Tips for 1L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Re: Tips for 1L summer?

Postby thesealocust » Mon May 31, 2010 2:40 pm

tl;dr
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrynight62

Postby starrynight62 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Interesting. Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

Thane Messinger

Postby Thane Messinger » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:59 am

thesealocust wrote:First, even if you knock first semester out of the park, you might not wind up with sweet paid work. The market for 1L summer work is very odd and very disjointed.

I sent out my first volley of resumes on December 2nd 2009, and continued job hunting for 1L summer until early April 2010. It worked out and I found work that I love, but it was not easy or regimented or predictable in the slightest.

Quite right. And as to a 1L clerkship, there are really two very different worlds: (1) top students at top schools; and (2) everyone else. If you're not in the first category, the challenge is, as mentioned, to find your own work. This is something soon-to-be-1Ls should be doing right now, by the way. This is one of the best uses of your time, to line up potential work. Whether it's part-time or paid or internship or you name it, it's far better to have the bulk of this work done before starting law school.

Thane.

--
Thane Messinger
Author of:
Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold
The Young Lawyer's Jungle Book: A Survival Guide

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:34 am

This is something soon-to-be-1Ls should be doing right now, by the way. This is one of the best uses of your time, to line up potential work. Whether it's part-time or paid or internship or you name it, it's far better to have the bulk of this work done before starting law school.

You mean like, update resume, cover letter, etc?

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 am

So do you guys think taking a non-paying, non-legal, UN internship in immigration is not a good idea during 1L fall or spring? I want to do immigration law...

rando

Postby rando » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:48 pm

sibley wrote:So do you guys think taking a non-paying, non-legal, UN internship in immigration is not a good idea during 1L fall or spring? I want to do immigration law...

Doing anyhing that will take away from your 1L grades is a terrible idea.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:52 pm

rando wrote:
sibley wrote:So do you guys think taking a non-paying, non-legal, UN internship in immigration is not a good idea during 1L fall or spring? I want to do immigration law...

I do better when I'm busy

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Thane Messinger wrote:
starrynight62 wrote:I was wondering if anyone would like to share some insight in looking for positions for 1L summer. If you landed something you consider "good" for a 1L, how did you go about doing it? If you didn't, is there anything you wish you had done differently?

I know paid firm jobs for 1Ls are unlikely, but of the other options, what are considered the most prestigious or otherwise helpful? What (legal related) are considered the "worst?"

Paid jobs are not out of the question,Author of:

Getting a paid job is possible.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:15 pm

If you are looking for firms, I think it is best to do something that most students are not doing. This may seem obvious, but it isn't. Unless you want to do public interest when you get out of school, I would put that on the backburner for your 1L summer or at most part time in addition to your internship/job (like I am).

Many of the organizations mentioned in this thread are good options. However, I'm sure a lot of jobs are harder to get now that there are fewer to go around (and as a result, connections are really necessary). Spring 1L OCI does help with with jobs, but generally the cut off is around top 25% for non-public interest (and even they are fairly selective).

Most law students are not 100% sure of what occupation they want post-graduation (or even in what area - it seems as though they generally take whatever area leads to a job). However it would be best if you had a path of what you wanted going into law school. For example, you could realize that you want to work for a federal agency, but you would consider big law if it were offered to you (honestly, no one should go into law school thinking they primarily want big law outside of the T12+V). Regardless, having a path or two in your mind will make it easier in trying to determine what to apply to after Dec. 1st your first year or before Sept./Oct. your second year.

rando

Postby rando » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:32 pm

sibley wrote:
rando wrote:

You will be plenty busy your first year. No one does better when they are overwhelmed. And being mediocre at many things is not better than excellent grades. Do what you will.

Thane Messinger

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:42 pm

mmmadeli wrote:
This is something soon-to-be-1Ls should be doing right now, by the way. This is one of the best uses of your time, to line up potential work. Whether it's part-time or paid or internship or you name it, it's far better to have the bulk of this work done before starting law school.

