Rescheduling an existing internship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rescheduling an existing internship?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I just started my post-1L summer internship. So far I've had 2 days of orientation and 1 day of observation so I don't have any assignments so far. This internship is unpaid and I'm scheduled to be there 3 days/week for school credit.

I just got contacted from another organization that they would like to hire me part-time 3 days/week. I would really like to take this offer b/c it's in an area I want to work in after I graduate. It is a paid position.

Would it be OK to ask my current internship if they would be willing to cut me to 2 days/week? The days originally were of my choosing and I can still adjust the credit hours I receive at school. I haven't accepted any assignments yet either so there wouldn't be any hardship. Or is this a Very Bad Idea?

If I do ask, can/should I mention the financial aspect? My spouse was unemployed for 6 months and we've been living off savings/credit/loans. Having the extra paycheck would really help us out.

Thanks in advance!

wiseowl

Silver

Re: Rescheduling an existing internship?

Post by wiseowl » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Although you haven't accepted any assignments yet, that doesn't mean the organization hasn't planned around you doing so.

if there's any negotiating to be done at all, it's with this new paid johnny come lately job. pretty poor form of them to be just now offering you the first week of June, unless you just now applied

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”