boo-teek firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

boo-teek firms

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2010 2:13 am

How exactly do you go about finding boutique firms that pay decent and have decent QOL? For example, you hear a lot about IP boutiques and tax boutiques...but how do you find them? And how do you know which ones are legit and which ones might make a future prospective employer go hmmm...?

anon because I do not work at a boutique firm at present...

A'nold

Re: boo-teek firms

Postby A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 2:17 am

Wait, why would not working at a botique make you need to post anonymously?

Anyway, don't these peeps usually come from biglaw?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2010 2:20 am

Because unless you are a law student unattached to any current employer, there's no point in not being anon? Anyway, hopefully someone besides the Anon Police have something to say..

Also, yes I tried googling this stuff, but it wasn't very helpful..

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri May 21, 2010 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Because unless you are a law student unattached to any current employer, there's no point in not being anon? Anyway, hopefully someone besides the Anon Police have something to say..

Nope just us anonymous police hanging out, wondering what's so incriminating about a general requests for information on how to research firms that it warrants an anonymous post (on an already-pseudonymous message board).

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri May 21, 2010 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Because unless you are a law student unattached to any current employer, there's no point in not being anon? Anyway, hopefully someone besides the Anon Police have something to say..

As Renzo points out, I'm sure that you will TOTALLY be outed b/c of an already annonymous account asking about something as ultimately controversial as how to tell what botique firms are legit or not. :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 21, 2010 6:36 am

I'm working for a mythical tax boutique this summer. it pays juuuuuust under market, and in terms of credentials, it's full of T14 grads, many of whom were on LR and/or clerked. The salary, the work, and the credentials of the attorneys are what makes you saw "____ & ________ & LLP is a boutique" instead of "is shitlaw" or "is a small firm", you know?

They hire 1Ls summer associates on the theory that they couldn't compete with 2L OCI. The above posters are partially correct in so much as very few people at the firm started at the firm. It's full of people who lateraled in after big law time or a stint at in a relevant high-powered government job. For the laterals, it's all about having connections to clients or relevant governmental units in order to get an offer.

I'm sure some boutique firms operate exclusively via lateral hiring and don't hire any associates right out of law school. But I know of at least one other that works the way mine does - many if not most attorneys lateral in, but they have a very small recruiting program and some associate ranks that came in just after law school.

As to how to find them, you look around. Chambers and Partners, Vault, NALP your school's career services office, word of mouth, other legal directories, etc. There will never be a handy list of small law firms that are actually a lot like biglaw and, believe it or not, hire students out of law school. There will never be a Vault Guide to Sweet Boutique Firms. It would be cool if there was - but you're going to have to do the legwork to figure it out.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Fri May 21, 2010 8:29 am

^ TITCR

RisingMichigan3L

Postby RisingMichigan3L » Fri May 21, 2010 9:16 am

A boutique firm that pays market in a major... market is almost a unicorn. I say "almost" because it does exist... in fact, there are many of them. The problem is, they likely will not hire you, as they are generally extremely selective...

Some boutiques off the top of my head:
Ivins, Phillips, and Barker (Tax)
Wachtell, Lipton, Rozen, and Katz (M&A--and yes, I think this is a boutique)
Susman & Godfrey (Litigation)
Bartlit Beck (Litigation)
Boies, Schiller & Flexner (Litigation--and yes, I think this is a boutique)
Keker & Van Nest (IP)
Kellogg, Huber (Litigation, I think)
Altshuler Berzon (Litigation)

Those are some. If you look at the credentials of their attorneys, they are almost all uniformly spectacular. I don't think Bartlit Beck takes people straight out of LS, unless they're for pre-clerkship summer... and that too you better have a super prestigious clerkship lined up.

Return to “Legal Employment”