Suit Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Suit Question

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:31 pm

So, I'm on my third interview and only own two suits: a charcoal one and a black one. I've now worn the charcoal one twice. Help?

Thirteen

Re: Suit Question

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Wear a white shirt to every interview, but wear a different tie.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:37 pm

A'nold wrote:So, I'm on my third interview and only own two suits: a charcoal one and a black one. I've now worn the charcoal one twice. Help?

um, the black one then? WTF this is too much like an LSAT question.

A'nold has two suits, one charcole one balck. A'nold wears chrckole suit twice, in 2 interviews, on thied interview A'naold wears balck. If A'nold choses to wear charcol what are A'nold chaces of geting job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Black is generally considered pretty formal... No navy suit?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Black is generally considered pretty formal... No navy suit?

This. Black suits are generally a no-no in everyday business.

Postby 174 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:01 pm

0L Disclaimer

I can't see the black suit being that much of an issue as long as you don't look like you work at a funeral home. Pair it up with a lighter tie and a white shirt and you should look fine.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Black suits are for morticians and tarantino movies. Get a navy one.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:05 pm

O.k., so let me revise the question: I am a poor, poor bastard. I have two suits. I've been told over and over again that a black suit is a no-no. So, do I have to go buy a navy suit tonight and risk being homeless? :wink:

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Black suits are usually fine, though can seem a little "fashion-forward."

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Hahaha it's an investment! Put it on a credit card. :)

EDIT: To the poster above...black suits ARE NOT FINE for ANY business setting. They just aren't.
Last edited by MrKappus on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:06 pm

A'nold wrote:O.k., so let me revise the question: I am a poor, poor bastard. I have two suits. I've been told over and over again that a black suit is a no-no. So, do I have to go buy a navy suit tonight and risk being homeless? :wink:

Wear the charcoal one again?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 pm

A'nold wrote:O.k., so let me revise the question: I am a poor, poor bastard. I have two suits. I've been told over and over again that a black suit is a no-no. So, do I have to go buy a navy suit tonight and risk being homeless? :wink:

Wear the charcoal suit again. No one will think it's a bad thing: they understand that you're a broke 1L. Polish your shoes, wear a crisp white dress shirt that fits, and you'll be good to go.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 pm

rad law wrote:

This is what I am wondering.......is this kosher or will I look retarded?

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Thirteen wrote:

Wear the charcoal suit again. No one will think it's a bad thing: they understand that you're a broke 1L. Polish your shoes, wear a crisp white dress shirt that fits, and you'll be good to go.

Thanks. So, charcoal a 3rd time >>> black b/c black sucks?

kn6542

Postby kn6542 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:09 pm

A'nold wrote:
rad law wrote:

I don't get it. Are you interviewing with the same employer repeatedly? How would your previous interviewers know wtf you're wearing for a 3rd interview? What makes you think anyone is going to notice or care?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:10 pm

A'nold wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Thanks. So, charcoal a 3rd time >>> black b/c black sucks?

Black doesn't suck, but charcoal is the better choice for an interview.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 pm

On a sidenote, what the heck can they learn from/about you during a third interview that they didn't learn in the first two???

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 pm

A'nold wrote:
rad law wrote:

Last job I interviewed for I wore the same suit 2 interviews in a row with a different shirt and tie. I don't think anyone noticed or cared.

excelsiorcaelo

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:16 pm

The black suit is the greatest weapon in any man's sartorial arsenal, and it saddens me that anyone would be petty enough to mark someone down for wearing one simply because it does not fit the tradition of conservative dress. That said, people with power over you can often be extremely petty, and I'm guessing you don't want to take any chances. Stick with the charcoal.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks guys. I don't really get the third interview thing either, but maybe this is a good sign? Anyway, I've worn the charcoal suit with a white shirt underneath and the same tie twice now......so those who have suggested a different shirt, what color?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:21 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:The black suit is the greatest weapon in any man's sartorial arsenal, and it saddens me that anyone would be petty enough to mark someone down for wearing one simply because it does not fit the tradition of conservative dress. That said, people with power over you can often be extremely petty, and I'm guessing you don't want to take any chances. Stick with the charcoal.

Absolutely, but think about why it's so striking: it's aggressive, which is the one thing you don't want to be in an interview. Charcoal projects confidence without the aggression.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 pm

A'nold wrote:Thanks guys. I don't really get the third interview thing either, but maybe this is a good sign? Anyway, I've worn the charcoal suit with a white shirt underneath and the same tie twice now......so those who have suggested a different shirt, what color?

Magenta

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:23 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:[strike]The black suit is the greatest weapon in any man's sartorial arsenal[/strike], and it saddens me that anyone would be petty enough to mark someone down for wearing one simply because it does not fit the tradition of conservative dress. That said, people with power over you can often be extremely petty, and I'm guessing you don't want to take any chances. Stick with the charcoal.

No, it's not, unless you go to tons of funerals or have occasion to wear dressy evening wear every so often. I agree with the rest though.

ellakay

Postby ellakay » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm

I've worked in really informal business settings thus far, so this whole "no black suit ever" thing is new to me. Just curious--why are black suits such a no-no?

Return to “Legal Employment”