Leak your school's OCI data here

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby RPK34 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:41 am

Renzo wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Columbia
V10 Placement: 19.25%
V25 Placement: 34%
V50 Placement: 49.75%
V75 Placement: 56.5%
V100 Placement: 61.25%
Total EIP Placement (according to OP): 67.5%

It's interesting that 60+% got V100, and only 6% got "other" Biglaw jobs. To me that suggests that, had the bottom 3rd aimed a little lower, it might have been better rewarded. Seems like something that will correct itself when next year's data come sout. Still, have the class in V50 jobs ITE is pretty impressive.


It's actually a bloodbath. This isn't 67% of the class in biglaw jobs, it's 67% of the EIW participants. This means that anyone who knew they didn't want biglaw, because they wanted PI, gov't, etc., isn't counted. In the past, well over 90% of EIW participants got offers, and many got multiple offers.


I don't get it, it's just 2Ls. Columbia's law classes are about 400 people, which is the number of people who showed up for the OCI. It seems, unless I'm missing something, that most of the class showed up for the OCI, no?

Also, I would bet that a higher percentage of kids are going to OCI now that job prospects are harder to come by, even if they plan on doinig PI or gov't.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Renzo » Tue May 11, 2010 1:31 pm

RPK34 wrote: I don't get it, it's just 2Ls. Columbia's law classes are about 400 people, which is the number of people who showed up for the OCI. It seems, unless I'm missing something, that most of the class showed up for the OCI, no?

Also, I would bet that a higher percentage of kids are going to OCI now that job prospects are harder to come by, even if they plan on doinig PI or gov't.


Most all students at any school do OCI. Historically about 10% of CLS's class (and a trivially higher number at NYU) goes straight to PI work, and that's roughly consistent with the number of people who don't participate in EIW, so it seems safe to assume that these people really, genuinely had zero interest in a firm job. Which means in normal years, 90% of the class does EIW, and 90%+ of those get jobs, meaning there's a single-digit percentage of the class who doesn't get the job they want.

It's pointless to guess whether more people did EIW than would have had the economy been strong; there's just no way to know. The distinction I was trying to make is that 45% of the class (EIW non-participants plus no-offered participants) is now likely competing for those PI/gov't jobs that normally go to the 10% of the class that really wanted them; further, there may be less of those jobs to go around than usual, because of deferred associates, municipal budget cuts, etc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 2:25 pm

RPK34 wrote:I don't get it, it's just 2Ls. Columbia's law classes are about 400 people, which is the number of people who showed up for the OCI.


CLS takes dozens of transfers. True class size at time of EIP will look more like 430++

toaster2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby toaster2 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm

.
Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby sanpiero » Tue May 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Renzo wrote:It's actually a bloodbath. This isn't 67% of the class in biglaw jobs, it's 67% of the EIW participants. This means that anyone who knew they didn't want biglaw, because they wanted PI, gov't, etc., isn't counted. In the past, well over 90% of EIW participants got offers, and many got multiple offers.


Any idea what this 67% figure translates to in terms of percentage of the class?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm curious why other students aren't posting their schools' data. This is useful information for incoming students.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious why other students aren't posting their schools' data. This is useful information for incoming students.


Because they don't have it to post. Nobody is holding out on you. This market sucked - CLS and NYU apparantly felt like they did well enough to give it to their students, but every other good school has yet to do so. Nobody wants to be the first list of bloodbath numbers leaked.

Believe me, if there were data out there I would know - CLS and NYU is it.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby TTT-LS » Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 pm

,
Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 11, 2010 6:23 pm

What about anecdotal evidence? Or is that too difficult to construct? I would imagine word gets around who lands an SA gig and who does not. While imperfect, it could be useful and maybe even force schools to disclose data rather than having students release speculations.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby sanpiero » Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 pm

TTT-LS wrote:I can't speak for other schools, but for Northwestern, I'm not sure this data exists or is available to students. At the very least I've never seen anything equivalent in my 3 years at the school. We have charts that show historical hiring by firms & GPA, but those don't ever get into percentages of the class hired from OCI, etc.


