MBA vs JD

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MBA vs JD

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 19, 2010 11:49 am

I am an EE who has been working for 2 years now and will be finishing up my MSEE soon. I got into University of Houston Law School and was pretty set on going into patent law. However, I've recently started looking into top MBA programs, and I am thinking that might be a better option in terms of job prospects and salary ITE. Assuming I could get into a top 10 MBA program which would you guys think would be a better option UH JD (patent law) or a top 10 MBA?

I realize there are a lot of factors involved, but I am interested in what the TLS community thinks. Thanks.

Action Jackson

Re: MBA vs JD

Postby Action Jackson » Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 am

Get into a top 10 MBA program FIRST, then ask this question. You need killer work experience, along with stellar scores. Don't underestimate how hard it is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Action Jackson wrote:Get into a top 10 MBA program FIRST, then ask this question. You need killer work experience, along with stellar scores. Don't underestimate how hard it is.

I understand, but that's partly why I am asking the question to see if it's even worth pursuing. I took the GMAT and scored above the median score for all of the schools. So even though admission to a top MBA program is very difficult and depends on a lot of other things such as WE, recommendations, essays, etc., I don't think its completely impossible for me to get in.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Is this a joke?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

MC Southstar wrote:Is this a joke?

No, why?

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No, why?

Don't quote me, but 2 years W/E in engineering doesn't cut it for top 10 MBA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, why?

Well I would have 3 years if I started next year. But regardless, I'm just interested in finding out if it would be a better option if I were to get in.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, why?

Well I would have 3 years if I started next year. But regardless, I'm just interested in finding out if it would be a better option if I were to get in.

They are totally different career paths. Are you asking which one will make you more money? MBA.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Wed May 19, 2010 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:Get into a top 10 MBA program FIRST, then ask this question. You need killer work experience, along with stellar scores. Don't underestimate how hard it is.

I understand, but that's partly why I am asking the question to see if it's even worth pursuing. I took the GMAT and scored above the median score for all of the schools. So even though admission to a top MBA program is very difficult and depends on a lot of other things such as WE, recommendations, essays, etc., I don't think its completely impossible for me to get in.

A top 10 MBA program not only expects time put into the work force (MS doesn't count), but also accomplishment in work. Did you become a project manager? Have you started any side businesses? How many raises did you earn? Those sorts of things.

MBA careers have always been a blood bath, even from top schools. The expectation with an MBA is that you go in knowing enough about business that you have an idea, at least, of how the MBA is going to elevate you in your career. If you don't have a clear path, it's going to be tough.

Like I said, get into a top 10 program first and then ask a question like this. MBA admissions are far more unpredictable than law school admissions are. Numbers alone, including amount of time in the work force, mean very little.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 23, 2010 12:55 am

Action Jackson wrote:Like I said, get into a top 10 program first and then ask a question like this. MBA admissions are far more unpredictable than law school admissions are. Numbers alone, including amount of time in the work force, mean very little.

(not OP)

Bingo - I had 0 years of work experience but that didn't stop me from getting into a top-3 (HSW) MBA program. It's also worth noting that although MBA admissions are unpredictable, they tend to take a higher percentage of applicants than corresponding law schools. (Consider HYS law admission rates and compare to HWS business admission rates). No need to go raining on this guy's parade, he's just asking for advice.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 23, 2010 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 23, 2010 1:09 am

(Not OP)

Just curious, why don't you want to go into engineering?

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Sun May 23, 2010 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:Like I said, get into a top 10 program first and then ask a question like this. MBA admissions are far more unpredictable than law school admissions are. Numbers alone, including amount of time in the work force, mean very little.

(not OP)

Bingo - I had 0 years of work experience but that didn't stop me from getting into a top-3 (HSW) MBA program.

How'd you manage that?!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

(not OP)

Bingo - I had 0 years of work experience but that didn't stop me from getting into a top-3 (HSW) MBA program. It's also worth noting that although MBA admissions are unpredictable, they tend to take a higher percentage of applicants than corresponding law schools. (Consider HYS law admission rates and compare to HWS business admission rates). No need to go raining on this guy's parade, he's just asking for advice.

Several of the top programs take in a few students straight from college. It's not typical but still happens and there are several that get in with 1-3 years of experience. My whole point in starting this thread wasn't to discuss MBA admissions. I wouldn't post on TLS to ask advice on how to get into an MBA program. I was just interested in the view law students had on an MBA. I've heard both sides of the story for a JD and an MBA, but was interested in what the TLS community had to say. I want to know I'm making the right choice before I attempt to pursue an MBA. There's no point in even trying if it's not worthwhile.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 23, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(Not OP)

Just curious, why don't you want to go into engineering?

I've worked/interned at several big companies, and I just feel that the progression in salary is too slow. Engineering also isn't as exciting as I expected it to be, so that's another reason I am looking towards a career change.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 6:18 pm

OP wrote: I just feel that the progression in salary [of engineering] is too slow. Engineering also isn't as exciting as I expected it to be, so that's another reason I am looking towards a career change.

And law would be more exciting how?

University of Houston isn't exactly T14, you might find yourself making significantly less after law school than your current engineering position.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:21 am

Well OP what is it that you want to do? I would assume getting an MBA would translate to less student debt as I believe it is a 2 year, not a 3 year, degree. If you want to do patent law I would suggest a JD. Or you could always get a joint JD and MBA. Just takes an extra year in most programs.

Return to “Legal Employment”