Anyone else nervous to start working??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Matthies

Re: Anyone else nervous to start working??

Postby Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:Just finished first week. A huge case fell into my lap on day 3. Basically I'm the only one working on it. The supervising attorney has no time to deal with it. The pro bono client is in prison for life, and it looks very likely that he is innocent. I'll be writing a motion for post-conviction relief where I have to persuade the court to go against 50 years of caselaw based on a recent trial level decision in another jurisdiction. Despite that high hurdle, it's really fun. I had no idea I'd get to do such "real" work. I submitted my initial memo outlining the direction I wanted to take and authority I wanted to use and the attorney said "Looks good. Write it up and we'll file it." The hearing is in July, so I'll get to see my motion argued. I'm pretty pumped. Sure beats studying the UCC in a windowless room for hours at a time.

Nice! that sounds like a cool assigment, and if you screw up, well he can't get anything worse than he is now :P

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't get the job that I really wanted :x . I'm not looking forward to starting this job-I really don't want to be there :cry:

I'm just an 0L, but I have significant work experience. I would try to find some positivity about your summer employment (you are lucky land a job). If you don't, your "I don't really want to be here" attitude will manifest itself in various ways throughout the summer, however subtle.

You definitely don't want to burn bridges by displaying a lack of enthusiasm.

Good luck!

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 2:06 am

<-- is a 2L, and is panicing anyway. I didn't really do a lot of substantive work last summer, and I took mostly bar classes this year. My Lexis/Westlaw skills are certainly not very impressive.

<-- Doomed to gt no-offered and eat ramen for rest of life until /killself

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sat May 22, 2010 3:44 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:<-- is a 2L, and is panicing anyway. I didn't really do a lot of substantive work last summer, and I took mostly bar classes this year. My Lexis/Westlaw skills are certainly not very impressive.

I have heard from recruiters that you have to screw up pretty badly in order to not get an offer. I used to work in a big law firm on the admin side, and the only person I know of who didn't get an offer was the guy who got shitfaced at the summer associate outing. You won't have to worry about this, anyway, since most firms have canceled these types of events in light of their budget crises. :D

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat May 22, 2010 5:16 am

My first day was 12 hours long and I was still jetlagged. It's all worth it though because I LOVE my job and I get to do really awesome stuff all summer. But anybody who thinks that public interest always has shorter hours and an easier job is quite mistaken.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat May 22, 2010 10:56 am

IzziesGal wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:<-- is a 2L, and is panicing anyway. I didn't really do a lot of substantive work last summer, and I took mostly bar classes this year. My Lexis/Westlaw skills are certainly not very impressive.

I have heard from recruiters that you have to screw up pretty badly in order to not get an offer. I used to work in a big law firm on the admin side, and the only person I know of who didn't get an offer was the guy who got shitfaced at the summer associate outing. You won't have to worry about this, anyway, since most firms have canceled these types of events in light of their budget crises. :D

:?: :?: :?:

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 11:13 am

Our summers started this Monday and the firm sponsored the first social gathering with them last night. Always funny to watch the different personalities.

A word about being nice to the support staff-it really does pay off. The very few summers who stopped by to say hi to us paralegals instead of standing in a corner trying to suck up all got the insiders scoop, and I'm helping two out on Monday with some small research things they were nervous about.

Besides, associates and partners are used to summers being all doe-eyed towards them. The attys who are decent human beings (and most are) notice when a summer is considerate and friendly to everyone.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 11:16 am

Pearalegal wrote:Our summers started this Monday and the firm sponsored the first social gathering with them last night. Always funny to watch the different personalities.

A word about being nice to the support staff-it really does pay off. The very few summers who stopped by to say hi to us paralegals instead of standing in a corner trying to suck up all got the insiders scoop, and I'm helping two out on Monday with some small research things they were nervous about.

Besides, associates and partners are used to summers being all doe-eyed towards them. The attys who are decent human beings (and most are) notice when a summer is considerate and friendly to everyone.

They were probably just trying to get in your pants.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure whether secretaries/paralegals were even invited to our intro reception:/ Everyone I saw there was either a summer, an associate, or a partner--no of counsels, no paralegals.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 11:19 am

underdawg wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

This isn't true. At least not in the big firms.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 11:20 am

Pearalegal wrote:
underdawg wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

The number of events is certainly down from prior years, though--that's straight from the mouths of my V30's summer committee--and we're going to be evaluated much more stringently on the work we produce.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 11:25 am

Well sure...but that's not cancelled. Yall still get to have a good amount of fun by the looks of your social calender.

Ugh, summers and their social events.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 11:28 am

Pearalegal wrote:Well sure...but that's not cancelled. Yall still get to have a good amount of fun by the looks of your social calender.

Honestly though, I dread the social events. If I'm going to get no-offered, it's going to be because of my lack of schmoozing ability/crooked teeth, not my work product.

Edit: You can ask Dresden for proof of my lack of social graces, btw. It's almost impressive.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 11:31 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Well sure...but that's not cancelled. Yall still get to have a good amount of fun by the looks of your social calender.

