OSCAR Clerkship Database Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OSCAR Clerkship Database Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 30, 2010 7:23 pm

For anyone who has experience using the database:

When do most on-plan judges start listing their positions on OSCAR? The vast majority of judges that use the database don't have any listings yet. Can I assume that the vast majority of them will list positions in the near future, or will many of them not list positions at all due to 2-year/career term clerks?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: OSCAR Clerkship Database Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 30, 2010 9:45 pm

Obviously not all judges hire clerks either they either are for a 2 year term as you mentioned or they could have career clerks. Last time I checked there was about 300 judges hiring. My Career services person said they he expects around 400-500 judges to be hiring. As time goes on they will add my posts and some judges even do their hiring after the plan dates.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Mon May 31, 2010 12:38 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 06072010 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:50 am

TTT-LS wrote:Lots of judges, particularly senior judges, do not use OSCAR at all. IIRC, they are either listed without an online app option, or they are grayed out in the listings entirely. For these judges one must send a paper app. As for when to do so, in most cases schools arrange a bundle such that everyone's app arrives on the first morning of the plan timeline.

Yes -- Also keep in mind that a lot of clerks get hired on the basis of a phone call from a prof, not an application.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon May 31, 2010 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Obviously not all judges hire clerks either they either are for a 2 year term as you mentioned or they could have career clerks. Last time I checked there was about 300 judges hiring. My Career services person said they he expects around 400-500 judges to be hiring. As time goes on they will add my posts and some judges even do their hiring after the plan dates.

Only 400-500 out of the 2200+ judges are going to be hiring? I hope it's larger than this...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 31, 2010 9:16 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Lots of judges, particularly senior judges, do not use OSCAR at all. IIRC, they are either listed without an online app option, or they are grayed out in the listings entirely. For these judges one must send a paper app. As for when to do so, in most cases schools arrange a bundle such that everyone's app arrives on the first morning of the plan timeline.

Yes -- Also keep in mind that a lot of clerks get hired on the basis of a phone call from a prof, not an application.

Thanks for both of these - but I was actually just inquiring about those judges who have used OSCAR in the past (the system specifies this) but don't yet have clerkship postings for the coming year. I think the first answer latched on to that, but I'm also hoping that there will be a few more than 500 hiring on plan on OSCAR.

Return to “Legal Employment”