Best Secondary Markets? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Solerpower

New

Re: Best Secondary Markets?

Post by Solerpower » Sat May 29, 2010 9:57 pm

RisingMichigan3L wrote:PPP
Where are you getting the PPP info from. It seems pretty arbitrary to simply claim Texas partners receive less profit. There is no defined reason why a Texas firm would make less profit if they're doing the same type of law.

Considering the size of the Texas GDP, combined with a business friendly taxation, one would assume PPP would be higher in Texas.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Going to law school in the area is usually sufficient.

People seem to be overstating the importance of ties - they're going to matter more in the smaller secondary or tertiary markets, and less in the bigger secondary markets. Like, they're probably not 100% necessary in places like Dallas, Houston, Philly, etc. but in smaller, highly desirable markets like Seattle, Portland, Austin, Denver, etc. it's going to be a lot more difficult without real ties.

Solerpower

New

Post by Solerpower » Sat May 29, 2010 10:14 pm

RVP11 wrote:Going to law school in the area is usually sufficient.

People seem to be overstating the importance of ties - they're going to matter more in the smaller secondary or tertiary markets, and less in the bigger secondary markets. Like, they're probably not 100% necessary in places like Dallas, Houston, Philly, etc. but in smaller, highly desirable markets like Seattle, Portland, Austin, Denver, etc. it's going to be a lot more difficult without real ties.
Everything i've read, TITCR

RisingMichigan3L

New

Post by RisingMichigan3L » Sat May 29, 2010 10:18 pm

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2448485135

There is no TX firm on that list.

2008 PPP:
Fulbright & Jaworski: $833,000
Vinson & Elkins: $1,311,000$ (my bad on this one; I thought all of the big three hovered around $800k)
Baker Botts: $1,365,000

Given that 2008 represented an increase in PPP for these three firms compared to 2007, which was the best year for many firms (http://www.law.com/jsp/tx/PubArticleTX. ... 2430174520), it seems weird that they can't even come close to matching the PPP of NYC/other major market firms of 2009, which was considered the worst year for firms:

1) Wachtell: $4,300,000
2) Quinn: $3,130,000
3) S&C: $2,965,000
4) Boies: $2,880,000
5) Cravath: $2,715,000
6) Paul Weiss: $2,690,000
7) Kirkland & Ellis: $2,495,000
8) Simpson Thacher: $2,415,000
9) Cadwalader: $2,410,000
10) Cleary: $2,385,000

RisingMichigan3L

New

Post by RisingMichigan3L » Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 pm

Found 2009 PPP for BigTX firms, so a better comparison can be made:
V&E: $1,270,000
Fulbright: $813,000
Baker: $1,360,000
http://texaslawyer.typepad.com/texas_la ... ewell.html
http://texaslawyer.typepad.com/texas_la ... -2009.html

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Solerpower

New

Post by Solerpower » Sat May 29, 2010 10:42 pm

RisingMichigan3L wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2448485135

There is no TX firm on that list.

2008 PPP:
Fulbright & Jaworski: $833,000
Vinson & Elkins: $1,311,000$ (my bad on this one; I thought all of the big three hovered around $800k)
Baker Botts: $1,365,000

Given that 2008 represented an increase in PPP for these three firms compared to 2007, which was the best year for many firms (http://www.law.com/jsp/tx/PubArticleTX. ... 2430174520), it seems weird that they can't even come close to matching the PPP of NYC/other major market firms of 2009, which was considered the worst year for firms:

1) Wachtell: $4,300,000
2) Quinn: $3,130,000
3) S&C: $2,965,000
4) Boies: $2,880,000
5) Cravath: $2,715,000
6) Paul Weiss: $2,690,000
7) Kirkland & Ellis: $2,495,000
8) Simpson Thacher: $2,415,000
9) Cadwalader: $2,410,000
10) Cleary: $2,385,000
Are these figures how much the average partner makes at the firm or how much the firm makes in profit divided by the number of partners, meaning that the partners make less than the numbers indicated.