Honestly though, I dread the social events. If I'm going to get no-offered, it's going to be because of my lack of schmoozing ability/crooked teeth, not my work product.

Haha, well if it makes you feel any better, I've met a lot off effing awkward summers at the firm things. Most everyone was awkward. Even the one I made cry by accident and a partner saw.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 11:33 am

Pearalegal wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Haha, well if it makes you feel any better, I've met a lot off effing awkward summers at the firm things. Most everyone was awkward. Even the one I made cry by accident and a partner saw.

You're an evil person. Also, lulz. Ok, so I'm not that awkward.

How the hell do you accidentally make someone cry at a freaking social event?

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Sat May 22, 2010 11:35 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

You're an evil person. Also, lulz. Ok, so I'm not that awkward.

How the hell do you accidentally make someone cry at a freaking social event?

exactly what i was thinking...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 22, 2010 11:36 am

Matthies wrote:
James Bond wrote:
Matthies wrote:Also, and this serious business, BE NICE TO THE STAFF. Be nicer to the paralegals and secretaries then the associates, they are the ones who wield real power in the office. Do not come off as like a douchbag law student to your help, they can and will kill you, gossip about you, make your files disappear. But if they love you, they will let their bosses know, go out of thier way to make you look good, and generally save your ass.
This applies to ANYWHERE you work too and people you associate with. Always befriend the doorman and ask him what's up. The lady at starbucks that gives you coffee every morning? Chat her up. It almost always pays off, IMO.
True, law stduents just tend to come off more douchy then they should, its likley the first time they have felt like they are "higher ranked" than somome or had somome "work for" them, they can come off as douches to the staff, and they will talk about you if you do (or maybe even send your antics into ATL for the=ir annual summer SA screw ups list)

Anon to avoid outing myself, but I can corroborate this from an admin perspective. I work in billing, and while it might seem insignificant to be a complete asshole to somebody in the invoicing department, keep in mind that many of those people have worked side-by-side with senior partners for years and hold more sway than you want to believe. Being nice to the staff is the right thing to do as a human, and it's also an effective way to cover your ass.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 11:37 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Edit: Also, I'm not sure whether secretaries/paralegals were even invited to our intro reception:/ Everyone I saw there was either a summer, an associate, or a partner--no of counsels, no paralegals.

who said I wasn't trying to get into theirs? Anyways, this wasn't a specifically summer event- they've been having their into hhs and receptions all week. Friday's event was firm wide.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 11:40 am

Pearalegal wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:

who said I wasn't trying to get into theirs? Anyways, this wasn't a specifically summer event- they've been having their into hhs and receptions all week. Friday's event was firm wide.

For shame. Leave the youngins alone.

Also, is that how you made one of them cry? :lol:

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 11:48 am

yawn. whoops.
Last edited by Pearalegal on Sat May 22, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 11:51 am

Not nearly as entertaining as expected, but good job anyway :lol:

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 11:53 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Not nearly as entertaining as expected, but good job anyway :lol:

yeah, really wasn't my fault. Sorry about the typos. On iPhone.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat May 22, 2010 1:56 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

Edit: You can ask Dresden for proof of my lack of social graces, btw. It's almost impressive.

Man, you got to work on that, belive me, even with all the networking I do, I'm faking it most of the time, and scared shitless doing it. But at the social events they are still judge you, and they talk about it as well, its not really a social event as much as it is like a two way mirror to see how you get along with other people, it is judged as much as work product, they are watching you. Just suck it up, talk to stanrgers (find a webpage on the interet to give tip) and just think of it as part of the interview process becuase it is. Its sucks, but you gotta play the game if you want the offer, espcially in this economy.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sat May 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
underdawg wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

It is certainly true in some of the top firms. I used to work at a top 15 firm as admin, and the first thing we did was completely slash the summer associate outing when the recession hit. After that, we scaled down all of the cocktail parties, receptions, and dinners to more "cozy" places (i.e. less expensive and flashy) and set a cap for the number of times partners could take associates out. We were not the only firm doing this in the top 15 - we were just following suit with the rest.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sat May 22, 2010 2:13 pm

I am a bit nervous as well. I feel that there is more pressure when 1) a firm is paying you (as opposed to last summer as a 1L unpaid intern for a judge) and 2) you are a rising 3L so expectations are (rightly) higher.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 2:17 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
It is certainly true in some of the top firms. I used to work at a top 15 firm as admin, and the first thing we did was completely slash the summer associate outing when the recession hit. After that, we scaled down all of the cocktail parties, receptions, and dinners to more "cozy" places (i.e. less expensive and flashy) and set a cap for the number of times partners could take associates out. We were not the only firm doing this in the top 15 - we were just following suit with the rest.

*shrug* ok. Still not cancelling those programs. I was referring to the fact he said they had been cancelled, not scaled back. dsds

There are still plenty of opportunities for the employees at my firm (and the ones we work with closely) to get drunk and be idiots on the firm's dime. I could be living in a bubble though.

Return to “Legal Employment”