Santa Clara Law Job Prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Santa Clara Law Job Prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2010 6:00 pm

I will be attending Santa Clara Law this fall, and I am wondering if anyone has any information about current job prospects. I don't really trust the information I have received from the school, for obvious reasons. I am most interested in hearing from current students or alumni, although any input would be greatly appreciated. I am also interested in career prospects for non-IP lawyers as I think the high median starting salary is skewed toward those with hard science qualifications.

Any thoughts?

Also, I am posting this anonymously (my screen name is Phoenix323) so that current students or alumni can post without outing themselves. I think using this feature is the only way to do this.

Thanks!

phoenix323

Re: Santa Clara Law Job Prospects

Postby phoenix323 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Anyone?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:29 pm

I don't think the OP has to post anonymously for responders to use the anon feature.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Truthfully, what's the difference? You've made the call. Job prospects could be - id venture to say very well may be - heartstoppingly awful. They might be awesome; well, that's an overstatement. Job prospects may not be bad. But its not like you're deciding between peer alternatives or open to the possibility of reapplying.

Do as well as you can. Then go from there.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:39 pm

miamiman wrote:Job prospects could be - id venture to say very well may be - heartstoppingly awful. They might be awesome; well, that's an overstatement. Job prospects may not be bad.

Thanks. The above is precisely why I made this post. I'd like to know how long it's taking to find employment, pay, just general feedback from people who are going through/have gone through it.

I intend to do my very best, but I was just wondering how Santa Clara students/grads are faring right now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Here's some anecdotal evidence for you. I just finished my 1L year at Santa Clara and pretty much everyone 1L I know got some kind of internship for the summer. However, most, if not all, are unpaid. I only know of one 2L who got a biglaw position and that person was either number 1 or number 2 in their class. I also know a couple of 3Ls who have nothing lined up after graduation, some who have big law jobs (these folks were top of their class) and a few others that are doing DA/PD work.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon May 24, 2010 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's some anecdotal evidence for you. I just finished my 1L year at Santa Clara and pretty much everyone 1L I know got some kind of internship for the summer. However, most, if not all, are unpaid. I only know of one 2L who got a biglaw position and that person was either number 1 or number 2 in their class. I also know a couple of 3Ls who have nothing lined up after graduation, some who have big law jobs (these folks were top of their class) and a few others that are doing DA/PD work.

That's pretty encouraging...I got the sense that a large number of my classmates at Hastings are unemployed this summer. I think Santa Clara is better than its USNWR rank....my guess is the top half would probably get private sector if they want it, most likely small firms and most likely in the 60-75k range. That's assuming the economy stays roughly the same.

Return to “Legal Employment”