How bad are things...really?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Thomas Jefferson

Re: How bad are things...really?

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:28 pm

D Brooks wrote:You think things are bad now?

Wait until the Korean peninsula explodes, Germany's unnecessary austerity measures send Europe back into recession, and Israel attacks Iran after the UN sanctions don't work.

Class of 2013 will be more fucked than anyone.

No, we'll be just as fucked as everyone when the world ends in 2012.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Wait until the Korean peninsula explodes, Germany's unnecessary austerity measures reduce European consumption and send Europe back into recession, and Israel attacks Iran after the UN sanctions don't work.

War is good for the economy. Maybe we can get all the younglings 0L's drafted. Leaving the jobs for the olds.

Dow 355.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:
miamiman wrote:DF, as much as I like you, we both know what you just said is misleading. The average nu student has a 1 in 2 shot at biglaw; bsee degree in hand, your odds are fire higher. Id venture to say - as I have before - that you're damn near big law SECURE so long as you don't fuck it all up on models and bottles.

For the average, nonengineer applicant the calculus becomes trickier.

lol wut? The IP job market isn't sunshine and roses, even with a BSEofsomekind + T14. Not sure where you're getting that idea from...

Everything I've read suggests that a EE + T14 is a golden ticket still.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Wait until the Korean peninsula explodes, Germany's unnecessary austerity measures send Europe back into recession, and Israel attacks Iran after the UN sanctions don't work.

The Korean peninsula isn't going to explode. Mutually assured destruction and all, you know. They both do a lot of grandstanding and yelling and feather ruffling but at the end of the day South Korea will bribe North Korea not to bomb them and that'll be the end of that.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:15 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:

The Korean peninsula isn't going to explode. Mutually assured destruction and all, you know. They both do a lot of grandstanding and yelling and feather ruffling but at the end of the day South Korea will bribe North Korea not to bomb them and that'll be the end of that.

That scenario might not happen, because the North knows they would have to face the full force of the American military. However, if a power struggle ensues when Kim Jung-il dies and the country collapses in chaos before their nukes are secured by us or China, I can tell you what will happen to the markets.

But that's neither here no there. Double-dip recession anyone?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:38 pm

D Brooks wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:

That scenario might not happen, because the North knows they would have to face the full force of the American military. However, if a power struggle ensues when Kim Jung-il dies and the country collapses in chaos before their nukes are secured by us or China, I can tell you what will happen to the markets.

But that's neither here no there. Double-dip recession anyone?

History repeats itself. Kim Jong Il evidently already has a successor to his "throne"-his youngest son, who's 29 right now. We all know what happened when Gorbachev took power. Gorbachev was the first leader of the Soviet Union born post-revolution and the USSR collapsed under his watch, rather peacefully. NK will collapse under KJI's son's watch (oldest was born in the 70's, post-Korean War).

I don't think the country will collapse into chaos that fast. If they do, China will do something about it-it's in their interest.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:48 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:49 pm

thesealocust wrote:
I know plenty of T14 EEs struggling / struck out recently. Sorry to be a debbie downer.

For 2L SA's? You go to UVA right?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:54 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
I know plenty of T14 EEs struggling / struck out recently. Sorry to be a debbie downer.

For 2L SA's? You go to UVA right?

Yes and yes.

I swear, the fact that some IP jobs look to UG credentials more than LS grades, and that some 1L SA positions exist for IP in greater abundance than other fields, and then BAM - internet telephone is 'EE IP SECURE NY TO 190'. In my experience, the IP folk have only the slightest edge on the rest of us poor unwashed masses when you look at the totality of the population. If you told my closest rising 2L EE friend that T10 + solid EE background was a 'golden ticket', he'd have to stop and think whether he'd laugh, cry, or hit you first. But all three would probably happen.

Do you know what type of firms he was targeting? Big law with patent lit, or the smaller firms with prosecution?

Because I hear that getting patent litigation is pretty much as competitive as regular big law.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Locke N. Lawded wrote:Here's the problem: the bulk of the information floating around here is not posted by grads, but by current students who have a problem with facing reality.

It's not just the economy, the legal profession has been changing for the last several years and it's only because the T-14 is finally having to deal with it that the media is finally picking up on the downward trend in the legal industry.

The numbers you quote are all wrong and outdated...go to NALP for the most recent numbers, and then ask yourself how accurate these numbers can be when all the law schools, the bar associations, and NALP itself have a vested interest in keeping the gravy train going.

Schools self report, so you can't trust stats. NALP bases its number on flawed stats it gets from schools.

Do a Google search for "law school scam blog" and you will find tons of folks telling it like it is. When kids from the top schools don't all have jobs, where do you think that leaves everyone else? Unemployed or working some other job to make ends meet (full disclosure...working in sales because the market I live in is saturated--and I was on law review).

do a google search of david hasselhof is the devil. see my point?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:01 pm

Cosmo Kramer wrote:do a google search of david hasselhof is the devil. see my point?

:? :? :?

Are you saying that he isn't?

Return to “Legal Employment”