Best Secondary Markets?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Locke N. Lawded

Re: Best Secondary Markets?

Postby Locke N. Lawded » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 am

James Bond wrote:You'd consider Philthadelphia and Chicago but not NYC? Are you mad?

Seriously? You're encouraging someone to try to break into the most saturated legal market in the country? Where doc review goes for $15-20 if you can get it?

Stick to the secondary markets...and stay far away from Chicago, as it's overflowing with unemployed lawyers right now as it is, from classes 2008, 09, and 10.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 am

wiseowl wrote:
Locke N. Lawded wrote:
enygma wrote:I'm not totally up on the current situation, but minneapolis has a relatively decent market. last i checked (and this could have changed with the economy) the market rate was about $120k starting at the big firms in town. although cost of living is quite a bit lower than chicago, this is still pretty low relatively speaking. However, if you were comparing it to market rate in NYC it's probably a pretty fair rate, relatively (and considering dorsey pays market in NYC maybe that's more relevant to their consideration than chicago).

the other reason that makes minneapolis stronger than most is that it's the seat of the 8th circuit, so there are all of those federal opportunities that come along with that.

also, minneapolis is a very excellent city.

There are four law schools in the Twin Cities...University of Minnesota, St. Thomas, William Mitchell, and Hamline. The latter three schools are TTT and the U is top 25. Right now, the market in the Twin Cities is saturated, and according to the students I deal with from that area, it's hard for outsiders to break in right now.

If you're serious about this area, try to get into the U or don't bother...not a ton of jobs there right now, plus the weather sucks so bad most of the year that they created over 7 miles of interconnected walkways--the skyway--so they don't have to go outside to get around the city.

hey now, William Mitchell is T2.

Meh, TT or TTT, job opps are the same anyway

rando

Postby rando » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:48 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:LA/SF are NOT good markets to break into. CoL is absurd, taxes are more absurd, and it's in a failed state.

I move to dismiss this post for lack of mention of California having a perfect climate and (SoCal, at least) beautiful women.

Motion denied. People overrate the weather in SoCal. And I Iike my women to be more than 80% natural and have a 3 digit IQ.

Uhhh. Fail on so many levels.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:31 am

Locke N. Lawded wrote:You're encouraging someone to try to break into the most saturated legal market in the country?

I've never understood this - if NYC were the most saturated legal market in the country, wouldn't it be one of the HARDEST places to get BigLaw? Cuz it's not.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:47 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:07 pm

And I Iike my women to be more than 80% natural and have a 3 digit IQ.

Somebody's picky.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:01 pm

Out of curiosity, what are the biggest Texas-based law firms?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:15 pm

jms1987 wrote:Out of curiosity, what are the biggest Texas-based law firms?

Vinson for one. People mentioned Fulbright and Baker Botts.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
jms1987 wrote:Out of curiosity, what are the biggest Texas-based law firms?

Vinson for one. People mentioned Fulbright and Baker Botts.

Baker Botts is the last word in Texas BigLaw.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Do those firms usually hire from University of Texas or HYSCC? I know Texas is highly insular, but idk how far home advantage carries when your talking about the biggest/most prestegious firm(s).

Nihilist

Postby Nihilist » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:31 pm

New Mexico is a great market if you get into laundering money for meth dealers...

Just putting it out there.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 pm

eaters333 wrote:No one has said denver?

Stay out of my market BITCHS!

:P

enygma

Postby enygma » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Locke N. Lawded wrote:
enygma wrote:I'm not totally up on the current situation, but minneapolis has a relatively decent market. last i checked (and this could have changed with the economy) the market rate was about $120k starting at the big firms in town. although cost of living is quite a bit lower than chicago, this is still pretty low relatively speaking. However, if you were comparing it to market rate in NYC it's probably a pretty fair rate, relatively (and considering dorsey pays market in NYC maybe that's more relevant to their consideration than chicago).

the other reason that makes minneapolis stronger than most is that it's the seat of the 8th circuit, so there are all of those federal opportunities that come along with that.

also, minneapolis is a very excellent city.

There are four law schools in the Twin Cities...University of Minnesota, St. Thomas, William Mitchell, and Hamline. The latter three schools are TTT and the U is top 25. Right now, the market in the Twin Cities is saturated, and according to the students I deal with from that area, it's hard for outsiders to break in right now.

If you're serious about this area, try to get into the U or don't bother...not a ton of jobs there right now, plus the weather sucks so bad most of the year that they created over 7 miles of interconnected walkways--the skyway--so they don't have to go outside to get around the city.

T14 will get you there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:51 am

Nihilist wrote:New Mexico is a great market if you get into laundering money for meth dealers...

Just putting it out there.

I really need to see Breaking Bad.

On a serious note, New Mexico actually is a really interesting place to work. And while the compensation is lower, so is the cost of living. And most firms expect a lower number of billable hours than in other markets.

Just make sure you have a connection here, or you probably won't be getting a job.

Return to “Legal Employment”