Anyone else nervous to start working?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IzziesGal

Silver

Anyone else nervous to start working??

Post by IzziesGal » Fri May 21, 2010 7:16 pm

I start in two weeks, and I am definitely nervous. First legal job, and I don't want to mess it up. Not to mention that LRW seems like ages ago - I hope I still remember how to write a memo. :D

Anyone else have pre-work jitters??

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Anyone else nervous to start working??

Post by thesealocust » Fri May 21, 2010 7:39 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri May 21, 2010 7:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:I just finished my first week. It's rough, no doubt about that. You realize three things quickly: 1) you know nothing 2) that being said, you surprise yourself by how much you do know and 3) a year of law school DOES prepare you to look up almost anything you don't know.

Still, the 'lowest of the low, OMG I don't know any of your names, I'm just pretending, aahhh' feeling is strong and slow to fade. Everybody started there though... just keep the right attitude ("I am here to learn, not to know everything already") and it'll be fine.
Great feedback. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who realizes she knows nothing at this point. :D

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri May 21, 2010 7:42 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 7:43 pm

I am completely freaked to the point that I sometimes wish they would rescind on me, b/c I don't want to look like a complete idiot. I can take exams, but I suck at "hands on" learning and sometimes very simple things take awhile to sink in b/c of my learning disabilities. One of the associates that interviewed me made me feel smaller than an ant and said that sometimes interns just don't get it, and about half completely suck. He acted like it is not o.k. to ask questions too. Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri May 21, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm especially freaked, since I'm working in a fairly prestigious public service office this summer and the only person from my school who'll be there, and I know it will reflect poorly on my school if I screw up.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 pm

I was lead to believe (by my LARW professor actually) that not many of us will be writing formal memos like they taught in LARW, at least not on a regular basis. Clients are starting to balk at having to pay for that level of formality on inter office stuff. If true, I have a feeling most employers will get you to write one or two you can maybe use as a writing sample and otherwise just get you to make up research summaries. But it is not like memos are all that different from what you have been writing for exams, it should be like riding a bike. So either way I wouldn't worry too much. Well, about that particular aspect anyway.

Anyway, I start work on Monday. I need to get my suit dry cleaned tomorrow. Exciting!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri May 21, 2010 7:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I'm especially freaked, since I'm working in a fairly prestigious public service office this summer and the only person from my school who'll be there, and I know it will reflect poorly on my school if I screw up.
Honestly, this is what is freaking me out most about my jobs this summer. I don't want to be someone's anecdote for why Duke (and the T14 in general) is overrated.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri May 21, 2010 7:59 pm

nm
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri May 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Sooooo glad I am not the only one. I <3 TLS

To anyone who started their 1L summer gig already - give us tips!!!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 8:04 pm

IzziesGal wrote:I start in two weeks, and I am definitely nervous. First legal job, and I don't want to mess it up. Not to mention that LRW seems like ages ago - I hope I still remember how to write a memo. :D

Anyone else have pre-work jitters??
This is a great little, short book on legal memo writing http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Legal-Mem ... 1599410028

Highly recoend it, and you don't need to read it cover to cover, although that would only take a few hours, and its small enought to keep in your desk.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri May 21, 2010 8:07 pm

nm

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Also, and this serious business, BE NICE TO THE STAFF. Be nicer to the paralegals and secretaries then the associates, they are the ones who wield real power in the office. Do not come off as like a douchbag law student to your help, they can and will kill you, gossip about you, make your files disappear. But if they love you, they will let their bosses know, go out of thier way to make you look good, and generally save your ass.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri May 21, 2010 8:11 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Bosque wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I'm especially freaked, since I'm working in a fairly prestigious public service office this summer and the only person from my school who'll be there, and I know it will reflect poorly on my school if I screw up.
Honestly, this is what is freaking me out most about my jobs this summer. I don't want to be someone's anecdote for why Duke (and the T14 in general) is overrated.
As long as you try, you can't botch it that bad as a rising 2L summer. If you do something wrong, just own it "I'm learning the ropes, please help me figure out how to do it correctly the next time" and you'll probably look way better than the guy who did get it right the first time :P
Oh, the rational part of my brain knows this. It still doesn't keep the irrational part from freaking the hell out.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri May 21, 2010 8:12 pm

nm

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Oh and for the love of god if you don't have something to do go and ASK FOR A PROJECT. Don't sit around and wait for someone to hand you something (probably the biggest fail I have seen for SAs). But temper this too, don't take on too much that you can't get the project done. Its a fine line, but if you know how to look like you're asking for work but also know how to not actually have to do the work, then your golden. You'll figure out what i mean after a few weeks. there are people who always look 'busy" but aren't really.

