Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 2:59 pm

So I was recently charged with a 3rd degree misdemeanor for a dumb prank I did at a bar with a friend. We stole a flag from a bar and alledgedly broke a window. Not sure how gently pulling a flag down breaks a window, but whatever.

Anyway, I have a near full scholarship to a law school in the fall. Do I need to tell them or should I?

Note, it is likely the charges will be dropped if I pay for the dumb window. Even if they aren't if I plead guilty, obviously it won't be on my record forever due to my good behavior.

Give me some advice and genearally thoughts.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Yes, you must report this. It will probably not affect anything. But if you do not report it and they find out, you could get in trouble on C&F (which can see charges even if they were eventually cleared).

Anecdotally, someone I know got charged with resisting arrest the summer before law school (not even convicted). She disclosed it to the school and everything was fine. They said, however, that if she had not disclosed it, it would have been a big problem.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Any thoughts on it affecting my scholarship? Also, what if the charges are dropped?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 4:35 pm

Any more thoughts?

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby TCScrutinizer » Sun May 16, 2010 4:49 pm

Honestly, there's really no good advice other than, "disclose asap; do whatever it takes to get the charges dropped."

User avatar
McBean
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby McBean » Sun May 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Good behavior does not remove convictions, even misdemeanors, from your record. You would have to have it expunged, which can be a process.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23886
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Thirteen » Sun May 16, 2010 5:01 pm

TCS wrote:Honestly, there's really no good advice other than, "disclose asap; do whatever it takes to get the charges dropped."


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Do I disclose via email?

Word document letter?

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23886
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Thirteen » Sun May 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I disclose via email?

Word document letter?


I would call and speak to the dean or head of the admissions department, then follow up the conversation with an e-mail. The most important thing is owning up to what happened without making excuses or shifting the blame. The acdomms are humans, and understand that 22 year olds do dumb shit.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Be careful with your phrases when disclosing this incident. "Stealing" a flag & "breaking" a tavern's window sounds like two offenses that read more seriously than might be warranted.
Consider: A window was broken while taking a flag from a tavern during a prank.
You may also want to use the word "cited" rather than "charged" if it is appropriate.
Recently I received a citation for a foolish prank; we accidently broke a window while taking a Tavern's flag. I paid for the broken window & accepted responsibility for my foolishness.
Also, if truthful & appropriate, use "tavern" instead of "bar" so as to avoid raising concerns about excessive drinking. Also, don't reveal more than needs to be disclosed. For example, do NOT write that "I was thankful that we weren't charged with public drunkeness or disorderly conduct, and thank God they didn't search us!"
It helps if you think of disclosure as the opposite of a law school exam = you don't want to raise any additional issues in a disclosure.

lawemzee
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:42 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby lawemzee » Mon May 17, 2010 12:40 am

Absolutely disclose. You don't want to work your tail off for three years, apply for the bar and then not be admitted becuase you failed to mention a misdemeanor (I doubt you'd actually be disqualified, but it could get complicated). For one thing, part of the reason schools want to know so that they can assist you in figuring out whether you still qualify for the bar.

I don't think they'd revoke your scholarship for a prank, but they might for not telling them.

And yes, call.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Any more thoughts on my scholarship status?

It happened Sunday morning at about 1AM.

When should I call the school? My attorney is advising me to call them after I see if the charges will be dropped so I can say to the school that "The charges will be dropped."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 18, 2010 1:21 am

THoughts?

Weighing on my mind big time as you can imagine.

I think I'm still in the mode where I can't believe I spent Saturday night locked up.

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Always Credited » Tue May 18, 2010 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:THoughts?

Weighing on my mind big time as you can imagine.

I think I'm still in the mode where I can't believe I spent Saturday night locked up.


Dude. It doesn't matter. YOU MUST DISCLOSE. Whatever happens to your scholly from there, happens. If you ever want to practice law, you cannot figure out the possible consequences and then decide whether or not to disclose.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 18, 2010 2:16 am

Always Credited wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:THoughts?

Weighing on my mind big time as you can imagine.

I think I'm still in the mode where I can't believe I spent Saturday night locked up.


Dude. It doesn't matter. YOU MUST DISCLOSE. Whatever happens to your scholly from there, happens. If you ever want to practice law, you cannot figure out the possible consequences and then decide whether or not to disclose.

I am going to disclose. However, when should I do it? Right away? Within a week of when the event ocurred?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 18, 2010 2:21 am

OP should be outed for violating the terms of the anonymous feature.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 18, 2010 2:26 am

You think an arrest isn't sensitive information?

User avatar
PLATONiC
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby PLATONiC » Tue May 18, 2010 2:33 am

I say risk it.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby vanwinkle » Tue May 18, 2010 2:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:You think an arrest isn't sensitive information?

If you read the forum rules in the big orange box above, it's a little more specific than that. It says the anonymous feature is only appropriate when revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc.

Of course I think it's sensitive information. I also think you're abusing the anonymous feature, which only exists in the legal employment forum for employment-related discussion, to discuss something you admit yourself isn't employment-related at all by starting your thread title with "Not employment". I also think the mods should out people who abuse the anonymous feature like you have in order to discourage people from doing it in the future.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273242
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 18, 2010 2:35 am

Fair enough. I guess the creation of a new username must be in the works.

User avatar
jayn3
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby jayn3 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:38 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You think an arrest isn't sensitive information?

If you read the forum rules in the big orange box above, it's a little more specific than that. It says the anonymous feature is only appropriate when revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc.

Of course I think it's sensitive information. I also think you're abusing the anonymous feature, which only exists in the legal employment forum for employment-related discussion, to discuss something you admit yourself isn't employment-related at all by starting your thread title with "Not employment". I also think the mods should out people who abuse the anonymous feature like you have in order to discourage people from doing it in the future.

^truth.

anyway, OP, you have the answer to your question....maybe it's time to delete the thread.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8444
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 18, 2010 7:00 am

Wait... why is everyone saying OP has to disclose?

Since when is your law school entitled to all personal information? I was never asked about criminal conduct between application and enrolling. They want to know about your record when making a decision both for their reasons and for C&F reasons... but if you've already been accepted, I have no idea why everyone is clamoring all over themselves for you to disclose.

If you don't, and get convicted and thrown in jail (unlikely) and then it comes up on C&F, they're not going to go ZOUNDS, why did you not GO BACK IN TIME and list this arrest on your law school application!?!?!@2

For the record, I don't think disclosing would do any harm - I just have no idea why everyone thinks you have to.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby dextermorgan » Tue May 18, 2010 7:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I was recently charged with a 3rd degree misdemeanor for a dumb prank I did at a bar with a friend. We stole a flag from a bar and alledgedly broke a window. Not sure how gently pulling a flag down breaks a window, but whatever.

Anyway, I have a near full scholarship to a law school in the fall. Do I need to tell them or should I?

Note, it is likely the charges will be dropped if I pay for the dumb window. Even if they aren't if I plead guilty, obviously it won't be on my record forever due to my good behavior.

Give me some advice and genearally thoughts.

I don't think you understand how criminal records work.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby CG614 » Tue May 18, 2010 8:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any more thoughts on my scholarship status?

It happened Sunday morning at about 1AM.

When should I call the school? My attorney is advising me to call them after I see if the charges will be dropped so I can say to the school that "The charges will be dropped."


You have an attorney, take their advice and don't ask internet strangers.

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Not employment, but this is the only place I could post anon

Postby holydonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 8:58 am

CG614 wrote:You have an attorney, take their advice and don't ask internet strangers.
Really only advice you should follow itt. Your attorney likely knows more about this than anyone on tls.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.