Law & Order: Crime & Punishment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Birdman

Law & Order: Crime & Punishment

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:14 pm

I never knew this existed, but there was a reality spin off to Law & Order about the San Diego District Attorney's office. It goes through actual cases and shows how they were prosecuted. Considering my dream job is to work in the SD DA's office this was an incredible find. The episodes are on hulu for free. If anyone is interested in being a prosecutor I definitely recommend checking out the episodes.

Tautology

Re: Law & Order: Crime & Punishment

Postby Tautology » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 pm

I just watched the first episode, it was somewhat interesting. I'll probably check out the rest at some point. Thanks for the info.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:27 pm

Way to bootstrap a lounge-worthy subject matter to legal employment! (This is a sincere compliment)

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:58 am

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

00TREX00

Postby 00TREX00 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:38 pm

-
Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:20 am

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:12 am

Birdman wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Way to bootstrap a lounge-worthy subject matter to legal employment! (This is a sincere compliment)

I feel the need to quote this again. I am currently at the PD's office in San Diego and I am working in front of a lot of people that were on that show. (One of the DAs is now a judge at my courthouse, and one of the PD's is a supervisor of mine). So yeah, I'd say watching that show certainly has helped with legal employment. Douche.

I think you're missing something here. The guy seems to have been seriously complementing you...

Why do people get so offended/defensive on the internet?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Birdman wrote:So yeah, I'd say watching that show certainly has helped with legal employment. Douche.

I like to picture this guy going up to the judge and talking about Law & Order episodes, then coming home and calling other people douches on the internet.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:19 am

I'll totally look for this. I'm working at one IRL but still.....can't get enough.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:28 pm

About to watch the first episode. It was kind of hard to find....

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Unemployed wrote:Way to bootstrap a lounge-worthy subject matter to legal employment! (This is a sincere compliment)

:lol:

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Could the defense attorney be any douchier? How can a defense attorney that makes his living (I assume he's a private attorney but I could be wrong) talking in front of juries talk in such a douchey manner and have such a douchey haircut?

That part with the crazy "eyewitness" was pretty funny. You would think that that kind of stuff is made up but I see the weirdest crap everyday in court, haha.

Edit: just watched episode 2. It was awesome how the judge went of on that child murderer. I love it when judges actually get to speak their minds.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:34 am

You guys have to watch the end of season 3. I can't believe what I just saw. Tasing and baton beatdowns in a courtroom. Unbelievable.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:43 am

the one involving the gay bar is the best and its not even close

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:52 am

seatown12 wrote:the one involving the gay bar is the best and its not even close

Really....I can't wait :) . Do you know what episode number that is?

loomstate

Postby loomstate » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:56 am

Birdman wrote:I never knew this existed, but there was a reality spin off to Law & Order about the San Diego District Attorney's office. It goes through actual cases and shows how they were prosecuted. Considering my dream job is to work in the SD DA's office this was an incredible find. The episodes are on hulu for free. If anyone is interested in being a prosecutor I definitely recommend checking out the episodes.

I have seen a few episodes..it's pretty interesting. I really wish we were in the 70's or something. Being a prosecutor then just seems more appealing..

zanda

Postby zanda » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:28 am

Considering all the crap that makes it on tv, the fact that this show was watched so little and was only ever on in the summers is kinda sad. It wasn't brilliant or anything, but I'd much rather watch it than nearly all the fictional crime shows. Perhaps the lesson is that being a lawyer in real life, even the most interesting part that only a few get to do (the trials), isn't all that interesting.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:45 pm

zanda wrote:Considering all the crap that makes it on tv, the fact that this show was watched so little and was only ever on in the summers is kinda sad. It wasn't brilliant or anything, but I'd much rather watch it than nearly all the fictional crime shows. Perhaps the lesson is that being a lawyer in real life, even the most interesting part that only a few get to do (the trials), isn't all that interesting.

Well, I find it fascinating and riveting, so maybe it's the right job for me, haha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Mark Lanier watches all the L&O CSI etc. to make his cases seem just like the television shows for the jury because it is jury you are convincing...

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mark Lanier watches all the L&O CSI etc. to make his cases seem just like the television shows for the jury because it is jury you are convincing...

Mark Lanier is a bad ass. My buddy worked for him last summer and told me all sorts of awesome stories.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 pm

99% of the stuff on tv is garbage. Without ever seeing it, I can say without hesitation that this show is not part of the other 1%. That is all.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mark Lanier watches all the L&O CSI etc. to make his cases seem just like the television shows for the jury because it is jury you are convincing...

My freshman roommate watched CSI. Once or twice he'd watch the marathons of it, watching it for hours on end.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:21 pm

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 pm

I thought the defense attorney in the "rape of the navy girl" case did an excellent job of creating reasonable doubt. Obviously I would have to see the rest of the trial but initially I think I would have returned a not-guilty verdict based on what I saw on the show. Obviously D's extensive criminal history and his attitude after sentencing basically show us guilt in hind sight, I think the defense attorney's performance coupled with the chick's seemingly forcing out tears (at least it looked that way a little) and D's more detailed recounting of the night would have all led me to find reasonable doubt there.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Season 1, episode 7.

Great example of how witnesses can completely turn on you at trial. For whatever reason, feeling nervous or sympathy towards the defendant, etc. can apparently make witnesses start lying. The old lady being interviewed is funny b/c she is denying things to the prosecution and defense and it is completely flustering them!

Return to “Legal Employment”