NLJ placement for the CO of 2009 was around 55%. In light of your knowledge of how things went in the Fall, would you say NLJ placement will likely dip below 40% for the CO 2011?

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby TTT-LS » Tue May 11, 2010 9:27 pm

,
Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue May 11, 2010 9:39 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
sanpiero wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:I can't speak for other schools, but for Northwestern, I'm not sure this data exists or is available to students. At the very least I've never seen anything equivalent in my 3 years at the school. We have charts that show historical hiring by firms & GPA, but those don't ever get into percentages of the class hired from OCI, etc.


NLJ placement for the CO of 2009 was around 55%. In light of your knowledge of how things went in the Fall, would you say NLJ placement will likely dip below 40% for the CO 2011?

How should I know? I'm a 3L, so I didn't go through OCI this fall. Moreover, even a 2L wouldn't know, because no member of the class knows enough people to make an intelligent estimate. Nobody but the school's CSO would be able to comment with any degree of accuracy. Frankly, with inquiries like this all you're likely to get is unsubstantiated speculation such that apples-to-apples comparisons between schools are impossible.

I get it: you guys are hungry for data. That data would definitely be relevant to those still choosing where to attend, or, alternatively, whether to xfer. But otherwise all this "data" (CLS aside) is really doing is fueling fanboyism and pointless rankings wars among people who are not doing either of those things. There's more to life than this stuff, folks.


Soooo... could someone please explain to me again why the ABA doesn't require reporting of this information?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Renzo » Tue May 11, 2010 10:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious why other students aren't posting their schools' data. This is useful information for incoming students.


Because they don't have it to post. Nobody is holding out on you. This market sucked - CLS and NYU apparantly felt like they did well enough to give it to their students, but every other good school has yet to do so. Nobody wants to be the first list of bloodbath numbers leaked.

Believe me, if there were data out there I would know - CLS and NYU is it.

I'm a little surprised by this. Not to say it isn't true, just a little surprised. Obviously OCS at every school has this info, and I'd be shocked if students weren't demanding it in the past, not to mention in the current employment climate.

Voyager
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Voyager » Tue May 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious why other students aren't posting their schools' data. This is useful information for incoming students.


Because they don't have it to post. Nobody is holding out on you. This market sucked - CLS and NYU apparantly felt like they did well enough to give it to their students, but every other good school has yet to do so. Nobody wants to be the first list of bloodbath numbers leaked.

Believe me, if there were data out there I would know - CLS and NYU is it.

I'm a little surprised by this. Not to say it isn't true, just a little surprised. Obviously OCS at every school has this info, and I'd be shocked if students weren't demanding it in the past, not to mention in the current employment climate.


If CLS is at 67% you can bet there were a series of massacres at other schools.

If i were in career services I would want to keep that data hidden.

By the way, 67% offer rate at CLS EIP is a fucking disaster. I was just below median my year and had 7 offers by the end of the process... and that was 2008 when firms were beginning to realize things were not kosher.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby sanpiero » Tue May 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Voyager wrote:If CLS is at 67% you can bet there were a series of massacres at other schools.

If i were in career services I would want to keep that data hidden.

By the way, 67% offer rate at CLS EIP is a fucking disaster. I was just below median my year and had 7 offers by the end of the process... and that was 2008 when firms were beginning to realize things were not kosher.


thanks for your insights, voyager

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Added up some figures. Approximately 260 offers were extended to michigan students. That doesn't include overlap, which there was a lot of. Blood-fucking-bath.

Around 30 total offers (not accounting for overlap, which was definitely huge in this group) from V10s.

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sun May 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Added up some figures. Approximately 260 offers were extended to michigan students. That doesn't include overlap, which there was a lot of. Blood-fucking-bath.

Around 30 total offers (not accounting for overlap, which was definitely huge in this group) from V10s.


due to my upcoming and last final (property) i have no where near the time or energy needed to figure out if this can be made to yield a meaningful estimate of the percentage of the 2L class who got an offer from Michigan. any takers?

