Tips for 1L summer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
starrynight62

New

Tips for 1L summer?

Post by starrynight62 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:51 pm

I was wondering if anyone would like to share some insight in looking for positions for 1L summer. If you landed something you consider "good" for a 1L, how did you go about doing it? If you didn't, is there anything you wish you had done differently?

I know paid firm jobs for 1Ls are unlikely, but of the other options, what are considered the most prestigious or otherwise helpful? What (legal related) are considered the "worst?"

Thane Messinger

Bronze

Re: Tips for 1L summer?

Post by Thane Messinger » Fri May 28, 2010 5:16 pm

starrynight62 wrote:I was wondering if anyone would like to share some insight in looking for positions for 1L summer. If you landed something you consider "good" for a 1L, how did you go about doing it? If you didn't, is there anything you wish you had done differently?

I know paid firm jobs for 1Ls are unlikely, but of the other options, what are considered the most prestigious or otherwise helpful? What (legal related) are considered the "worst?"

Paid jobs are not out of the question, but are most likely to be found by a fair amount of research with individual firms, agencies, and so on with administrative needs. Chances are you'll find a smaller firm that can use some smart research or administrative assistance. What they're looking for are smarts and attention to detail, and what you'll get out of it (in addition to a bit of money) is advice, possible recommendations and references, and a peek into the real world of law practice. Highly recommended. How to "research"? Often, this is by asking any- and everyone you know in a professional setting who might know a lawyer, and then contacting that person. If they say "No," ask whether they know of someone who might need help. Beyond that there are the many references (physical and online). Don't limit yourself to the larger firms; while there might be absolutely more opportunity, it's likely that they would be less willing to consider a temporary or part-time position. Smaller firms tend to be more flexible, and more ad hoc.

Beyond that, contact an agency or non-profit that interests you. It might be unpaid, but you'll still benefit from an inside look and from serious advantages for both applications and first-year. Most are happy to have another interested soul.

I hope this helps,

Thane.

--
Thane Messinger
Author of:
Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold
The Young Lawyer's Jungle Book: A Survival Guide

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun May 30, 2010 9:49 am

Was helpful, thanks.

Are there any sorts of positions, regardless of if they're paid or not, that will help land a good 2L summer position?
I already have work experience in and out of law firms and with institutional consultation lawyers. I don't want to do some clerical thing that I've already been doing because I don't see it helping my chances.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 9:54 am

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun May 30, 2010 10:12 am

Basically it doesn't matter what you do 1L summer, as long as it's something law related. Grades are much more important. If you're hoping to go to a secondary market where you have no ties, taking anything you can find in that market for 1L summer would probably help a lot in getting hired at a firm there, but other than that, you shouldn't worry too much about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sun May 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I found a cool internship with the UN that I want to apply for. It's defined as a "non-legal" position but it's in immigration. Too far from the field?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun May 30, 2010 1:49 pm

sibley wrote:I found a cool internship with the UN that I want to apply for. It's defined as a "non-legal" position but it's in immigration. Too far from the field?
You definitely want something that is defined as a "legal" position.

Thane Messinger

Bronze

Post by Thane Messinger » Sun May 30, 2010 3:44 pm

sibley wrote:Was helpful, thanks.

Are there any sorts of positions, regardless of if they're paid or not, that will help land a good 2L summer position?
I already have work experience in and out of law firms and with institutional consultation lawyers. I don't want to do some clerical thing that I've already been doing because I don't see it helping my chances.

Having any law office experience will be helpful with 2L interviews (OCI or otherwise). This is not just because you will have "official experience" (which is true), but also because you will have a much better basis for a good conversation with your interviewers. What's amazing in interviews is that your interviewers really don't want to interrogate; they just want to know that you'll do the job and will be reasonably pleasant to be around. (If I didn't mention it, for a good look at the mind of a law recruiter, read Insider's Guide to Getting a Big Firm Job . . . applies as well to smaller firms too.)

Again, your thinking is exactly right. Get the law office experience as early as possible, which will be very helpful to you in ways large and small.

Thane.

--
Thane Messinger
Author of:
Law School: Getting In, Getting Good, Getting the Gold
The Young Lawyer's Jungle Book: A Survival Guide

LoyolaLaw2012

Bronze

Post by LoyolaLaw2012 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:59 pm

I recommend looking for jobs a little far from the school. The jobs close to the schools tend to be more competitive. I landed an internship doing legal research for the law department of a corporation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 7:19 pm

tl;dr
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun May 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Only a 0L here, but my advice:

--ImageRemoved--

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 7:28 pm

tl;dr
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 30, 2010 8:00 pm

As a soon to be 3L, here is my advice fwiw.

I'd realistically assess what you want to post-graduation. If you want to do Biglaw, are you at a competitive school? Are your grades good? Do you have some great connections somewhere? If you don't meet one (or realistically ITE all 3), I wouldn't worry too much about how the 1L summer will set you up for Biglaw, instead focus on finding something you'd like to do that could lead to work your 2L summer and to post-graduation employment.

