Summer temp-negotiate or even accept,what about credentials?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer temp-negotiate or even accept,what about credentials?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:12 pm

I have a BS and Master's EE from Top10 and patent pros. exp, and have a few summer temp work offers lined up with IP firms in Chi and SF, mainly doing some IP/patent pros. work. These guys are paying like 15-20/hr. I know the economy is of course very difficult right now, but I don't want to undersell myself. Would I be a fool to try to negotiate it to like twenty five or thirty/hour, or should I just accept and not negotiate? Sure, the economy is tough, but with my background and experiences and even the offer with some prestigious IP firms, I'm not sure I would consider 15-20. I know I can't pick and chose what I want ITE. But on the other hand, I feel some experience > no experience even if it is just temporary like few months, so I'm a bit confused!

Is anybody in a similar situation or experienced anything similar?

Thoughts on how to negotiate or proceed?

Thanks.

nycparalegal

Re: Summer temp-negotiate or even accept,what about credentials?

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:30 pm

Well, I'm not in law school yet but I've had a few job offers in my time. The best thing to do is be honest and say "I'm interested in the job but is the salary/wage negotiable".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, bump for other opinions/comments?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Are you in law school? If so, what school? What are your grades? Do these prosecution positions come with the possibility of doing an SA next summer? Are they all small firms? My school pays RAs at $15/hr, so I'm not sure I'd bite at 15 if the position won't offer additional experience or opportunities.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:05 pm

i dont get it, why didn't you work at the "prestigious" firm you got offered at instead?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you in law school? If so, what school? What are your grades? Do these prosecution positions come with the possibility of doing an SA next summer? Are they all small firms? My school pays RAs at $15/hr, so I'm not sure I'd bite at 15 if the position won't offer additional experience or opportunities.

Will be 1L this Fall, I'm not sure if SA for next year is possible cuz it hasn't been brought up but I will def. inquire about it. Firms are not small, they are all T10 caliber patent firms. I know the 15 is not something to bite, but I'd figure since its only temporary, I have nothing to lose. Mine as well put something on my resume before classes start! haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:56 pm

underdawg wrote:i dont get it, why didn't you work at the "prestigious" firm you got offered at instead?

My apologies, when I said "offer with some prestigious IP firms", I was referring to the summer temp offers.

Return to “Legal Employment”