Leak your school's OCI data here Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Platinum

Re: Leak your school's OCI data here

Post by rayiner » Fri May 28, 2010 9:36 am

thatsnotmyname wrote:The percentage of people at different level of firms has already been posted:
TrampsLikeU$ wrote:According to Duke career services handout, about 62-65% of the class got SA gigs.

V10: 10-11%, V20: 17-18%, V50: 29-31%, V100: 37-39%.
Compare that data to their placement from C/O 2007:

V10: 18.1%, V50: 44.7%, V100: 55.8%.

Comparing C/O 2007 to C/O 2011:
V10: -42%, V50: -33%, V100: -32%.

Obviously this looks somewhat less bad than it would be comparing the data against C/O 2009, but that was at the absolute height of the bubble, so it's probably not a good reference for "normal".

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Fri May 28, 2010 9:53 pm

this thread is retarded after the first post

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Sat May 29, 2010 7:23 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:this thread is retarded after the first post
:roll:

It's actually not. There are obviously problems with trying to compare different schools, but the numbers are the best information available right now to students making the choice of whether or not to go to law school.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun May 30, 2010 6:24 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:this thread is retarded after the first post

It's actually not. There are obviously problems with trying to compare different schools, but the numbers are the best information available right now to students making the choice of whether or not to go to law school.

It actually is because there are no real numbers in this thread beyond the first post (which has NYU's and CLS's #s). Everything else is some anon posting up some likely BS numbers about Michigan, and 80 people arguing about whether they are accurate or not and trying to speculate how other schools did based on this anon's likely BS numbers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 31, 2010 11:05 pm

UVA's firm list just came out for 2010 OGI (c/o 2012 fall recruitment program). Currently there are 538 places to bid, obviously with many multi-office listings. I'll see if I can puzzle out unique employers.

A press release from boom time said 800+ offices, but I feel like last year there may have been half as many. Can anybody comment?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:28 am

Michigan's just came out too. 20 firms coming for 3L's. Anyone know if this is more than last year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:15 am

Anon's #s not BS, and there's a new GPA chart up released by OCS to cover their asses after this TLS post blew their cover on how fucked the rising 3Ls are. They changed the number of offers to a range, e.g. "Over 50" or "16-27." Amazing that CYA takes precedence over providing information to your students, huh?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:UVA's firm list just came out for 2010 OGI (c/o 2012 fall recruitment program). Currently there are 538 places to bid, obviously with many multi-office listings. I'll see if I can puzzle out unique employers.

A press release from boom time said 800+ offices, but I feel like last year there may have been half as many. Can anybody comment?
My quick skimming through the UVA offices/firms also suggest that a strong majority (80% maybe?) have a cutoff somewhere in the top 10% to top 20% of the class. A few more have something in the top 20% to top 50% range. This would suggest something like 65% to 75% of the class probably isn't getting a job through OGI.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UVA's firm list just came out for 2010 OGI (c/o 2012 fall recruitment program). Currently there are 538 places to bid, obviously with many multi-office listings. I'll see if I can puzzle out unique employers.

My quick skimming through the UVA offices/firms also suggest that a strong majority (80% maybe?) have a cutoff somewhere in the top 10% to top 20% of the class. A few more have something in the top 20% to top 50% range. This would suggest something like 65% to 75% of the class probably isn't getting a job through OGI.
Do 0Ls have access to this list?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

If you're looking on Symplicity at what the firms SAY there cutoff is, you're doing it wrong. I know way too many people who got OGI offers with 3.3s and 3.4s last year for those cutoffs to really mean anything. It's like how every firm list "Law Review" as hiring criterion on NALP when 75% of firms at OGI don't have a shot in hell at getting someone from VLR to come to their firm.

Career Services have the actual "cutoffs" from last year and the last several years combined. You shouldn't make any determinations until you see them.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:01 am

D Brooks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do 0Ls have access to this list?
No, you can only access this list through Career Services and you won't get a login until September/October.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote: No, you can only access this list through Career Services and you won't get a login until September/October.
And you need Symplicity, which they won't have until November, by which time the 2010 OGI information will have been taken down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:08 am

Anyone have Georgetown's data yet? If so, how does it stack up to previous years? Thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:08 am

EIther of you care to copy and paste and then PM it to me? Or I can give you my email and you can send it to me that way?