My 1L summer I just happened to work for the public defender. I actually really enjoyed the work and will be working there again this summer. The added bonus is that I could realistically work there after graduation provided I still enjoy doing it and I don't suck at it. On that same theme, if you are interested in a particular area of the law, try to work in that field. If it is environmental law stuff, try to work part time for a professor who specializes in that area and maybe at a nonprofit that does the same (professors most likely won't have 40 hours of work for you to do and it seems like most nonprofits won't want to have you there 40 hours a week and you could also split if you want). Then 2L fall you will be able to go to similar types of organizations with a proven interest in that area which will distinguish you from other applicants.

Quite a few of my classmates (T20, above median GPA, sparkling personalities) struck out at OCI this year and it difficult for many of them to find stuff to do this summer. Everywhere is flooded with applications and what seemed to set some people apart was whether they worked at the place 1L summer or had some interest in the specific practice area.

Forgot to add, definitely work in whatever geographic area you want to be long term unless you go to Harvard or somewhere similar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a soon to be 3L, here is my advice fwiw.

I'd realistically assess what you want to post-graduation. If you want to do Biglaw, are you at a competitive school? Are your grades good? Do you have some great connections somewhere? If you don't meet one (or realistically ITE all 3), I wouldn't worry too much about how the 1L summer will set you up for Biglaw, instead focus on finding something you'd like to do that could lead to work your 2L summer and to post-graduation employment.

My 1L summer I just happened to work for the public defender. I actually really enjoyed the work and will be working there again this summer. The added bonus is that I could realistically work there after graduation provided I still enjoy doing it and I don't suck at it. On that same theme, if you are interested in a particular area of the law, try to work in that field. If it is environmental law stuff, try to work part time for a professor who specializes in that area and maybe at a nonprofit that does the same (professors most likely won't have 40 hours of work for you to do and it seems like most nonprofits won't want to have you there 40 hours a week and you could also split if you want). Then 2L fall you will be able to go to similar types of organizations with a proven interest in that area which will distinguish you from other applicants.

Quite a few of my classmates (T20, above median GPA, sparkling personalities) struck out at OCI this year and it difficult for many of them to find stuff to do this summer. Everywhere is flooded with applications and what seemed to set some people apart was whether they worked at the place 1L summer or had some interest in the specific practice area.

Forgot to add, definitely work in whatever geographic area you want to be long term unless you go to Harvard or somewhere similar.
Definitely work in the geographic location that you want to be in. However, despite what is said above, I don't think it is all that important to work in the field that you will likely end up. No one expects you to know exactly what you want to do after one year of law school. At the firm I work for now, almost every summer had something far afield from a law firm - IRS, judges, DA's, public defenders. All over the board really, but all substantive work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 30, 2010 10:00 pm

rando wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a soon to be 3L, here is my advice fwiw.

Definitely work in the geographic location that you want to be in. However, despite what is said above, I don't think it is all that important to work in the field that you will likely end up. No one expects you to know exactly what you want to do after one year of law school. At the firm I work for now, almost every summer had something far afield from a law firm - IRS, judges, DA's, public defenders. All over the board really, but all substantive work.
Sorry, I should have been a little more specific. I agree that it isn't really all that important to work in the field you will ultimately end up. People switch areas all the time. I just think that if you do pick a specific field it can make it easier to find a job for 2L summer or post-graduation. I don't have any hard evidence of this, just anecdotal observations.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun May 30, 2010 10:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:Only a 0L here, but my advice:

--ImageRemoved--
STFU hipster

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun May 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon May 31, 2010 12:11 am

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:26 am

Could someone outline how people get 1L summer judicial internships? Is it just mailing/emailing/leveraging connections?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 31, 2010 12:28 am

tl;dr
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:37 am

And to which judges do most T10 students apply? COA, District, state, traffic?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 31, 2010 12:39 am

tl;dr
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrynight62

New

Post by starrynight62 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:21 pm

thesealocust wrote: On December 1st, you send a truckload of resumes and cross your fingers. Targeting to judges who've taken interns from your school will probably help. Some people will get hired before grades come out, some after. It's pretty arbitrary, but infamously not super competitive. Connections rarely come into it, not many people have judges on speed dial.

I'm not sure how this works at most schools, but my (T2) school has fall OCI for 2Ls, and then spring OCI for 1L internships. Is that normal? From what I have been reading here, getting your resumes out early (Dec 1-ish) seems to be a pretty big deal. I guess I am a little confused about how the process works.

I'm not gunning for a biglaw job, but I would like to end up doing something interesting...state attorney's office, etc.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon May 31, 2010 2:26 pm

tl;dr
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starrynight62

New

Post by starrynight62 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:36 pm

If you send out resumes on Dec 1, what do you do if you end up with great first semester grades? Can you send a follow-up letter ("BTW, please take into consideration the fact that I rocked my finals. Thx, Starrynight.")?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”