Suit Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm

A'nold wrote:Thanks guys. I don't really get the third interview thing either, but maybe this is a good sign? Anyway, I've worn the charcoal suit with a white shirt underneath and the same tie twice now......so those who have suggested a different shirt, what color?


Blue. Light blue, not French blue.

User avatar
mstaten
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby mstaten » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm

Charcoal FTW. Pair it with a nice white shirt and a snazzy tie. Keep it classy, A'nold.

User avatar
redsox
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby redsox » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm

A'nold wrote:Thanks guys. I don't really get the third interview thing either, but maybe this is a good sign? Anyway, I've worn the charcoal suit with a white shirt underneath and the same tie twice now......so those who have suggested a different shirt, what color?


Light, dull blue or a very inoffensive pink.

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:27 pm

A'nold wrote:Thanks guys. I don't really get the third interview thing either, but maybe this is a good sign? Anyway, I've worn the charcoal suit with a white shirt underneath and the same tie twice now......so those who have suggested a different shirt, what color?


Something light that you can pair nicely with one of your ties.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Suit Question

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 pm

^

It's already been said: because people associate them with funerals. Or the mod squad. Neither's appropriate for the office.

User avatar
mstaten
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby mstaten » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 pm

rad law wrote:Blue. Light blue, not French blue.

+1

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 pm

A'nold wrote:Thanks guys. I don't really get the third interview thing either, but maybe this is a good sign? Anyway, I've worn the charcoal suit with a white shirt underneath and the same tie twice now......so those who have suggested a different shirt, what color?

Seriously, in an interview I'd be very conservative. Light blue or a conservative stripe or check (thin light blue, navy, or black stripes on white).

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23852
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:30 pm

A'nold wrote:Thanks guys. I don't really get the third interview thing either, but maybe this is a good sign? Anyway, I've worn the charcoal suit with a white shirt underneath and the same tie twice now......so those who have suggested a different shirt, what color?


Wear a white shirt again, but wear a different tie.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks guys, this has been extremely helpful. :)

Posner
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby Posner » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:15 pm

...
Last edited by Posner on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby rbgrocio » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:19 pm

I have four suits:

2 are black (one pants, one skirt), and then I have a navy one and a gray one. Really, the only time you have to wear a suit is for interviews and court. At the office no one wears a suit unless they are going to court.

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:21 pm

ellakay wrote:I've worked in really informal business settings thus far, so this whole "no black suit ever" thing is new to me. Just curious--why are black suits such a no-no?


Possibly a dumb question, but does this also go for females?

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:22 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:The black suit is the greatest weapon in any man's sartorial arsenal, and it saddens me that anyone would be petty enough to mark someone down for wearing one simply because it does not fit the tradition of conservative dress. That said, people with power over you can often be extremely petty, and I'm guessing you don't want to take any chances. Stick with the charcoal.


TITCR.

06072010
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby 06072010 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:23 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
ellakay wrote:I've worked in really informal business settings thus far, so this whole "no black suit ever" thing is new to me. Just curious--why are black suits such a no-no?


Possibly a dumb question, but does this also go for females?


Negative. Saw lots of black on females at the firm. Almost never on guys.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Wear the white shirt and buy a nice new tie A'nold!

Thread/

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby JordynAsh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:30 pm

PKSebben wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
ellakay wrote:I've worked in really informal business settings thus far, so this whole "no black suit ever" thing is new to me. Just curious--why are black suits such a no-no?


Possibly a dumb question, but does this also go for females?


Negative. Saw lots of black on females at the firm. Almost never on guys.


Thank goodness. I love my black suit and it was pretty expensive. Thanks!

User avatar
Ronaldo
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby Ronaldo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
ellakay wrote:I've worked in really informal business settings thus far, so this whole "no black suit ever" thing is new to me. Just curious--why are black suits such a no-no?


Possibly a dumb question, but does this also go for females?


Negative. Saw lots of black on females at the firm. Almost never on guys.


Thank goodness. I love my black suit and it was pretty expensive. Thanks!


+1

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Suit Question

Postby Renzo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:45 pm

PKSebben wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
ellakay wrote:I've worked in really informal business settings thus far, so this whole "no black suit ever" thing is new to me. Just curious--why are black suits such a no-no?


Possibly a dumb question, but does this also go for females?


Negative. Saw lots of black on females at the firm. Almost never on guys.

I've seen plenty of black suits on men at the more formal firms. I wouldn't chance it in an interview, though.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: Suit Question

Postby angiej » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:55 pm

A'nold wrote:So, I'm on my third interview and only own two suits: a charcoal one and a black one. I've now worn the charcoal one twice. Help?


This might be helpful:
http://mylawschooldreams.wordpress.com/
4. Attire.

You may have or may not have been concerned with your attire during law school, and sure you probably had to dress up on occasion for mock trials, interviews, socials, etc. I would say most of the associates in my firm attempt to look professional, but there are usually a few things lacking.Wrinkles. Most of the associates have wrinkled clothing. I can’t figure it out, perhaps they just wash their clothes and leave them in a hamper all crimpled up? Hanging your clothing takes 10 mins and will ensure a smooth garment. Even if you do not have time to remove a piece of clothing from the dryer promptly at the end of the cycle, or all you have time for is throwing it in a hamper and can’t hang the garment, at least take a few mins to steam a shirt before wearing it. I do not recommend ironing as it is tricky, and it takes a lot of time. While you may not be able to get the same creases with steaming as you can with an iron, steaming will at least get the wrinkles out. Clean lines and pressed seams do not get much attention anyway, but wrinkles do. Handheld steamers run $20 to $50. Do not get on that has a hose, as this often creates spurting which will leave water spots on your clothing. My favorite steamer is the Joy Mongano “my little steamer” which is often sold on HSN in a variety of colors.

