Poll: do you hate or love your summer position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Hate it
14%
Love it
61%
I rather bitch about why is this anonymous
12%
I don't like these choices and can't make a decision
14%

Total votes: 66

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Lawl Shcool

Re: Poll: do you hate or love your summer position?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:12 pm

I really like it. I have a boutique SA position and so far have gotten to work on some really interesting stuff and found out I am eligible for a bonus at the end. Getting used to keeping track of my time for billing purposes has been a little awkward but with each passing day I have been increasing hours billed relative to hours at the office. Now that I think about it, today was the first day that I reached the 8 billed hours in a workday mark. I definitely have a whole new respect for what it would take to bill 2000+ hours in a year.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:15 pm

I don't like my judicial internship. It's too slow and straight up boring. But the other interns I had lunch with had very difference experiences. I think it really depends on the judge.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 pm

I straight up love my nonprofit internship. My supervising attorney is very friendly, informal, and just wonderful. I meet all her clients and help her with research and drafting letters. This is a community based organization, and it's the perfect size to gain actual hands on experience. I wish I could stay here much longer!

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm

I love my summer internship. I've been drafting motions and legal reviews -- plus I got to run a juvenile review board today and put the fear of god into some underage shoplifters. Good times!

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm glad I read the poll options carefully. I almost voted "love it," but why is this anonymous?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:35 pm

it is anonymous because (1) i HATE my summer position, so i think it would be obvious that I would not want my employer to somehow find that out, however unlikely the possibility, why risk it; and (2) because it is amusing to hear all the always people bitch about why a posting is anonymous. GET OVER IT!!!!!! spend your time worrying about something else!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:56 pm

pleasantly surprised at my firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:02 pm

I love it!
I'm working for a very small firm that handles mostly litigation (alot of commercial real estate and a bit of everything else).
My boss is an old timer who's been practicing over 50 years and seems determined to teach me everything he knows.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:pleasantly surprised at my firm.

Elaborate.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I love it!
I'm working for a very small firm that handles mostly litigation (alot of commercial real estate and a bit of everything else).
My boss is an old timer who's been practicing over 50 years and seems determined to teach me everything he knows.

This is similar to my situation and I also love it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:29 pm

I'm at a V10. The people are really nice. They've assured us we're all getting offers at the end unless we do something really stupid, and they have suggested they'll be doing some serious 3L hiring. I'm getting really interesting work and they're letting me participate in cool things.

Still though, I'm not going to say I love it because I'm really stressed out that I'm not smart enough to be there and I'm going to do a bad job. Not really in my nature to panic like this so hopefully I get over it soon.

Anyway ... love the firm, hate my reaction?

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:36 am

amyLAchemist wrote:It's only been 2 days, but I love my summer position. I'm a federal district court extern. My judge/clerks like to lay on the work, but it is fascinating and I love legal writing anyways.

+1

We get to hang out in court a lot too, which is pretty interesting

rando

Postby rando » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a V10. The people are really nice. They've assured us we're all getting offers at the end unless we do something really stupid, and they have suggested they'll be doing some serious 3L hiring. I'm getting really interesting work and they're letting me participate in cool things.

Still though, I'm not going to say I love it because I'm really stressed out that I'm not smart enough to be there and I'm going to do a bad job. Not really in my nature to panic like this so hopefully I get over it soon.

Anyway ... love the firm, hate my reaction?

Pretty much the same position here

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:it is anonymous because (1) i HATE my summer position, so i think it would be obvious that I would not want my employer to somehow find that out, however unlikely the possibility, why risk it; and (2) because it is amusing to hear all the always people bitch about why a posting is anonymous. GET OVER IT!!!!!! spend your time worrying about something else!

I would report you out of principle, but your first reason is valid. If you have a valid reason for being anonymous, don't make a big deal of it. You are just being antagonistic.

Oh, and for the record, my summer job is AMAZING.

Return to “Legal Employment”