H or S JD+MBA - worth it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

H or S JD+MBA - worth it?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Conventional wisdom seems to say that JD/MBA is a mistake - employers don't like it, and you need to have a strong game plan while going into it.

But does that apply to Harvard, Stanford or any other top combination? I can't see that hurting someone by the sheer quality of the schools. Just curious - doesn't apply to my personal situation anyway :cry:

imchuckbass58

Re: H or S JD+MBA - worth it?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Conventional wisdom seems to say that JD/MBA is a mistake - employers don't like it, and you need to have a strong game plan while going into it.

But does that apply to Harvard, Stanford or any other top combination? I can't see that hurting someone by the sheer quality of the schools. Just curious - doesn't apply to my personal situation anyway :cry:

I think the higher you go, the more sense it makes for more people.

That said, I think there are some people for whom it never makes sense (mostly because of what they want to do), no matter how prestigious the school is.

Postby 20121109 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Why does this question require anonymity?

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:46 pm

That is a lot of extra tuition money, for what reason do you want it?

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu May 27, 2010 4:52 pm

For JD H = S

For MBA H>>>S

"Worth it" is just up to you

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:59 pm

James Bond wrote:For MBA H>>>S

A lot of people in the business world would strongly disagree with you on this one.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu May 27, 2010 5:16 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
James Bond wrote:For MBA H>>>S

A lot of people in the business world would strongly disagree with you on this one.

Maybe in California...

I'm not saying Stanford's trash or anything haha. I think USNews ranks them in a tie for #1. It's still a damn good school.

Perhaps it's just my East Coast bias, but plenty of businessmen I know would take Harvard, Columbia, and Wharton over Stanford any day.

crazyeddie

Postby crazyeddie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Conventional wisdom seems to say that JD/MBA is a mistake - employers don't like it, and you need to have a strong game plan while going into it.

Who's conventional wisdom, TLS? JD/MBA can be very useful depending on your career goals. My MBA taught me accounting, finance & equity valuation skills that will be a huge benefit to me down the line (based on my career goals). An MBA also adds credibility in a lot of situations.

Some firms are afraid of flight risk. Others aren't though, and will pay large signing bonuses for getting a JD/MBA.
--LinkRemoved--

Keep in mind that most people on this forum have never worked a real job a day in their life, and just regurgitate stuff they have heard that supports their view of how the world should be.

Return to “Legal Employment”