Accidental Failure to Register with Selective Services

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accidental Failure to Register with Selective Services

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Has anyone who did not register with Selective Services been denied admission to the Bar?

I sent back the registration card that they sent me when I turned 18 and never heard back from them. I never had reason to check it (not required for Driver's License in my state, and I didn't apply for Federal student aid as an undergrad). Well while I was applying for Federal aid for LS, I found out they never received my registration and now I am too old to register.

Re: Accidental Failure to Register with Selective Services

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone who did not register with Selective Services been denied admission to the Bar?

I sent back the registration card that they sent me when I turned 18 and never heard back from them. I never had reason to check it (not required for Driver's License in my state, and I didn't apply for Federal student aid as an undergrad). Well while I was applying for Federal aid for LS, I found out they never received my registration and now I am too old to register.

You're fine. You only have to prove that you registered if you are under the maximum age.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2010 9:42 pm

This is specifically for the state of Georgia in my case, although pretty much every other southern state has similar rules.

On the Georgia State Bar Character application, it says you have to put down your Selective Service number if you are a male born after 1959...

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is specifically for the state of Georgia in my case, although pretty much every other southern state has similar rules.

On the Georgia State Bar Character application, it says you have to put down your Selective Service number if you are a male born after 1959...

Even worse, a quick google says you aren't eligible for any federal student loans and the only way to rectify it appears to join the military and serve a term to get a DD Form 214.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 pm

As to your original question...--LinkRemoved-- It is not a requirement for admission to the GA bar according to their rule book. Even though the form does ask for it. Maybe put N/A and attach an explanation?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:01 pm

17. WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE A CONCERN ABOUT SOMETHING IN MY RECORD THAT MAY CAUSE A CONCERN?

Contact the Office of Bar Admissions early in the process to discuss your concern. You must file your fitness application early, not during the late filing period, so that the Board will have adequate time to consider your file prior to the bar examination. If you file late, you may not be certified in time for the following exam.

You may contact the Office of Bar Admissions at (404)656-3490 or write: 244 Washington Street, SW, Suite 440, Atlanta, Georgia 30334 if you have any questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2010 10:10 pm

blhoward,

Thank you for finding that rule book for me. It is people like you who make this forum a useful tool to all incoming law students. I have called the GA bar admissions office a couple of times regarding the matter and I've received rather cagey answers regarding this.

I am still hoping to find people who have had this problem, or know of someone who has had this problem, and what their particular outcomes were.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:blhoward,

Thank you for finding that rule book for me. It is people like you who make this forum a useful tool to all incoming law students. I have called the GA bar admissions office a couple of times regarding the matter and I've received rather cagey answers regarding this.

I am still hoping to find people who have had this problem, or know of someone who has had this problem, and what their particular outcomes were.

My guess would be because the government says they must demand the number but doesn't specify what happens if you don't have one.

Edit: Also, you're welcome

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Did you get undergrad loans? If you did, then you're registered with selective services (AFAIK).

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Fri May 14, 2010 8:50 am

blhoward2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is specifically for the state of Georgia in my case, although pretty much every other southern state has similar rules.

Even worse, a quick google says you aren't eligible for any federal student loans and the only way to rectify it appears to join the military and serve a term to get a DD Form 214.

You're also absolutely barred from any federal government position, ever, as well as most state government positions. This is, in short, a pretty damn stupid "accident" to have.

It's pretty dire, so if you did actually send it back, you need to get legal counsel to sort this out. Don't try to handle this yourself and don't try to handle the bar issue yourself, either. They're being "cagey" because it's possibly a huge issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks for posting this I had a semi panic attack because I couldnt remember ever registering for this, but I went the site and I submitted my stuff in 2005

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 11:34 am

This might be a stupid question, but do women have to do this, or only men? I am a woman and cannot remember ever receiving a Selective Services card, let alone registering.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri May 14, 2010 11:35 am

are you just trying to brag about not having loans for college or law school?

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Fri May 14, 2010 11:36 am

No, women do not have to register

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 am

underdawg wrote:are you just trying to brag about not having loans for college or law school?

I'm hoping you're just trying to push his buttons. Otherwise, you're a complete idiot.

He never emphasized the fact that he didn't have to take federal loans as an undergrad. He only mentioned it as an explanation for why he hasn't found out about this issue until now. Also, he obviously is trying to get loans for law school from the Fed or else he wouldn't be having this dilemma.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 2:45 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

You're also absolutely barred from any federal government position, ever, as well as most state government positions. This is, in short, a pretty damn stupid "accident" to have.

It's pretty dire, so if you did actually send it back, you need to get legal counsel to sort this out. Don't try to handle this yourself and don't try to handle the bar issue yourself, either. They're being "cagey" because it's possibly a huge issue.

I became aware of my limitations in the public sector shortly after I became aware of my lack of registration. I am OK with being limited to the private sector, but I am most interested in my Bar eligibility.

This appeal to the TLS to hear about success or failure stories is really a last ditch effort. I've contacted several lawyers in both Georgia and my home state, but none of them have been interested in taking my case. The biggest problem is that there is essentially no evidence that shows I did or didn't do something. At 18 I got a couple notices from them and decided I better fill it out and send it in (at 18 I wasn't in the business of making photocopies of everything). I never heard back from them, and never thought about it again until about a month ago when this whole thing came up.

Im still looking for anyone who has had a similar problem to mine and how it worked out for them.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri May 14, 2010 2:52 pm

want to say thanks to blurbz for that link. i had no clue if i was or wasn't

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This might be a stupid question, but do women have to do this, or only men? I am a woman and cannot remember ever receiving a Selective Services card, let alone registering.

this is not the OP right? The anon user thing is killing me on this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 3:04 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This might be a stupid question, but do women have to do this, or only men? I am a woman and cannot remember ever receiving a Selective Services card, let alone registering.

this is not the OP right? The anon user thing is killing me on this thread.

We are different people... I, the OP, am male.

Return to “Legal Employment”