Looks and firm life

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
burvowski

Re: Looks and firm life

Postby burvowski » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:28 pm

burvowski wrote:Attractivness helps a lot, but so does being really smart and competent in your field, which always trumps looks. How attractive was Einstein? Or Yo-Yo Ma? Clarence Darrow? Bill Gates? Sarah Jessica Parker? (ok just kidding on that one)

Make an effort to look good, but not to a point that it interferes with you being good at what you do.

Agreed. Do the best with what you got.

I wonder what would have happened if Einstein had looked like a young Brad Pitt.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:33 pm

TTTGrad wrote:
chrisokc wrote:I firmly believe that everyone - regardless of gender - should take steps to improve his or her physical appearance. Lose some weight if you need to. Exercise. Get a decent haircut. Make sure your clothes are stylish (not necessarily trendy). Don't gnaw your fingernails. Don't have unusual facial hair. Go easy on the hair product. Go easy on the makeup. Get a reasonable amount of sun. If you wear glasses, don't try to be too cheap with your frames.

You don't have to be rich to look your best.

This is decent advice. With respect to glasses, I detest the douches that wear the Dolce & Gabanna frames with the ghetto fabulous D&G logo on the temples (rhinestone or large font, take your pick). I wear a pair of Bvlgari frames that cost about 75% of a SA's paycheck after taxes but the frames are very subtle and the Bvlgari brand name does not show. Also, a few years ago a SA showed up on his first day with the "Perry Ellis" label still sewn on his sleeve (which I noted was irregular because that sleeve was longer than the other). Don't be a douche, remove the label.

I've seen Bvlgari frames. I was always too scared of the pronunciation to inquire very much about them.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:36 pm

TTTGrad wrote:Also, a few years ago a SA showed up on his first day with the "Perry Ellis" label still sewn on his sleeve (which I noted was irregular because that sleeve was longer than the other). Don't be a douche, remove the label.

To be fair, he may have just not understood that you are supposed to take the label off of a suit (I don't think this is always made clear to a lot of men who are buying their first suit) and the tailor may have neglected to do it for him.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:41 pm

bk1 wrote:
TTTGrad wrote:Also, a few years ago a SA showed up on his first day with the "Perry Ellis" label still sewn on his sleeve (which I noted was irregular because that sleeve was longer than the other). Don't be a douche, remove the label.

To be fair, he may have just not understood that you are supposed to take the label off of a suit (I don't think this is always made clear to a lot of men who are buying their first suit) and the tailor may have neglected to do it for him.

Yeah, that's one of those times when you do the guy a favor and take him aside and explain that it should have been removed. Unless he's also wearing white D&G frames.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Welll...I guess it couldn't hurt to look good.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Welll...I guess it couldn't hurt to look good.

Wellllllllllll...

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/woman-cl ... ttractive/

wrichcirw

Postby wrichcirw » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
mallard wrote:sorostitutes

--ImageRemoved--

Also: ^^^ jmheendri FTW.

So...who's the pimp? :shock:

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:54 pm

mallard wrote:This thread is worthless without pictures.

+1... how has this thread survived so long without them? (real, TLS-er ones, not Megan Fox)

burvowski

Postby burvowski » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:04 pm

me and another law student I plan on doing business with after school. do you guys think my looks are professional enough for firm life? I'm not shooting for big law or anything, but I'd like to be respected in the workplace

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 06132010 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:06 pm

dresden doll wrote:
mallard wrote:
DerrickRose wrote:She's a two face.

But cleaned up Hollywood style, she would definitely be hot.

That's the thing, above a certain percentile in terms of attractiveness, most of the battle is how you take care of yourself.

I don't agree. I actually think that it's above a certain percentile but below a certain other percentile. I mean, mostly in the 5-8 range - that's where proper care has a lot of purchase. Which is why law school girls tend, in my view, actually to be more attractive than the average female, even of their age. They tend to take care of themselves. However, it's incredibly rare to see someone in law who has been gifted with real actual beauty (9-10 range).

But maybe this speaks to my aesthetics and my preferences.

And I agree that if Megan Fox were in BP tinychat people would be fapping away. That doesn't necessarily mean the widespread plaudits for her good looks are deserved.

I agree with this. The vast majority of my female classmates are in good shape, and many dress with care too. They definitely tend to take care of themselves more so than the average person.

Also, lots of them are rather cute. I don't know where all this law-school-girls-are-unattractive meme comes from, actually. It is not at all correct in my experience.

+1 the girls here are decent. the guys are much less attractive.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:52 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:54 am

burvowski wrote:Attractivness helps a lot, but so does being really smart and competent in your field, which always trumps looks. How attractive was Einstein? Or Yo-Yo Ma? Clarence Darrow? Bill Gates? Sarah Jessica Parker? (ok just kidding on that one)

Make an effort to look good, but not to a point that it interferes with you being good at what you do.

sarahjessicaparkerlookslikeahorse.com

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:Welll...I guess it couldn't hurt to look good.

Wellllllllllll...

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/woman-cl ... ttractive/

Lol except for her. Or maybe she hated her job anyway and getting fired was the one way she could get out of it.

Return to “Legal Employment”