Female Dress Code -- USAO

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anhimal

Female Dress Code -- USAO

Postby Anhimal » Thu May 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Hey all! Does anyone have any insight on what to wear for an USAO internship?

1. Suit or Pencil skirt w/ Button Down?

2. Briefcase or Purse?

3. Heels or Flats?

Thanks thanks!

prezidentv8

Re: Female Dress Code -- USAO

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Anhimal wrote:Hey all! Does anyone have any insight on what to wear for an USAO internship?

2. Briefcase or Purse?

3. Heels or Flats?

Thanks thanks!

On the first day, unless told otherwise, you should wear business formal - that is, suit (pantsuit or skirt-suit), heels (but not too tall/flashy) and a purse. Once you get there, look around at what all the female attorneys who actually work there are wearing. Copy them.

I would add you can probably count on USAOs being relatively formal since the attorneys appear in court all the time. If you want to drop by and watch, you will probably need to be in business formal.
Last edited by imchuckbass58 on Thu May 27, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Thu May 27, 2010 5:08 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Huh? Lol. :D

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Anhimal wrote:Hey all! Does anyone have any insight on what to wear for an USAO internship?

2. Briefcase or Purse?

3. Heels or Flats?

Thanks thanks!

I think a skirt and button down is ok. Suit wouldn't be out of place, but I think most USAO women don't wear a full suit with jacket unless going to court. Heels or flats are your call. Pencil skirt is fine as long as it is appropriate fitted. A too tight pencil skirt (especially an inexpensive one) can look like a "sexy secretary" Halloween costume, which is a look to be avoided.

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Thu May 27, 2010 5:09 pm

x
Last edited by Anhimal on Thu May 27, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Thu May 27, 2010 5:10 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:

2. Briefcase or Purse?

3. Heels or Flats?

Thanks thanks!

On the first day, unless told otherwise, you should wear business formal - that is, suit (pantsuit or skirt-suit), heels (but not too tall/flashy) and a purse. Once you get there, look around at what all the female attorneys who actually work there are wearing. Copy them.

I would add you can probably count on USAOs being relatively formal since the attorneys appear in court all the time. If you want to drop by and watch, you will probably need to be in business formal.

Yup, that's what I've been told but I need to figure out what to wear for the first day, so skirt-suit it is! May I ask you what type of purse is appropriate? Big small? Black leather? The ones I own are too fashion-ey to be appropriate.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Anhimal wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Huh? Lol. :D

Sorry, couldn't help it...from another thread. :mrgreen:

Those skirt suits look good on you ladies though, so from a dude's perspective, go with that.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 27, 2010 5:17 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Sorry, couldn't help it...from another thread. :mrgreen:

Those skirt suits look good on you ladies though, so from a dude's perspective, go with that.

I caught the reference, prez... Maybe a stretch for this particular thread, but it still made me laugh pretty hard.

And yes... skirts are TCR. In all situations.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Anhimal wrote:Yup, that's what I've been told but I need to figure out what to wear for the first day, so skirt-suit it is! May I ask you what type of purse is appropriate? Big small? Black leather? The ones I own are too fashion-ey to be appropriate.

So, take my advice with a grain of salt since I am a guy (though I have worked in several business settings with women).

That said, I would imagine a conservative black or brown leather purse with a simple gold or silver clasp is best. You want it to be as little of a "going out purse" or fashionable as possible (sad to say, I know). Avoid LV purses or other stuff with lots of logos. Avoid stuff with lots of tassels or lots of metal decoration. Think maybe this, but in black (--LinkRemoved--).

Most women I worked with had pretty big purses. Not the huge monstrosities that are basically overnight bags, but big enough to fit either a laptop or several legal pads.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 27, 2010 5:25 pm

Ah... purses are such a waste of money. I'm making my future wife use this as her purse:

It is just as functional as a purse, if not more so, because she can find everything she needs quicker. Purses always have like 15 compartments and zippers, but I have never seen a woman actual utilize them properly... Every woman's purse looks like a tiny tornado whipped through it.

Seriously though, I agree with the above poster's advice about going dull and professional the first day or two, and then mirroring what other attorneys do. Also, there is nothing wrong with asking your immediate supervisor what the dress code at the office is.

Anhimal

Postby Anhimal » Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:Ah... purses are such a waste of money. I'm making my future wife use this as her purse:

It is just as functional as a purse, if not more so, because she can find everything she needs quicker. Purses always have like 15 compartments and zippers, but I have never seen a woman actual utilize them properly... Every woman's purse looks like a tiny tornado whipped through it.

Seriously though, I agree with the above poster's advice about going dull and professional the first day or two, and then mirroring what other attorneys do. Also, there is nothing wrong with asking your immediate supervisor what the dress code at the office is.

Lol, I'm lovin' the paper bag. Not sure if your wife is going to go for it though...

Return to “Legal Employment”