Also check with the support staff about lexis/westlaw if they don't cover that in your orenation, you don't want to be that guy who ran up a 3k lexis bill on a $200 issue.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri May 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Matthies wrote:Also, and this serious business, BE NICE TO THE STAFF. Be nicer to the paralegals and secretaries then the associates, they are the ones who wield real power in the office. Do not come off as like a douchbag law student to your help, they can and will kill you, gossip about you, make your files disappear. But if they love you, they will let their bosses know, go out of thier way to make you look good, and generally save your ass.
This applies to ANYWHERE you work too and people you associate with. Always befriend the doorman and ask him what's up. The lady at starbucks that gives you coffee every morning? Chat her up. It almost always pays off, IMO.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 8:17 pm

James Bond wrote:
Matthies wrote:Also, and this serious business, BE NICE TO THE STAFF. Be nicer to the paralegals and secretaries then the associates, they are the ones who wield real power in the office. Do not come off as like a douchbag law student to your help, they can and will kill you, gossip about you, make your files disappear. But if they love you, they will let their bosses know, go out of thier way to make you look good, and generally save your ass.
This applies to ANYWHERE you work too and people you associate with. Always befriend the doorman and ask him what's up. The lady at starbucks that gives you coffee every morning? Chat her up. It almost always pays off, IMO.
True, law stduents just tend to come off more douchy then they should, its likley the first time they have felt like they are "higher ranked" than somome or had somome "work for" them, they can come off as douches to the staff, and they will talk about you if you do (or maybe even send your antics into ATL for the=ir annual summer SA screw ups list)

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Matthies wrote:Oh and for the love of god if you don't have something to do go and ASK FOR A PROJECT. Don't sit around and wait for someone to hand you something (probably the biggest fail I have seen for SAs). But temper this too, don't take on too much that you can't get the project done. Its a fine line, but if you know how to look like you're asking for work but also know how to not actually have to do the work, then your golden. You'll figure out what i mean after a few weeks. there are people who always look 'busy" but aren't really.

Also check with the support staff about lexis/westlaw if they don't cover that in your orenation, you don't want to be that guy who ran up a 3k lexis bill on a $200 issue.
Eeek. I have actually always been afraid of this. Having cart blanche to use these databases all year round has really screwed up my ability to target my research. I always go a little bit deeper, just to make sure. I don't want to go too far in the real world or not far enough, a la this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFOY0Glg0gU

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 8:25 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Matthies wrote:Oh and for the love of god if you don't have something to do go and ASK FOR A PROJECT. Don't sit around and wait for someone to hand you something (probably the biggest fail I have seen for SAs). But temper this too, don't take on too much that you can't get the project done. Its a fine line, but if you know how to look like you're asking for work but also know how to not actually have to do the work, then your golden. You'll figure out what i mean after a few weeks. there are people who always look 'busy" but aren't really.

Eeek. I have actually always been afraid of this. Having cart blanche to use these databases all year round has really screwed up my ability to target my research. I always go a little bit deeper, just to make sure. I don't want to go too far in the real world or not far enough, a la this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFOY0Glg0gU
LOL that;s great

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 pm

I am extremely friendly w/ everyone I meet. This was the biggest disappointment for me wrt my classmates. So many are truly douches and would actually have to try not to treat "the help" like crap. Ugh. It really sickens me that being nice doesn't come naturally to many, especially in this field, or so has been my experience anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Fri May 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Just finished first week. A huge case fell into my lap on day 3. Basically I'm the only one working on it. The supervising attorney has no time to deal with it. The pro bono client is in prison for life, and it looks very likely that he is innocent. I'll be writing a motion for post-conviction relief where I have to persuade the court to go against 50 years of caselaw based on a recent trial level decision in another jurisdiction. Despite that high hurdle, it's really fun. I had no idea I'd get to do such "real" work. I submitted my initial memo outlining the direction I wanted to take and authority I wanted to use and the attorney said "Looks good. Write it up and we'll file it." The hearing is in July, so I'll get to see my motion argued. I'm pretty pumped. Sure beats studying the UCC in a windowless room for hours at a time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2010 9:08 pm

I didn't get the job that I really wanted :x . I'm not looking forward to starting this job-I really don't want to be there :cry:

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri May 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't get the job that I really wanted :x . I'm not looking forward to starting this job-I really don't want to be there :cry:
Awww! On the bright side, at least you have legal work this summer. I am sure there are people who are not working in anything law related this summer, so be thankful that you're not a part of that crowd. :D Hope you still get something good out of it!!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:Just finished first week. A huge case fell into my lap on day 3. Basically I'm the only one working on it. The supervising attorney has no time to deal with it. The pro bono client is in prison for life, and it looks very likely that he is innocent. I'll be writing a motion for post-conviction relief where I have to persuade the court to go against 50 years of caselaw based on a recent trial level decision in another jurisdiction. Despite that high hurdle, it's really fun. I had no idea I'd get to do such "real" work. I submitted my initial memo outlining the direction I wanted to take and authority I wanted to use and the attorney said "Looks good. Write it up and we'll file it." The hearing is in July, so I'll get to see my motion argued. I'm pretty pumped. Sure beats studying the UCC in a windowless room for hours at a time.
You absolute bastard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”