RisingMichigan3L

New

Post by RisingMichigan3L » Sat May 29, 2010 10:45 pm

how much the firm makes in profit divided by the number of partners, meaning that the partners make less than the numbers indicated.
Latter. Whether it indicates how much a partner actually makes is a tough call, as different firms compensate partners differently. Some do straight up lock-step even through the partnership ranks (Davis Polk), other firms give a larger slice of the pie to partners who have more shares, etc. Generally, though, unless you're a star rainmaker (or just starting out as partner), I doubt the number would deviate too far from PPP.

Solerpower

New

Post by Solerpower » Sat May 29, 2010 10:51 pm

RisingMichigan3L wrote:
how much the firm makes in profit divided by the number of partners, meaning that the partners make less than the numbers indicated.
Latter. Whether it indicates how much a partner actually makes is a tough call, as different firms compensate partners differently. Some do straight up lock-step even through the partnership ranks (Davis Polk), other firms give a larger slice of the pie to partners who have more shares, etc. Generally, though, unless you're a star rainmaker (or just starting out as partner), I doubt the number would deviate too far from PPP.
Are these figures pre-associate salary/operating costs or after. Basically, i'm trying to figure out if these figures are relatively close to the actual partner salary or if its simply profit divided by number.

RisingMichigan3L

New

Post by RisingMichigan3L » Sat May 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Look up the difference between profits and revenue.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Solerpower

New

Post by Solerpower » Sat May 29, 2010 11:00 pm

RisingMichigan3L wrote:Look up the difference between profits and revenue.
Technically partner salary would come out before profit is able to be calculated and therefore, if you want to get smart with me, PPP has no true connection with partner salary.

However, that is not the case and I was asking if PPP was before or after specific costs.

And people wonder why there are so many lawyer jokes.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 pm

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Sounds right.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun May 30, 2010 6:17 pm

rando wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:^ That. Going to law school in a particular city for a year is not going to be a sufficient tie to the market that employers will take you seriously ITE, particularly if it is a secondary market city (and I say a year because that's all you will be there prior to 2L OCI). If you have some other ties to all those markets (e.g. you have family living there and have at least visited them a few times), then that's great, but I wouldn't just pick a city and plan on being able to work at a firm there merely because you went to school there for a year. A lot of firms are taking very small class sizes nowadays and the last thing they want is one of there two summer associates deciding they don't like the market and want to go elsewhere, so they will much rather hire someone that has lived in that market prior to starting law school.
This really isn't all that accurate. Most firms take for granted that your choice in a law school in a particular geographic location is evidence enough of ties. Firms are much more skeptical of someone not going to law school in the area and with no other relevant ties.

I had zero questions whatsoever at OCI re; my commitment to the area and I have no ties beyond law school to the area.
What market are you in?

RVP11 wrote:Going to law school in the area is usually sufficient.

This is probably right. The market my school is in is a smaller secondary market and I got asked quite a few questions by the few firms I interviewed with out here, really digging into the fact that I don't have ties out here. E.g. one firm asked me "why X state," and I told the interviewers that I went to undergrad out here, have quite a few friends out here, and really like it. So the interviewers followed up with "well ... do you have any family out here?" and when I said "no" they asked "why don't you want to go back to Chicago?" Although, I suppose the firms might have been more (and admittedly, rightfully) skeptical because I lived in a major market for basically all my life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
rando wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:^ That. Going to law school in a particular city for a year is not going to be a sufficient tie to the market that employers will take you seriously ITE, particularly if it is a secondary market city (and I say a year because that's all you will be there prior to 2L OCI). If you have some other ties to all those markets (e.g. you have family living there and have at least visited them a few times), then that's great, but I wouldn't just pick a city and plan on being able to work at a firm there merely because you went to school there for a year. A lot of firms are taking very small class sizes nowadays and the last thing they want is one of there two summer associates deciding they don't like the market and want to go elsewhere, so they will much rather hire someone that has lived in that market prior to starting law school.
This really isn't all that accurate. Most firms take for granted that your choice in a law school in a particular geographic location is evidence enough of ties. Firms are much more skeptical of someone not going to law school in the area and with no other relevant ties.

I had zero questions whatsoever at OCI re; my commitment to the area and I have no ties beyond law school to the area.
What market are you in?
ATL

eaters333

New

Post by eaters333 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:18 pm

No one has said denver?

