EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jujujohn
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:40 am

EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby jujujohn » Mon May 10, 2010 12:23 am

there must be some out there?

pls kindly share your insights/advices?

reality is slowing setting up on me that my EE background will not be carrying me as far as I thought it would have.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 10, 2010 12:30 am

Depends - Do you just have a Bachelors or MS too? Have you taken the patent bar? What year are you? Do you have prior IP experience? Are you interested in targeting IP Boutiques or firms with IP practice groups?

ivebert
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:33 am

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby ivebert » Mon May 10, 2010 4:29 am

edited
Last edited by ivebert on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby awesomepossum » Mon May 10, 2010 6:13 am

I know quite a few law student/lawyer EEs and I don't know any that have really struggled. OTOH, the EE people I know are generally in/were in top-20 schools.

notyou
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 5:05 am

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby notyou » Mon May 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Are you in California?

I'm an MSEE with work experience at a T1 with grades around top 25-33% and I've been struggling as a 1L. I'm waiting to hear back from some interviews, but it's been quite brutal. There are lots of 2Ls at all sorts of schools who still have nothing.

I'm worried about not having anything for the summer.

I went ahead and bid on the Loyola patent fair and targeted firms outside of California. I laugh when I see that people are targeting California. Even our professors and career people say to get out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 10:22 am

jujujohn wrote:there must be some out there?

pls kindly share your insights/advices?

reality is slowing setting up on me that my EE background will not be carrying me as far as I thought it would have.


All the EE's I know (myself included) are doing fine. Are you from a lower ranked school? Or are you... not the best interviewer? In my experience, as long as an EE is from a decent school (T30 and up) and has enough social skill to carry on a conversation, he does pretty well.

Unless we know more about you, we cannot identify what is holding you back. Once we know what that x factor is, we can help you find a way to work around it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 3:07 pm

don't lose hope! BS in EE, went straight to a T20 law school from undergrad, top 10% after first semester

applied to every district court judge in my home market (didn't even a single interview... was told by most judges that they only hired from local schools or were already full for the summer), applied to over 50 patent boutiques in school and home market (1 interview and callback, no offer), applied to 20+ governmental agencies (1 interview, no offer), applied to many, many, many midsized and biglaw firms...

right around the time i was giving up and about to just take summer classes or beg a professor to take me as a research assistant (and seriously upset about turning down engineering jobs to go to law school)... got an interview, callback, and offer from an NLJ100 firm.

keep trying, be persistent, and things will work out in the end... FWIW, everyone at my school with a 1L summer associate position was either a EE or ME.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby stratocophic » Tue May 11, 2010 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:don't lose hope! BS in EE, went straight to a T20 law school from undergrad, top 10% after first semester

applied to every district court judge in my home market (didn't even a single interview... was told by most judges that they only hired from local schools or were already full for the summer), applied to over 50 patent boutiques in school and home market (1 interview and callback, no offer), applied to 20+ governmental agencies (1 interview, no offer), applied to many, many, many midsized and biglaw firms...

right around the time i was giving up and about to just take summer classes or beg a professor to take me as a research assistant (and seriously upset about turning down engineering jobs to go to law school)... got an interview, callback, and offer from an NLJ100 firm.

keep trying, be persistent, and things will work out in the end... FWIW, everyone at my school with a 1L summer associate position was either a EE or ME.
.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2010 10:55 am

I have an EE degree and was planning on attending University of Houston Law this fall. If I put off law school for one more year, my job will pay me to finish off my Masters in EE (without any restrictions on staying). However, when I talked to some patent attorneys, they told me a MS holds no value and it's better to start my JD than to finish up my MSEE and then start my JD. What do you guys think?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: EE students struggling in landing an IP gig?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have an EE degree and was planning on attending University of Houston Law this fall. If I put off law school for one more year, my job will pay me to finish off my Masters in EE (without any restrictions on staying). However, when I talked to some patent attorneys, they told me a MS holds no value and it's better to start my JD than to finish up my MSEE and then start my JD. What do you guys think?


Only a year, and you are getting paid to to do it? Heck, I would just go ahead and get it, regardless of if it is going to help you. One year not working as an attorney is not going to make a difference in the long run, so why not?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.