Color Matching and Pattern Clashing. Most females do a pretty good job with this, so I’m speaking mostly to the males here. First, identify if one piece of clothing has a pattern. If said article of clothing has a pattern, DO NOT MIX WITH ANOTHER PATTERN! This is pertinent and you are sure to look like a clown if you wear more than one pattern. The simplest way to wear patterns is to wear a plain, one color collared shirt with a patterned tie. Somewhere within the tie, there should be at least one color that matches identically to the color of said collared shirt. Some stores make this really easy by allowing you to buy a “pre-made” combo, this really takes the guess work out of the equation. You can usually find a shirt in your size that provides a perfectly matching tie and voila your good to go!

Black is easy and is most acceptable in the law profession. The first clothing purchase you make should be a black suit. As an associate you may not have a lot of money, so hit the sales at Macy’s and rather than having the suit tailored at the store, (you must have it tailored) buy it untailored and take it to a local tailor, this will save some cash and usually will come out more “tailored” than if you had left it at Macy’s for them to ship off to a seamstress that never even saw you.For the ladies, its important to look professional but do not misinterpret “professional” to mean “boring.” Ladies can often find suit sets easier and for less money than men. Again, Macy’s is usually pretty good and can be cheaper than going Ann Taylor. I know it may be cheasy, but Dress Barn is also a really good place to find professional looking outfits, though their attire seems to be more geared to the 35 and up crowd. You should look professional, but not older than your age; it just looks like your faking it and its like a square peg in a round hole, it just doesn’t match up.

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:59 pm

angiej wrote:
A'nold wrote:So, I'm on my third interview and only own two suits: a charcoal one and a black one. I've now worn the charcoal one twice. Help?


This might be helpful:
http://mylawschooldreams.wordpress.com/
4. Attire.

You may have or may not have been concerned with your attire during law school, and sure you probably had to dress up on occasion for mock trials, interviews, socials, etc. I would say most of the associates in my firm attempt to look professional, but there are usually a few things lacking.Wrinkles. Most of the associates have wrinkled clothing. I can’t figure it out, perhaps they just wash their clothes and leave them in a hamper all crimpled up? Hanging your clothing takes 10 mins and will ensure a smooth garment. Even if you do not have time to remove a piece of clothing from the dryer promptly at the end of the cycle, or all you have time for is throwing it in a hamper and can’t hang the garment, at least take a few mins to steam a shirt before wearing it. I do not recommend ironing as it is tricky, and it takes a lot of time. While you may not be able to get the same creases with steaming as you can with an iron, steaming will at least get the wrinkles out. Clean lines and pressed seams do not get much attention anyway, but wrinkles do. Handheld steamers run $20 to $50. Do not get on that has a hose, as this often creates spurting which will leave water spots on your clothing. My favorite steamer is the Joy Mongano “my little steamer” which is often sold on HSN in a variety of colors.

Color Matching and Pattern Clashing. Most females do a pretty good job with this, so I’m speaking mostly to the males here. First, identify if one piece of clothing has a pattern. If said article of clothing has a pattern, DO NOT MIX WITH ANOTHER PATTERN! This is pertinent and you are sure to look like a clown if you wear more than one pattern. The simplest way to wear patterns is to wear a plain, one color collared shirt with a patterned tie. Somewhere within the tie, there should be at least one color that matches identically to the color of said collared shirt. Some stores make this really easy by allowing you to buy a “pre-made” combo, this really takes the guess work out of the equation. You can usually find a shirt in your size that provides a perfectly matching tie and voila your good to go!

Black is easy and is most acceptable in the law profession. The first clothing purchase you make should be a black suit. As an associate you may not have a lot of money, so hit the sales at Macy’s and rather than having the suit tailored at the store, (you must have it tailored) buy it untailored and take it to a local tailor, this will save some cash and usually will come out more “tailored” than if you had left it at Macy’s for them to ship off to a seamstress that never even saw you.For the ladies, its important to look professional but do not misinterpret “professional” to mean “boring.” Ladies can often find suit sets easier and for less money than men. Again, Macy’s is usually pretty good and can be cheaper than going Ann Taylor. I know it may be cheasy, but Dress Barn is also a really good place to find professional looking outfits, though their attire seems to be more geared to the 35 and up crowd. You should look professional, but not older than your age; it just looks like your faking it and its like a square peg in a round hole, it just doesn’t match up.


Novice advice, at best.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:Wear the white shirt and buy a nice new tie A'nold!

Thread/


Thanks matlock! :)

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Suit Question

Postby underdawg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:03 pm

lol i still own one suit. charcoal. it was a stressful OCI though, rushing home to make sure i didn't spill shit on it, steaming it up every night, ugh.

but seriously no one is going to notice you wore the same suit. heck for OCI to callbacks, you can wear the same suit, and no one will notice or care.

but yeah owning one suit is oh so stressful

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Suit Question

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:09 pm

underdawg wrote:lol i still own one suit. charcoal. it was a stressful OCI though, rushing home to make sure i didn't spill shit on it, steaming it up every night, ugh.

but seriously no one is going to notice you wore the same suit. heck for OCI to callbacks, you can wear the same suit, and no one will notice or care.

but yeah owning one suit is oh so stressful


Interesting. I was thinking of buying a navy suit so I had two for OCI season. I probably still will, but it's nice to know that they didn't notice.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: Suit Question

Postby underdawg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 pm

if its some crazy loud ass pinstriped suit they might notice. but imagine how many people they are interviewing, how much work they have to do, etc. would you notice something like that? only if it was super effing ugly would i remember




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.