cooley?

i ran into two at a job fair kinda thing and was waiting in line with them. they were scrambling.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:38 pm

I was really, really hoping you wouldn't say something like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:33 pm

I'll start by saying that I have no intention of quitting LS regardless of how OCI or my job search in general goes.

I am below median at one of the schools ranked 15 (still above a 3.0 - barely - and that is obviously not good). I am on a journal (secondary) and am in a couple organizations (VP of one).

What are my chances of finding a job at OCI? My guess is slim to none, but I figured I would ask here. Basically is networking my only option? Or should I just go get a pointless MBA after or something?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:29 pm

thesealocust wrote: If you can't get a job through competitive meritocratic hiring (OCI, fed gov, etc.) then you will get it the way most people get most jobs - through pounding flesh and getting your name out there (see, e.g., the gorilla guide to getting the legal job of your dreams). Grades matter muuuuuch less once they've failed to get you a 'pipeline' type job.

You might have meant Guerilla.

The Brainalist

Postby The Brainalist » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 pm

JOThompson wrote:
thesealocust wrote: If you can't get a job through competitive meritocratic hiring (OCI, fed gov, etc.) then you will get it the way most people get most jobs - through pounding flesh and getting your name out there (see, e.g., the gorilla guide to getting the legal job of your dreams). Grades matter muuuuuch less once they've failed to get you a 'pipeline' type job.

I think he means you should pound the flesh of your enemies in the manner of a large angry primate.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll start by saying that I have no intention of quitting LS regardless of how OCI or my job search in general goes.

I am below median at one of the schools ranked 15 (still above a 3.0 - barely - and that is obviously not good). I am on a journal (secondary) and am in a couple organizations (VP of one).

What are my chances of finding a job at OCI? My guess is slim to none, but I figured I would ask here. Basically is networking my only option? Or should I just go get a pointless MBA after or something?

Dancing around a 3.0 sounds like bottom 1%. That's gonna hurt you.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:08 pm

JOThompson wrote:

You must be a 0L. :roll:

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

You must be a 0L. :roll:

wut

Return to “Legal Employment”