Temp to hire legal assistant

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Temp to hire legal assistant

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 am

So I have been working as a temp to hire administrative/legal assistant since christmas. I was hired to cover the front for the paralegal that was out on maternity leave, but she came back like a month after I started. I was planning on going to law school, but my cycle didn't pan out to well and only got into 3rd/4th tier schools with no money. I don't have any paralegal experience, but have a BA and MA in poli sci. When they hired me, they kinda said that this job isn't challegning esp for someone with and advanced degree etc... but they hired me anyways. Basically for the last 6 mos I haven't done awhole lot execpt answer phones, some filing and copying, typed up some notice of depositions, requests for admissions, production of documents that sort of thing. Attorney A had said he was holding off training me because he didn't want to train someone who was gonna leave. I understand that I do. But for the last month or so I was letting them know, not going to law school, at least not right now, and I am going to be staying in the area. Tuesday both attorneys had talked to me about if I wanted to stay here, if this was the type of work I'd like to continue doing, granted its not what I envisioned myself doing at 27 but its a job and it gives me some paralegal experience, so I said yea. Attorney B talked to me about it, how much I was getting from the temp agency, if they bumped it up some would I be ok with that. He had to talk to Attorney A though. I felt good about the posibility to be hired on as a full employee. After lunch I talked with Attorney A. He asked me if B had talked to me and what we discussed. I didn't feel all that great after that conversation. He said again how he was holding back training someone if they were going to end up leaving. I was left with the impression that he doesn't really think I am going to stay. And the reasoning - because I have a Masters degree. That's what my gut is telling me, this job isn't challenging enough for someone that has a MA. Ah seriously I can't do anything with a MA in poli sci though.

Around 4pm Tuesday, Attorney B went into A's office and closed the doors. I assumed they were going to discuss me, but I don't know if that is true or not. It could have been completely unrelated. The meeting didn't last long either, like 10 mins or so. And neither of them have said anything else to me aboout the possibility of being hired on. I'm kinda freaking out because I have no idea where I stand, if come Monday morning I'd still have a job.I don't know if I should ask one of them or not. And I can't shake my gut feeling either. I figured I'd get on TLS to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation or has any advice on how to approach this situation.

d34d9823

Re: Temp to hire legal assistant

Postby d34d9823 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:07 pm

This is one of those things that you can't mess with. You have no clue what they said, and if you ask you come off all insecure. It may not even have been about you. If they are going to let you go, nothing you can say will change their mind. If they aren't, you could cause them to reconsider keeping you.

If you do get let go, don't take it too hard. Almost everyone gets laid off at some point in their life (I have been), and you shouldn't take it personally.

Bert

Postby Bert » Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 pm

I like dluk's answer, but I also wonder how A and B are acting towards you since their meeting? I think that the way that they interact with you will give you an idea of whether they discussed you and if so, the nature of the conversation.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 12:32 pm

If you want to stay on, and you want this job, and you want to learn more, and you want to be part of the company TELL THEM THAT. Don't a be a wallflower and let other people make assumtiptions about you. Go in and say "look I really like working here, I like this team, I'd like the chance to work with you and learn for you guys in the future." Be proactive if you want to keep this job.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:39 pm

Matthies wrote:If you want to stay on, and you want this job, and you want to learn more, and you want to be part of the company TELL THEM THAT. Don't a be a wallflower and let other people make assumtiptions about you. Go in and say "look I really like working here, I like this team, I'd like the chance to work with you and learn for you guys in the future." Be proactive if you want to keep this job.

This advice and mine seem contradictory, but they're not really. I'm not telling you to shut up and work, I'm just saying don't do anything to look grasping or insecure. I think matthies advice is excellent (as always).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Well basically I think the same. Attorney B and I didn't interact a whole lot. A few weeks ago it was his 50th bday and he wanted to do a slide show of pics and I'm good at stuff like that so I created one for him. That's probably the most interaction Attorney B and I had. He really hasn't said much to me since tues but it's not out of the norm. As for Attorney A he gave me a supena and 2nd amended notice of dep to type up but it was basically already pre made on the computer so all I had to do was change names, dates, and addresses which only took like 10 mins to do. The only other things I've done this wk is a couple of mailings. Like I said I don't do much as is now. I also agree with dluks comment too. I don't to draw unneccessary attetion to myself either. I've never been that great at being proactive but I did tell both attorneys that yea I like working here, want to continue working here, and want to learn more.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri May 21, 2010 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well basically I think the same. Attorney B and I didn't interact a whole lot. A few weeks ago it was his 50th bday and he wanted to do a slide show of pics and I'm good at stuff like that so I created one for him. That's probably the most interaction Attorney B and I had. He really hasn't said much to me since tues but it's not out of the norm. As for Attorney A he gave me a supena and 2nd amended notice of dep to type up but it was basically already pre made on the computer so all I had to do was change names, dates, and addresses which only took like 10 mins to do. The only other things I've done this wk is a couple of mailings. Like I said I don't do much as is now. I also agree with dluks comment too. I don't to draw unneccessary attetion to myself either. I've never been that great at being proactive but I did tell both attorneys that yea I like working here, want to continue working here, and want to learn more.

