Best non-Big Law jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SHANbangs

Best non-Big Law jobs?

Postby SHANbangs » Fri May 28, 2010 9:40 am

Hey guys,

what are some career paths to pursue if one is not considering or not 100% set on big law? For example, legal career paths that will pay decently, though by no means do they have to be in the triple figure range like big law. One of my undergrad profs mentioned international law as being fairly lucrative. Is this true?

Grizz

Re: Best non-Big Law jobs?

Postby Grizz » Fri May 28, 2010 9:47 am

SHANbangs wrote:One of my undergrad profs mentioned international law as being fairly lucrative. Is this true?

International law is basically a term devoid of meaning. Need more specifics.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri May 28, 2010 10:22 am

triple figure range --> less than 100$ a year?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 28, 2010 10:31 am

I agree with rad law that a generalized field of "international law" is almost without meaning.
With your stats & abilities, a six figure income should be expected even outside of "biglaw", it just may take two or three years to achieve depending upon your career path.
Assuming that you intend to use your law degree to practice law, then the federal government should be a good place to look. Consider becoming an AUSA = assistant US attorney (which may require two years work experience after finishing law school). The best advice, however, should come from your law school's career services/placement office.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 28, 2010 10:39 am

SCOTUS justice.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 28, 2010 10:39 am

rad law wrote:
SHANbangs wrote:One of my undergrad profs mentioned international law as being fairly lucrative. Is this true?

And don't forget devoid of jobs.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 28, 2010 11:19 am

CanadianWolf wrote:I agree with rad law that a generalized field of "international law" is almost without meaning.
With your stats & abilities, a six figure income should be expected even outside of "biglaw", it just may take two or three years to achieve depending upon your career path.
Assuming that you intend to use your law degree to practice law, then the federal government should be a good place to look. Consider becoming an AUSA = assistant US attorney (which may require two years work experience after finishing law school). The best advice, however, should come from your law school's career services/placement office.

AUSA is as competitive as biglaw. Great job though. One of my immediate family members works there.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 28, 2010 11:20 am

romothesavior wrote:
rad law wrote:

And don't forget devoid of jobs.

+1

Romo for the lulz.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 28, 2010 11:24 am

Smaller boutique firms and certain sectors of the government pay well, but these are generally laterals after a few years doing something similar to biglaw.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Fri May 28, 2010 11:37 am

Depends on what your prof means by international law jobs. Contrary to TLS's (most of whom have no W/E), international law can encompass human rights work with a non profit or private-public entity, work with an international agency such as the UN, EU, IAEA, etc, or as lucrative as a job working with multinational corps (possibly even the counsel's office of a major corp). The latter would be difficult without big law experience and great connections.

All of these have international focus (ie where knowing the law in other countries is critical to getting the job done).

notyou

Postby notyou » Fri May 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Patent prosecution has been trending towards small and medium sized firms for some time now. They pay ~10-25% less than BigLaw but don't work the insane hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 28, 2010 2:38 pm

boutique?

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri May 28, 2010 2:48 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri May 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:I have a friend that does legal work for an NGO and goes abroad from time to time, but he spends 95% of his time in NYC and only needs to know American law. Does this count as international law? He never considers it such, but he said others tend to exaggerate the internationality of it.

By the same token, one of the small firms I work for is arguing a case against the Spanish govt. about some salvage rights and in another case fighting the extradition of a criminal from Colombia to the US. Is this intl. law? It's not very glamorous, and intricate knowledge of their foreign laws is definitely not required.

bigben

Postby bigben » Sat May 29, 2010 10:10 am

Midlaw. Which may be harder to get than biglaw.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sat May 29, 2010 10:23 am

rad law wrote:AUSA is as competitive as biglaw.

Probably more competitive than biglaw.

Return to “Legal Employment”