Working during 1L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working during 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 25, 2010 4:43 pm

I will be attending a top NYC law school in the fall (read: CLS or NYU).

I wasn't planning on working at all during 1L, but my employer wants me to stay and work at least a few hours a week, for which they would pay me my normal rate (around $45 an hour) and as a bonus they will pitch in to pay some tuition (how much depends on how many hours a week I work).

Although I may work for them 1L summer (for the $$), there is no commitment to come back to work for them after graduation.

The tuition payment, salary and 1L summer employment would certainly alleviate the debt.

If I can make my own work schedule, how much is a reasonable amount of hours to work during 1L? 10 hours?

For 10 hours/week, I can reasonably expect them to pay around 15% of the tuition ($7,500 per year).

Anonymous User

Re: Working during 1L

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I will be attending a top NYC law school in the fall (read: CLS or NYU).

I wasn't planning on working at all during 1L, but my employer wants me to stay and work at least a few hours a week, for which they would pay me my normal rate (around $45 an hour) and as a bonus they will pitch in to pay some tuition (how much depends on how many hours a week I work).

Although I may work for them 1L summer (for the $$), there is no commitment to come back to work for them after graduation.

The tuition payment, salary and 1L summer employment would certainly alleviate the debt.

If I can make my own work schedule, how much is a reasonable amount of hours to work during 1L? 10 hours?

For 10 hours/week, I can reasonably expect them to pay around 15% of the tuition ($7,500 per year).

Although 15% of tuition is tempting, I recommend not working during 1L, especially first semester. My brother just graduated from law school, and worked during 1L and said that his grades suffered because of it and told me to soley focus 100% of my time on getting good grades. Good grades will open you many doors, especially in CLS or NYU and you will be able to pay the extra 15% of tuition in a heartbeat.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Tue May 25, 2010 5:14 pm

hm, I did not mean to be anonymous by the way haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I will be attending a top NYC law school in the fall (read: CLS or NYU).

Although 15% of tuition is tempting, I recommend not working during 1L, especially first semester. My brother just graduated from law school, and worked during 1L and said that his grades suffered because of it and told me to soley focus 100% of my time on getting good grades. Good grades will open you many doors, especially in CLS or NYU and you will be able to pay the extra 15% of tuition in a heartbeat.

How much did he work during 1L? I assumed 10 hours would be okay because it's as much as some people spend on extracurriculars, like playing sports or going to the gym.

And I could probably schedule it as 3 hours a day Mondays and Wednesdays, 4 on Fridays.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 25, 2010 5:19 pm

I just finished 1L. I think 10 hours/week is not unrealistic, although you may have to take time off during exams.

Just understand that those are 10 hours/week when you are not doing whatever you need to do to keep your sanity, and/or doing volunteer work or other extracurricular activities that can boost your resume.

Postby 06072010 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Yeah, I agree. So long as you understand that the 10 hours comes out of your "you" time, it should be okay. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Tue May 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How much did he work during 1L? I assumed 10 hours would be okay because it's as much as some people spend on extracurriculars, like playing sports or going to the gym.

And I could probably schedule it as 3 hours a day Mondays and Wednesdays, 4 on Fridays.

I believe he worked around 20 hrs a week, but I am not sure. I just sent him a text message and I will get back to you.

You should have time to workout though, and have small amount of time for something you like to do, to keep you sane.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Tue May 25, 2010 5:56 pm

My brother just texted me back.

He said around 10-20 hrs/week.

Postby 06072010 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:09 pm

I think 20 is pushing it first year. ABA caps at 20 per week, FYI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 25, 2010 6:25 pm

I think I'm going to say I can work about 10 hours a week on average and not at all during reading week/finals, but that I'd like to do some of the work remotely. They shouldn't have a problem if I can prove my remote hours are billable.

Thanks, everyone! :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I think I really benefited from working my second semester of 1L. I worked 10-20 hours a week and took a month off for exam prep and exams. It was nice to be able to spend some time doing concrete legal work and it was great to offset the cost of 1L.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 25, 2010 6:40 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu May 27, 2010 8:03 am

PKSebben wrote:I think 20 is pushing it first year. ABA caps at 20 per week, FYI.

ABA caps at 0 1L year. no work allowed.

not to say people don't find ways...

RW65

Postby RW65 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:01 am

Standard 304. COURSE OF STUDY AND ACADEMIC CALENDAR

(f) A student may not be employed more than 20 hours per week in any week in which the
student is enrolled in more than twelve class hours.

http://www.abanet.org/legaled/standards/2009-2010%20StandardsWebContent/Chapter3.pdf

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu May 27, 2010 11:21 am

must have been a school rule then, but they pointed to the ABA as justification

mountaineerlaw

Postby mountaineerlaw » Thu May 27, 2010 11:28 am

I have a similar offer in a smaller market...it's very tempting.

Return to “Legal Employment”