Rumor has it...no Summer Associate program at Sidley Austin Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TTTGrad

New

Re: Rumor has it...no Summer Associate program at Sidley Austin

Post by TTTGrad » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:57 am

The OP should stop trying to warn OLs or incoming 1Ls of their inevitable fates. Regardless of the rumor's veracity, I can tell you with certainty that biglaw has decimated its summer classes and has reduced the offer rates substantially from 2007. Those class sizes and offer rates will not return to normalcy, not when firms are taking advantage of cheap labor and outsoucing legal work to India and the Philippines. I am sure most of these "wunderkids" that are entering law school believe their respective deans' lies about how in 2016 the economy will be booming and demand for attorneys will soar. These are used car salesmen's pitches that unsuspecting college grads are eating with a salivating smile. I say let these kids get into six figure debt and enrich the law schools. I say let them suffer from their mistakes. There is no point in trying to speak to a member of Generation Y since most have shit for brains anyway.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:01 pm

I think expectations just need to be lowered. If you are taking on the debt, you just can't count on biglaw to pay off the debt. I think ten years down the road most law students will earn at least middle income, but the days of banking on law school to score 6 figures right off the bat is over.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Dude i understand firms have gone to oci w/ intention to hire no one or maybe 1 person from that school. But do you have any stats on an office of a firm that does oci and hires no one nationwide? Or are some of you 3Ls just so pessimistic that you assume it's true b/c it's a possibility.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:09 pm

this whole damn thread needs to chill the fuck out until sometime around october-ish

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:59 pm

The rumor is just wrong. Sidley has summer associates in Chicago, DC, NY, LA, Dallas and SF. The NALP info posted here earlier is correct.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:22 pm

To be fair, I warned about this months ago.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... d#p2840254

ChattelCat

Bronze

Post by ChattelCat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:20 pm

TTT-LS wrote:I know people summering at Sidley Chicago this summer. End of thread. OP is an idiot.
True story. I know people summering at Sidley Chicago too. In addition they are one of the only summer programs I've heard of that is still 12 weeks long.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To be fair, I warned about this months ago.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... d#p2840254

Maybe you'd get credit for your posts if you didn't post anon for no reason.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:42 am

Why is this thread still alive? I met up with a Sidley SA for beers after work yesterday. The class is smaller than prior years, just like every SA class, but Sidley has the 2nd or 3rd largest SA program in Chicago this year. (Kirkland is the biggest at over 40 (minimal cuts from prior years,) I can't remember if Winston or Sidley have the second-largest program.)

Anyway, in conclusion, stfu.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”