law firm purchasing question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
suzie

law firm purchasing question

Postby suzie » Thu May 20, 2010 3:09 pm

If any of you have worked in a law firm I was wondering if you could tell me who in the law firm was in charge of purchasing software? and how large was the law firm. I am an aspiring law student at a top ten ugrad doing marketing work as a summer internship. Please help me out!

quickquestionthanks

Re: law firm purchasing question

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu May 20, 2010 3:13 pm

They're called associates.

suzie

Postby suzie » Thu May 20, 2010 3:21 pm

im assuming this is at big law firms? and yes i realize the randomness of my question and your slight sarcasm but i really have to find out, i have a deadline. anyone else willing to help?

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Thu May 20, 2010 3:24 pm

I would suggest calling IT. They can usually help out with this sort of information. At the firm I worked at they were implementing new DMS software and no one, from partners on down to legal assistants, knew what the hell was going on. IT takes care of all this and provides training. I'm guessing partners might let IT know what they need and then IT goes through vendors looking for those characteristics and sets it up. Hope this helps.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu May 20, 2010 3:24 pm

I thought this was about buying a law firm and I was really disappointed.

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Thu May 20, 2010 3:26 pm

rad law wrote:I thought this was about buying a law firm and I was really disappointed.

Yeah, I remember reading a thread posted by some dumbass kid wondering how to go about buying a small firm coming right out of law school. Ridiculous.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:34 pm

The IT dept. handles it.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu May 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:The IT dept. handles it.

Took you fucking long enough!!!! Didn't you read that she has a deadline??????

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu May 20, 2010 5:07 pm

rad law wrote:I thought this was about buying a law firm and I was really disappointed.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu May 20, 2010 5:15 pm

valley splitter wrote:

Yeah, I remember reading a thread posted by some dumbass kid wondering how to go about buying a small firm coming right out of law school. Ridiculous.

If you have the $ or the book of biz or a hookup, its pretty easy to buy into a firm.

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Thu May 20, 2010 5:37 pm

Matthies wrote:
valley splitter wrote:

If you have the $ or the book of biz or a hookup, its pretty easy to buy into a firm.

No, he didn't want to buy into the firm. He outright wanted to buy the firm from its owners. As if any client would stay at this firm under ownership by a kid fresh out of law school with the ink on his degree not even dry yet.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu May 20, 2010 5:42 pm

valley splitter wrote:
Matthies wrote:
valley splitter wrote:

No, he didn't want to buy into the firm. He outright wanted to buy the firm from its owners. As if any client would stay at this firm under ownership by a kid fresh out of law school with the ink on his degree not even dry yet.

I know a classmate who is kind of doing this, mentor she had wants to retire from his estate planning firm up in a resort town so he's teaching this girl the ropes to take over. Not sure how long this teaching thing is going to last, but hey she gets a (free) firm out of it.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Thu May 20, 2010 5:42 pm

suzie wrote:im assuming this is at big law firms? and yes i realize the randomness of my question and your slight sarcasm but i really have to find out, i have a deadline. anyone else willing to help?

You should contact a large law firm and ask. That would be my approach.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu May 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Matthies wrote:I know a classmate who is kind of doing this, mentor she had wants to retire from his estate planning firm up in a resort town so he's teaching this girl the ropes to take over. Not sure how long this teaching thing is going to last, but hey she gets a (free) firm out of it.

Sometimes I wish I were a woman....sometimes :mrgreen:

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu May 20, 2010 6:55 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Matthies wrote:I know a classmate who is kind of doing this, mentor she had wants to retire from his estate planning firm up in a resort town so he's teaching this girl the ropes to take over. Not sure how long this teaching thing is going to last, but hey she gets a (free) firm out of it.

Hey i know some older gay lawyers who are going to be retiring soon! I could introduce you....

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 8:19 pm

I don't know why people get so pissy over people looking to buy law firms out of law school. If the owner is willing to stay on for a few years to make the transition more comfortable/the owner doesn't outright tell clients that this new kid is taking over, they can make the transition smoothly and the clients, after a few years of working with the kid, will not be pissed when the old guy/girl retires.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri May 21, 2010 1:36 am

Matthies wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:

Hey i know some older gay lawyers who are going to be retiring soon! I could introduce you....

You've got a PM.

jk

suzie

Postby suzie » Fri May 21, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks for the info. 'preciate it

Return to “Legal Employment”