Initial Networking Contact for a 1L SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Initial Networking Contact for a 1L SA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2010 1:45 am

So I'm a 0L, but I want to scout the field, so to speak, with a connection I have from way back when, and get my name out there, so I can hopefully call on him again in December.

My friend's father is a partner in securities litigation at a large regional firm in my hometown. I'm very interested in securities law, M&A, PE and tax, so a summer associate at this firm would be right up my alley. In addition, it's a dream position: pays market for the region, I would be able to spend the summer with all my old friends still in the city and everything. I know 1L SAs are stupidly hard to come by, but humor me.

Should I reach out and network with this guy now? What's appropriate: phone, email, or something more formal? I've known him for years. I worked as a runner at the firm for a very short stint in high school (scheduling conflicts with school meant I had to quit.) But his son and I have been really good friends for years.

What sort of things should I say, or ask? The firm's NALP entry says that they hire 1L SAs, but it also doesn't have numbers posted for 1- or 2Ls hired. It says that two 2Ls were given offers last year, so I figure if they only had 2-3 2L SAs, they probably didn't have ANY 1Ls. Is this something I should ask, how many 1L SAs he knows they've hired before? Should I just express my interest and ask if I can keep in touch with him, and read up on all the cases he's been working on (slash ask his son for the Cliff's Notes) so I can BS him about how I'm interested in yadda-yadda client and their ongoing litigation?

What's TLS's opinion?

underdawg

Silver

Re: Initial Networking Contact for a 1L SA

Post by underdawg » Fri May 07, 2010 1:57 am

no, pretend you are making a social call (i.e. NOT NETWORKING) so that later you can be like omg i can haz jobz? like pretend you're actually interested in the guy, and see if he mentions you working at his firm at all. people really like when people just want to talk to them without obviously wanting anything in return..

also, like every biglaw firm (i'm not sure if you're talking about biglaw here) does M&A and securities work. that would be a dumb ass thing to say. it's like saying, i am interested in your firm bc you have litigation. or i am interested in your firm cause you like do stuff with law. i'm not really sure private equity exists anymore. and people who like tax are weird people who only like tax. NO ONE likes tax AND another field of law (or have any interests outside of tax). anyone talking to you would know you're full of shit

hth
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2010 2:11 am

underdawg wrote:no, pretend you are making a social call (i.e. NOT NETWORKING) so that later you can be like omg i can haz jobz? like pretend you're actually interested in the guy, and see if he mentions you working at his firm at all. people really like when people just want to talk to them without obviously wanting anything in return..

also, like every biglaw firm (i'm not sure if you're talking about biglaw here) does M&A and securities work. that would be a dumb ass thing to say. it's like saying, i am interested in your firm bc you have litigation. or i am interested in your firm cause you like do stuff with law. i'm not really sure private equity exists anymore. and people who like tax are weird people who only like tax. NO ONE likes tax AND another field of law (or have any interests outside of tax). anyone talking to you would know you're full of shit

hth
I wasn't talking about expressing interest in M&A and securities because his firm has it. Only letting him know, and addressing questions to him, because that's what practice he's in.

Do you really think Tax is that big of a single-minded specialty? Granted I haven't taken Tax Law classes, and even when I'd be a 1L applying for an SA, the only classes I'd have under my belt would be four 1L courses. But my degrees are in Accounting and Finance, and I like tax, securities litigation, securities analysis, corporate governance, M&A, PE... Granted, Cost Accounting/Assurance doesn't float my boat.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Fri May 07, 2010 2:15 am

tax is usually a separate group as far as i know. and some tax dude at some interview was all like, 'dude if you were a tax lawyer you would KNOW by now! do you know!??!?!??!'

i actually have no idea. i just think you have plenty of time. in order of planting the seed know, i think the best route is just to get back in touch with the person, maybe let them know you are going to ____ law school. then at some point, maybe say you have just some questions about practice in general. then maybe what firms you think you should apply to, etc. but then again, there's just some brazen networkers out there...

also your grades are more important anyway. if you have a GPA that the firm does not deem worthy, it may not matter who you know
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 07, 2010 2:28 am

Got it. Thanks for all the help!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri May 07, 2010 8:02 am

A) reach out to him now,
B) abandon any hope he's going to help you get a 1L SA, and for god's sake don't ask,
C) realize that he can be an extremely valuable mentor, and that is as good or better than (B).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”