HYS 0L--Are we still screwed?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
smittytron3k

HYS 0L--Are we still screwed?

Postby smittytron3k » Mon May 10, 2010 9:12 pm

I will be attending HYS in the fall. Are employment prospects still as robust as they once were, or should we be worrying that the sky is falling too? Not a flame, I swear.

hubtubrub

Re: HYS 0L--Are we still screwed?

Postby hubtubrub » Mon May 10, 2010 9:15 pm

FLAME

BURN

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Mon May 10, 2010 9:16 pm

also... why is this anonymous?

Can a mod out this stupid poster?

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Tue May 11, 2010 1:14 am

Yeah, you are well and truly screwed. Your classmates will be fine.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue May 11, 2010 1:25 am

I don't think the poster needs to be outed...being worried about employment prospects is fairly standard, I think, when we're staring down 6 figures of debt, even at a top-3 school.

My short answer: no.

Longer answer: The very bottom of our classes (moreso at HLS, due to size and not quality of student) will have a harder time. I do mean VERY bottom, as in, bottom 10% or so. Basically, folks with all "Pass" grades and little personality will possibly not get market-paying jobs in primary locations.

I underline possibly because there are students with "LP" or "RC" on their transcripts from these schools who are also grabbing gigs at V20 firms. We'll be quite lucky, all-in-all, particularly if the worst is over. I can't say that with certainty (though I do think it's likely). At Stanford this year, 2 students left OCI without offers, according to folks during ASW. I don't know what the numbers were at Harvard and Yale, but I imagine they're fairly similar.

Yes, there are folks at all of these schools who struck out. That sucks (and I'm petrified of being one of them come next year, as I'm sure others are as well), but HYS students are more insulated. Things aren't great, but they aren't bad. Coming into a school where 95%+ students are getting good-paying (or interesting PI/gov't/etc.) positions, knowing LRAP and IBR are there to cover our backs, and with three of the best alumni networks in the world among schools of ANY type have to be as good a set of odds as folks should expect from a possible investment.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 11, 2010 1:27 am

Just don't write any racist emails that leak to the campus and you'll be fine.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 am

Recruiting likely will not be at or near the 2006-07 level when you get through, but you probably won't experience the no-offers, rescindments, and skipped classes that the c/o 2010-2012 will.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:55 am

Kretzy wrote:I don't think the poster needs to be outed...being worried about employment prospects is fairly standard, I think, when we're staring down 6 figures of debt, even at a top-3 school.

The problem is that this use of the anonymous feature is pointless. The OP is not "revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc" and thus should not be using the feature. People in this subforum constantly use the anonymous feature without warrant. I think that the rules should be followed in this regard because this feature exists for a real reason and use of it outside of that reason should be met with a heavy hand. These people are either too lazy to register (if it is possible to post anonymously without registering) or merely blatantly ignoring the rules. Either way, it should be cracked down on in my mind. But, I am not a mod and would not wish to spend the time it takes to maintain a forum. Thus I understand that mods not wanting to spend time cracking down on something that is not that harmful and is more annoying than anything else.

rv11

Postby rv11 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:59 am

bk1 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I don't think the poster needs to be outed...being worried about employment prospects is fairly standard, I think, when we're staring down 6 figures of debt, even at a top-3 school.

The problem is that this use of the anonymous feature is pointless. The OP is not "revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc" and thus should not be using the feature. People in this subforum constantly use the anonymous feature without warrant. I think that the rules should be followed in this regard because this feature exists for a real reason and use of it outside of that reason should be met with a heavy hand. These people are either too lazy to register (if it is possible to post anonymously without registering) or merely blatantly ignoring the rules. Either way, it should be cracked down on in my mind. But, I am not a mod and would not wish to spend the time it takes to maintain a forum. Thus I understand that mods not wanting to spend time cracking down on something that is not that harmful and is more annoying than anything else.

It's an internet forum. For the most part, everything is anonymous. It's not a huge deal.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Thu May 13, 2010 12:30 am

hubtubrub wrote:FLAME

BURN

hahaha

I'm pretty sure HYS is the only group that's not screwed...

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 pm

My short answer: no.

Longer answer: The very bottom of our classes (moreso at HLS, due to size and not quality of student) will have a harder time. I do mean VERY bottom, as in, bottom 10% or so. Basically, folks with all "Pass" grades and little personality will possibly not get market-paying jobs in primary locations.

I underline possibly because there are students with "LP" or "RC" on their transcripts from these schools who are also grabbing gigs at V20 firms. We'll be quite lucky, all-in-all, particularly if the worst is over. I can't say that with certainty (though I do think it's likely). At Stanford this year, 2 students left OCI without offers, according to folks during ASW. I don't know what the numbers were at Harvard and Yale, but I imagine they're fairly similar.

Yes, there are folks at all of these schools who struck out. That sucks (and I'm petrified of being one of them come next year, as I'm sure others are as well), but HYS students are more insulated. Things aren't great, but they aren't bad. Coming into a school where 95%+ students are getting good-paying (or interesting PI/gov't/etc.) positions, knowing LRAP and IBR are there to cover our backs, and with three of the best alumni networks in the world among schools of ANY type have to be as good a set of odds as folks should expect from a possible investment.

I agree with Kretz's prognosis of SLS. At admit weekend I didn't meet one student who seemed stressed about their summer or career prospects, and the people I spoke with in-depth were equally calm and confident. Plus, the numbers say a lot: only 2 students left OCI without offers.

mnewboldc

Postby mnewboldc » Sun May 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Are you screwed in the sense that you won't be able to land biglaw gigs? Probably not.

Are you screwed in the sense that perhaps you (and many of your classmates) will have to settle for the types of "biglaw" outfits that routinely no-offer large portions of their summer class or who will defer you indefinitely or cut you loose after a year or two on the job? Well it looks as if Cravath hired 23 SA's for That's down from 120 the year before. One year. So, yes. Many of you will end up at Stroock and Katten and Cadwalader.

So the name of the game for anyone who lands outside the V5 (or maybe the V10, if Latham crawls back in there) is to pay down debt as soon as you can. HLS kids certainly have a better opportunity to do that than most.

Return to “Legal Employment”