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby sanpiero » Sun May 16, 2010 9:31 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Added up some figures. Approximately 260 offers were extended to michigan students. That doesn't include overlap, which there was a lot of. Blood-fucking-bath.

Around 30 total offers (not accounting for overlap, which was definitely huge in this group) from V10s.


due to my upcoming and last final (property) i have no where near the time or energy needed to figure out if this can be made to yield a meaningful estimate of the percentage of the 2L class who got an offer from Michigan. any takers?


http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestu ... stics.aspx

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Added up some figures. Approximately 260 offers were extended to michigan students. That doesn't include overlap, which there was a lot of. Blood-fucking-bath.

Around 30 total offers (not accounting for overlap, which was definitely huge in this group) from V10s.


If that is true, that is fucking horrifying.

I am looking at the CLS stats, and there were 695 offers for 266 accepts, or roughly 2.6 offers per accept. 153 offers in the V10 for 77 accepts. Assume it's a little lower at Michigan, maybe 2 offers per accept.

If there were 260 total offers, that's 130 people, or just over a third of the class. If the number of offers/accept is more than two that number goes even lower.

Are you sure those stats don't include overlap?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun May 16, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 9:51 pm

Where are you Mich students getting these OCI stats from?

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby starstruck393 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Added up some figures. Approximately 260 offers were extended to michigan students. That doesn't include overlap, which there was a lot of. Blood-fucking-bath.

Around 30 total offers (not accounting for overlap, which was definitely huge in this group) from V10s.


If that is true, that is fucking horrifying.

I am looking at the CLS stats, and there were 695 offers for 266 accepts, or roughly 2.6 offers per accept. 153 offers in the V10 for 77 accepts. Assume it's a little lower at Michigan, maybe 2 offers per accept.

If there were 260 total offers, that's 130 people, or just over a third of the class. If the number of offers/accept is more than two that number goes even lower.

Are you sure those status don't include overlap?


Only 260 total offers? That doesn't seem right at all. Considering there were, what, well over 500 firms at OCI, to think that only half or less made offers? Yea, that just doesn't make sense, unless I'm completely clueless as to how OCI works. That number sounds much more like total students, not total offers...

hubtubrub
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby hubtubrub » Sun May 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Added up some figures. Approximately 260 offers were extended to michigan students. That doesn't include overlap, which there was a lot of. Blood-fucking-bath.

Around 30 total offers (not accounting for overlap, which was definitely huge in this group) from V10s.


If that is true, that is fucking horrifying.

I am looking at the CLS stats, and there were 695 offers for 266 accepts, or roughly 2.6 offers per accept. 153 offers in the V10 for 77 accepts. Assume it's a little lower at Michigan, maybe 2 offers per accept.

If there were 260 total offers, that's 130 people, or just over a third of the class. If the number of offers/accept is more than two that number goes even lower.

Are you sure those stats don't include overlap?


can someone explain what this means to a 0L? I'm sorry I'm stupid... why is mich stat's bad?

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby miamiman » Sun May 16, 2010 10:09 pm

a close friend of mine was a 2L this past year at Michigan. He suggested it was a bloodbath. now we know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273233
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 10:11 pm

It's from the GPA chart. I added up all the offers present in the GPA charts for 2009 that were not there for 2008. 261, excepting the firm that went from 6 to 71, which I counted as 1 - OCS probably just can't type properly.

Pretty sure it explicitly says this is offers extended, NOT accepted.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:13 pm

hubtubrub wrote:can someone explain what this means to a 0L? I'm sorry I'm stupid... why is mich stat's bad?


Someone claimed there were 260 total offers at Michigan OCI. But, they are not evenly distributed - people at the top of the class typically get many offers, whereas people at the bottom often get none.

Someone else tried to estimate overlap by comparing to CLS stats. From this, they estimated 130 students received the 260 offers.

If these stats and estimations are correct, that would mean about 35%-40% of the Michigan class recieved offers through OCI. This would be really bad because that is much, much lower than previous years. If you do not receive offers through OCI, chances are you are effectively shut out of biglaw.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.