GPA HELP AND GENERAL ADVICE!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
namicnivad

GPA HELP AND GENERAL ADVICE!

Postby namicnivad » Mon May 17, 2010 11:28 pm

I am currently finishing my junior year at a CUNY college (civil engineering) and I plan on transferring to a private school. When I transfer though, the new school will be taking away a year's worth of credits and thus I will be starting my junior year all over due to credits (in other words I will complete 64 credits in my new school to earn my BS in Civil). Here is the problem though. Since I recently found out that LSAC counts all credits, I will have 78 credits (with a 3.1 gpa overall) and even if I 4.0 (very hard engineering program and I'd be realistic in saying that if I work my tail off, a 3.5-3.7 is attainable), my gpa will be only 3.55 in a complete flawed LSAC frame. I score about a 172 on my diagnostics and thus let's say that is what I'll receive on the test for real.

A 4.0 is not possible in reality though, and I would like to be competing for schools in the 2-11 range and I'm afraid the gpa thing will scar me badly and an addendum has been done by many previous applicants in a similar position and so, reviewers at these schools could care less about my argument. I have won a couple scholarships, I'm a LEED AP consultant and none of this will help cuz the gpa will instantly screw me. I don't know what to do, should I take CC courses and "A" them all out (but when and will it help since I doing a full course load and I need my Civil degree and don't wish to switch majors).

Any observations/help is much appreciated and thus I will be looking for some guidance for all you fellow TLS members.

wiseowl

Re: GPA HELP AND GENERAL ADVICE!

Postby wiseowl » Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 pm

namicnivad wrote:I am currently finishing my junior year at a CUNY college (civil engineering) and I plan on transferring to a private school. When I transfer though, the new school will be taking away a year's worth of credits and thus I will be starting my junior year all over due to credits (in other words I will complete 64 credits in my new school to earn my BS in Civil). Here is the problem though. Since I recently found out that LSAC counts all credits, I will have 78 credits (with a 3.1 gpa overall) and even if I 4.0 (very hard engineering program and I'd be realistic in saying that if I work my tail off, a 3.5-3.7 is attainable), my gpa will be only 3.55 in a complete flawed LSAC frame. I score about a 172 on my diagnostics and thus let's say that is what I'll receive on the test for real.

A 4.0 is not possible in reality though, and I would like to be competing for schools in the 2-11 range and I'm afraid the gpa thing will scar me badly and an addendum has been done by many previous applicants in a similar position and so, reviewers at these schools could care less about my argument. I have won a couple scholarships, I'm a LEED AP consultant and none of this will help cuz the gpa will instantly screw me. I don't know what to do, should I take CC courses and "A" them all out (but when and will it help since I doing a full course load and I need my Civil degree and don't wish to switch majors).

Any observations/help is much appreciated and thus I will be looking for some guidance for all you fellow TLS members.

this will get moved to a better forum, but 3.55/172 will probably get you in at Penn on down, especially if you apply ED to UVA.

namicnivad

Postby namicnivad » Mon May 17, 2010 11:55 pm

But 3.55 is a pipe dream of perfection, and I'm not perfect. So I think a safe overall gpa for me if i excel (3.7 plus) would be about 3.3-3.4 gpa in reality. Not so hot for 2-11 even if in reality I CHI Epsilon in Civil and work for a good firm in nyc for 1 year.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 am

I got into NYU with a 3.4/175 despite a late application (on the other hand, I also got waitlisted eight places). You can get into the top 11, but it won't be easy.

And yeah, this is a terrible choice of forum.

Return to “Legal Employment”