You mean like, update resume, cover letter, etc?

More than this. If you know where you'd like to practice, you can begin the process of researching firms and organizations that might be in need. Depending upon your schedule, you might even try for a position (or volunteer) for this summer. These might seem silly or just too much, too soon, but being in these offices will have a big impact. Not only will you see and talk with senior attorneys, but you'll get a much better picture of what the conversations in law school classes are all about. Most likely, you'll get a sense of what not to do in law school--such as in my book--and in this way you'll save much time and much disappointment. So much of doing well, both financially and academically, is in smart preparation. (Note: Not "a lot of preparation," but the right preparation, done before you need it.)

I hope this helps,

Thane.

--
Thane Messinger
Author of:

Thane Messinger

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:43 pm

It's a good idea in the summer before or after your first year, but not in first year. Grades are everything for just about any field or career. Focus on that (but not on simply make-work), and you'll put yourself in very good shape for the immigration law position you want.

Thane.

--
Thane Messinger
Author of:

Thane Messinger

Postby Thane Messinger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:47 pm

sibley wrote:
rando wrote:

Many of us do, but the first year of law school is different in kind as well as degree.

Also, the single biggest mistake law students make is in being too busy. That's right. For most, it becomes a sort of macho gantlet. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Some of (if not most of) the highest grades do not go to those who are simply busy. It's crucial to manage your time, and to be just the right amount of busy.

Still, working in any office during the first year is both disallowed and, generally, a bad idea. There are exceptions, of course, but those exceptions tend to prove the rule: focus on smart studying, and that will pay off ten times more.

Thane.

--
Thane Messinger
Author of:

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Thane Messinger wrote:
thesealocust wrote:First, even if you knock first semester out of the park, you might not wind up with sweet paid work. The market for 1L summer work is very odd and very disjointed.

I sent out my first volley of resumes on December 2nd 2009, and continued job hunting for 1L summer until early April 2010. It worked out and I found work that I love, but it was not easy or regimented or predictable in the slightest.

Quite right. And as to a 1L clerkship, there are really two very different worlds: (1) top students at top schools; and (2) everyone else. If you're not in the first category, the challenge is, as mentioned, to find your own work. This is something soon-to-be-1Ls should be doing right now, by the way. This is one of the best uses of your time, to line up potential work. Whether it's part-time or paid or internship or you name it, it's far better to have the bulk of this work done before starting law school.
Thane.

--
Thane Messinger
Author of:

As always I agree with Thane here. Would also add that spending a bit of your free time this summer or this fall networking with the legal community where you plan to 1L summer can pay off with big dividends. The key I think is to be proactive, and create opportunities rather than being reactive (things like updating ones resume are re-active, they do nothing really to take the matters into your own hands, just make it a bit prettier for someone else to decide your fate for you).

Miniver

Postby Miniver » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:12 pm

Last edited by Miniver on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:33 pm

I currently work as a runner at a large firm here in Utah, what specifically should I be doing from now until I leave for school to up the chances of 1L summer work? Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but I'd like to take the most advantage of what little resources I have.

Thane Messinger

Postby Thane Messinger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:36 am

joemoviebuff wrote:I currently work as a runner at a large firm here in Utah, what specifically should I be doing from now until I leave for school to up the chances of 1L summer work? Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but I'd like to take the most advantage of what little resources I have.

Your work at a firm (in any capacity) gets you many advantages. In addition to the points above, talk with those attorneys who respect what you're doing and are willing to chat. Chances are they will be a good source of information and contacts, if not at your current firm then likely at others, with their law school buddies.

By the way, taking a clerkship (or an associate position) in a firm in which you previously worked in a different, non-professional capacity can be difficult. Morten Lund addresses this in one of his books (as do I). In short, you'll need to tread carefully both with "old" friends and "new" colleagues.

Thane.

Return to “Legal Employment”