Tell them again, and ask to speak directly to Attorney B. As a person who has been in charge of people before and making hiring decisions I can tell you it means allot to go to the decision maker and say "I want this job" in no uncertain terms. Even if I know your leaving (which who knows, that may not happen for a while). If your good, I like your work and I KNOW because you told me in no uncertain terms you WANT this job, then I'm faced with either keeping on an employee that is good at their job and I know works well in my office, even if for a few more months or taking my chances with hiring a complatly new person i know nothing about.

What about saying to them in addition to the fact you like this job, you want to take on more reasonability, that you really not sure yet what's going to happen in the future but if they take a chance on you, then you won't burn them if you decide to go to law school. That you will give them several months of notice and that you will train your replacement personally and make sure they are up to speed. That for trusting you and giving you this shot, you will not let them down. That would impress me as a boss and make me more likely to give you the shot then go through the BS of taking my chance on someone new.

But you NEED to be more proactive, this is a skill you're going to need as a lawyer, and one they don't teach in law school, so learn it now. It will impress your boss if you come in make and your case. Maybe it won't keep your job, we don't know, but if I was your boss you telling me that you WANT THIS job and you understand why i might be concerned would show me your likely an employee I should take a risk on. Good luck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Matthies wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well basically I think the same. Attorney B and I didn't interact a whole lot. A few weeks ago it was his 50th bday and he wanted to do a slide show of pics and I'm good at stuff like that so I created one for him. That's probably the most interaction Attorney B and I had. He really hasn't said much to me since tues but it's not out of the norm. As for Attorney A he gave me a supena and 2nd amended notice of dep to type up but it was basically already pre made on the computer so all I had to do was change names, dates, and addresses which only took like 10 mins to do. The only other things I've done this wk is a couple of mailings. Like I said I don't do much as is now. I also agree with dluks comment too. I don't to draw unneccessary attetion to myself either. I've never been that great at being proactive but I did tell both attorneys that yea I like working here, want to continue working here, and want to learn more.

Tell them again, and ask to speak directly to Attorney B. As a person who has been in charge of people before and making hiring decisions I can tell you it means allot to go to the decision maker and say "I want this job" in no uncertain terms. Even if I know your leaving (which who knows, that may not happen for a while). If your good, I like your work and I KNOW because you told me in no uncertain terms you WANT this job, then I'm faced with either keeping on an employee that is good at their job and I know works well in my office, even if for a few more months or taking my chances with hiring a complatly new person i know nothing about.

What about saying to them in addition to the fact you like this job, you want to take on more reasonability, that you really not sure yet what's going to happen in the future but if they take a chance on you, then you won't burn them if you decide to go to law school. That you will give them several months of notice and that you will train your replacement personally and make sure they are up to speed. That for trusting you and giving you this shot, you will not let them down. That would impress me as a boss and make me more likely to give you the shot then go through the BS of taking my chance on someone new.

But you NEED to be more proactive, this is a skill you're going to need as a lawyer, and one they don't teach in law school, so learn it now. It will impress your boss if you come in make and your case. Maybe it won't keep your job, we don't know, but if I was your boss you telling me that you WANT THIS job and you understand why i might be concerned would show me your likely an employee I should take a risk on. Good luck

Thajks for your advice. I know I need to be more proactive and I am def going to talk to Attorney A (pretty sure he is the one that has to make the final decision). Again thanks for the advice, it has been a tremendous help!!

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Fri May 21, 2010 1:05 pm

They have every reason to think that you are going to leave. You have an advanced degree and expressed interest in getting another one, people like that typically don't stick around in an entry-level job; they leave the second a better opportunity shows up. If you really want to stay you really need to tell them that. If you think you are going to leave in a year or two, you should tell them that as well. You don't want to promise to work there for a long time and then ditch at your earliest convenience. That is a great way to burn bridges and piss people off, and you have no idea how that could come around and bite you in the ass. Be upfront and honest about your goals and plans for the next few years.

Return to “Legal Employment”