PLEASE :mrgreen:

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:17 am

D Brooks wrote:EIther of you care to copy and paste and then PM it to me? Or I can give you my email and you can send it to me that way?

PLEASE :mrgreen:

Yea same here with the UVA info...please

frix0803

Bronze

Post by frix0803 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:32 am

Yea, UVA data for me too, please?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have Georgetown's data yet? If so, how does it stack up to previous years? Thank you.
GULC OCI told me they landed "A little more than 50%" in firm jobs from OCI, FWIW. They also said SAs last summer got about 70% offer rates.

They said it was down from about 75% and 90%, respectively.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:

The only firms tha would have that strict of a cutoff for a school like UVA would be one's like Wachtell, Williams and Connolly, Covington DC, Irell, Cravath, etc. There's no way firms like Milibank, Cadawalter, Dewey and Lebeauf, and a host of other "average" firms would have a top 10 percent cutoff for UVA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have Georgetown's data yet? If so, how does it stack up to previous years? Thank you.
GULC OCI told me they landed "A little more than 50%" in firm jobs from OCI, FWIW. They also said SAs last summer got about 70% offer rates.

Assuming those numbers are true, that's not really the end of the world, is it? Obviously it's bad, but perhaps better than expected? And not total Armageddon?

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:18 pm

ITT: People post anonymously for absolutely no reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Most 2Ls (i.e. class of 2011) had trouble getting callbacks - most had 1-2 or none, the school also handed out more summer funding for unpaid internships than ever before, and allowed ADJUNCT profs to hire summer RAs, which is unheard of.

Bottom line, I wouldn't put much stock in those numbers.
Anonymous User wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:31 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:21 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
thesealocust wrote:to people asking to seethe UVA list: it's really a 'nothing to see here' list. Like all other top schools, most big firms are coming. Probably 90 to 95 % of the V100, some federal agencies, etc. Looking at the list is very relevant for those of us about to bid, but not really anything that would have interest or impact to a 0L. The publicly avail lists of where uva grads have gone to work in the past on our career services website would be just as informative.

I will say that MLB, hunton williams, and Cravath are back, which is good overall economy news.
This sounds right to me. There's all this 0L hunger out there for data, specifics, etc., and that's understandable. People want to make informed decisions about where to attend. Thing is, at this point (1) almost every 0L knows where they will be attending, rendering that rationale moot; and (2) even if a 0L did have a decision to make, for instance off a waitlist, the raw OCI attendee list alone won't help 99% of 0Ls. It'll just be a tidal wave of names. Some 0Ls would misinterpret the list (OMG! Wachtell isn't coming!, despite the fact that rating schools on WLRK hiring is like rating them on SCOTUS clerk placement--i.e., a ridiculously stupid criterion), fail to understand that more employers doesn't necessarily mean more hiring, fail to understand that CSOs can game the numbers by reporting Sidley DC+Sidley Chi+Sidley NY as 3 firms attending while other CSOs report the same as 1, or fail to appreciate that the number of screening interviews is more important than the number of firms attending (and that the # of callbacks/offers is still more important than that). There's a lot of nuance to this info, and little real value comes from the lists alone. One would need lots of other collateral info to really compare school x vs. school y.

The only remaining reasons I can see for why 0Ls would want these lists are: (1) fanboyism, aka ammo for the pointless Penn >>> Boalt for biglaw type threads, which are devoid of real content and annoying as helll or (2) datapoints to burnish one's credentials as an "expert 0L" a'la EmmyD or Mallard (who has since mellowed substantially as far as I can tell).
Providing a wealth of information, as always.

Unemployed

Silver

Re: Leak your schools OCI data here

Post by Unemployed » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:04 pm

Renzo wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Columbia
V10 Placement: 19.25%
V25 Placement: 34%
V50 Placement: 49.75%
V75 Placement: 56.5%
V100 Placement: 61.25%
Total EIP Placement (according to OP): 67.5%
Hey now - at least credit the original author/compiler of that data. Because I spent time looking up V designations and counting up offers instead of studying, my chance at all the V's got downgraded.
True. Thanks, and props for wasting your time
I am not the original leaker, btw. I simply counted up the Vault offers and divided by 400, a number which came from the anonymous OP.

On that note, this thread is cited in UCLA Prof. Richard Sander's new paper.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... kowitz.pdf

See page 19, footnote 32.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”