Split Internships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Split Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Just wanted people's opinion of splitting internships....I have the possibility of doing 6 weeks w/ judge and 6 weeks with US Attny......OR I could just do US Attny for the whole summer.... does 6 weeks give you enough time to really get to know an employer and have a reference? Would it look better to do two diff things on your resume to make yourself a more competitive applicant for OCI in the FALL ?

thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Split Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted people's opinion of splitting internships....I have the possibility of doing 6 weeks w/ judge and 6 weeks with US Attny......OR I could just do US Attny for the whole summer.... does 6 weeks give you enough time to really get to know an employer and have a reference? Would it look better to do two diff things on your resume to make yourself a more competitive applicant for OCI in the FALL ?

thanks!

I'm splitting this summer. What you do as a 1L isn't going to give you a massive leg up on the competition, so doing two of it isn't going to help either.

There are a few good reasons for splitting:

1) You accept offer A, then get offer B. This can be a good way of doing two things you want to do without pissing people off. It is especially common if offer A is not paid or lowly paid (RA, judge, government work) and offer B is a paying firm gig.

2) Exposure. Lots of people have divergent interests, so spending the summer doing two things can be helpful for that.

3) Dual firms. 2L summer some people split between two firms, occasionally a firm they worked with as a 1L, sometimes it's just a cultural thing (happens a lot in TX I hear) and some people are just indecisive. Especially in this economy, it is recommended that you don't do this - too big of a risk that both firms will see you as a flight risk and decline to extend a permanent offer.

4) Job A + RA work. I know people with low key summer gigs who did research with a professor on the side. Builds a relationship, gets you some beer money, etc.

But the most important point is the one I made at the top of this post, just doing two things over a summer isn't going to make you more employable. Still, the practice is common enough that it won't sound crazy to a legal employer if you suggest it, and 6 weeks is short but enough time to not make it crazy.

Anonymous User

Re: Split Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Make sure you aren't screwing yourself by turning a full-time offer into a half/half. I know many employers tend to see this as a lack of dedication. Clearly there are benefits to the split-summer tho.

Return to “Legal Employment”