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sun May 30, 2010 8:27 pm

eaters333 wrote:No one has said denver?
I actually strongly considered Denver in my application process. Huge quality of Life bonus. Great city. I think market rate is ~125-130 and cost of living is fairly low. But certainly higher than TX or ATL. Its also a lot smaller than the above mentioned markets.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Mon May 31, 2010 3:32 pm

RisingMichigan3L wrote:...you mean United.
lol yeah. But until the UA/CO merger gets DOJ approval, Continental.

Can't believe I'm saying this but if I don't get NY or Chi, I'm going to TX. Might as well save on CoL if I don't get the locations I want.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:27 am

Are we defining "secondary" ITT as anything but NYC and DC? If so, Chicago, LA, SF and Houston would be the "best" in terms of options.

Of the cities listed in the OP, I'd say Seattle and Portland take the cake. Not only are they livable cities in a cool area, but you're somewhat insulated from competition in the job market (you're basically up against U of O, L&C and UW students and that's it -- go to UW and the world is yours up there).

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:05 am

Low pay+highish CoL=fail.

LA/SF are NOT good markets to break into. CoL is absurd, taxes are more absurd, and it's in a failed state.

lilybbloom

Bronze

Post by lilybbloom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:15 am

I've actually heard that for Philly, geographical ties matter quite a bit.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:30 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:LA/SF are NOT good markets to break into. CoL is absurd, taxes are more absurd, and it's in a failed state.
I move to dismiss this post for lack of mention of California having a perfect climate and (SoCal, at least) beautiful women.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:15 pm

RVP11 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:LA/SF are NOT good markets to break into. CoL is absurd, taxes are more absurd, and it's in a failed state.
I move to dismiss this post for lack of mention of California having a perfect climate and (SoCal, at least) beautiful women.
how you people live without halter top day is beyond me

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:55 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Motion denied. People overrate the weather in SoCal. And I Iike my women to be more than 80% natural and have a 3 digit IQ.

Locke N. Lawded

New

Post by Locke N. Lawded » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 am

enygma wrote:I'm not totally up on the current situation, but minneapolis has a relatively decent market. last i checked (and this could have changed with the economy) the market rate was about $120k starting at the big firms in town. although cost of living is quite a bit lower than chicago, this is still pretty low relatively speaking. However, if you were comparing it to market rate in NYC it's probably a pretty fair rate, relatively (and considering dorsey pays market in NYC maybe that's more relevant to their consideration than chicago).

the other reason that makes minneapolis stronger than most is that it's the seat of the 8th circuit, so there are all of those federal opportunities that come along with that.

also, minneapolis is a very excellent city.
There are four law schools in the Twin Cities...University of Minnesota, St. Thomas, William Mitchell, and Hamline. The latter three schools are TTT and the U is top 25. Right now, the market in the Twin Cities is saturated, and according to the students I deal with from that area, it's hard for outsiders to break in right now.

If you're serious about this area, try to get into the U or don't bother...not a ton of jobs there right now, plus the weather sucks so bad most of the year that they created over 7 miles of interconnected walkways--the skyway--so they don't have to go outside to get around the city.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:46 am

Locke N. Lawded wrote:
enygma wrote:I'm not totally up on the current situation, but minneapolis has a relatively decent market. last i checked (and this could have changed with the economy) the market rate was about $120k starting at the big firms in town. although cost of living is quite a bit lower than chicago, this is still pretty low relatively speaking. However, if you were comparing it to market rate in NYC it's probably a pretty fair rate, relatively (and considering dorsey pays market in NYC maybe that's more relevant to their consideration than chicago).

the other reason that makes minneapolis stronger than most is that it's the seat of the 8th circuit, so there are all of those federal opportunities that come along with that.

also, minneapolis is a very excellent city.
There are four law schools in the Twin Cities...University of Minnesota, St. Thomas, William Mitchell, and Hamline. The latter three schools are TTT and the U is top 25. Right now, the market in the Twin Cities is saturated, and according to the students I deal with from that area, it's hard for outsiders to break in right now.

If you're serious about this area, try to get into the U or don't bother...not a ton of jobs there right now, plus the weather sucks so bad most of the year that they created over 7 miles of interconnected walkways--the skyway--so they don't have to go outside to get around the city.
hey now, William Mitchell is T2.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”