Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby miamiman » Fri May 07, 2010 9:43 am

Matthies,

we have our disagreements -- and Id like to think we maintain them with civility -- but I tend to agree with disco on this one. Your comments and advice in the area of networking are dead-on but I don't think we're seeing a major paradigm shift as it relates to Biglaw. Firms have cut back considerably (just as they hired overzealously in the build-up) but I do think given what I've read on ATL (i.e. salary true-ups, positive signs leading into OCI, etc.) suggest that the horrors we saw this past year were more the symptoms of a bad economy than the signs of a sea change.

I might be wrong and I will admit as much if your forecasts prove more predictive. Until then, I'm placing my faith in the Cravath model.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby Matthies » Fri May 07, 2010 9:49 am

miamiman wrote:Matthies,

we have our disagreements -- and Id like to think we maintain them with civility -- but I tend to agree with disco on this one. Your comments and advice in the area of networking are dead-on but I don't think we're seeing a major paradigm shift as it relates to Biglaw. Firms have cut back considerably (just as they hired overzealously in the build-up) but I do think given what I've read on ATL (i.e. salary true-ups, positive signs leading into OCI, etc.) suggest that the horrors we saw this past year were more the symptoms of a bad economy than the signs of a sea change.

I might be wrong and I will admit as much if your forecasts prove more predictive. Until then, I'm placing my faith in the Cravath model.


You all might be right, I've been wrong once or twice in my life I think. But for the love of god people please at least read the ABA journal, or American lawyer or waht ever local rag you city gets for real legal news and save ATL for its Perez Hilton effect. :D

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri May 07, 2010 10:11 am

disco_barred wrote:The real answer is definitely between the two extremes. You have to keep in mind that for some people being a lawyer (not a big lawyer, not a corporate lawyer, not a big fed lawyer - just a lawyer) is a well thought out dream that IBR makes possible.


I have to weigh in, because IBR is so important to me. I have various ideas about how I will repay my loans, but without the safety net of IBR, I could not have gone to law school at all. Given my numbers, a school willing to give me a full ride (or close to it) would have come with too large a risk of unemployment. (Not marginal biglaw placement; no legal job at all.) I may not need IBR (crazier things have happened), but I could not have made this leap without it. If I do need it, I won't regret using it. This has been the adventure of a lifetime, and so it continues.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby webbylu87 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:18 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I have to weigh in, because IBR is so important to me. I have various ideas about how I will repay my loans, but without the safety net of IBR, I could not have gone to law school at all. Given my numbers, a school willing to give me a full ride (or close to it) would have come with too large a risk of unemployment. (Not marginal biglaw placement; no legal job at all.) I may not need IBR (crazier things have happened), but I could not have made this leap without it. If I do need it, I won't regret using it. This has been the adventure of a lifetime, and so it continues.


+1

This is exactly the boat I'm in. IBR isn't perfect but I've made my peace with the idea of making $50k/year or less. My initial point was that for those who don't have a biglaw or bust mentality (although if it happens, it happens), IBR can free up a lot of opportunities which don't offer the same financial incentive.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby slider » Fri May 07, 2010 10:35 am

This thread is scaring me to death. (0L about to take the plunge)

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby miamiman » Fri May 07, 2010 10:39 am

the extent to which this should scare you hinges on three things:

1. the school you'll be attending
2. the amount of debt you'll be taking on
3. your career goals

motiontodismiss
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri May 07, 2010 11:04 am

disco_barred wrote:Matthies: I have a lot of respect for you, but I've seen no indication of the death of the Cravath model. Plenty of grumbling, but a lot of firms have been rolling back their roll backs, etc... firms seem excited to get back to business, and I feel like you could find doomsayers about the cravath model from every downturn (even if this one has been bigger than most) over the last several decades.

I could be proven wrong, and I'm not calling you full of shit or anything, but I don't see the tea leaves the way you see them.


If the Cravath model hasn't gone away through 5+ recessions, I don't think it's going away now.

sarahd
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby sarahd » Fri May 07, 2010 11:44 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
disco_barred wrote:The real answer is definitely between the two extremes. You have to keep in mind that for some people being a lawyer (not a big lawyer, not a corporate lawyer, not a big fed lawyer - just a lawyer) is a well thought out dream that IBR makes possible.


I have to weigh in, because IBR is so important to me. I have various ideas about how I will repay my loans, but without the safety net of IBR, I could not have gone to law school at all. Given my numbers, a school willing to give me a full ride (or close to it) would have come with too large a risk of unemployment. (Not marginal biglaw placement; no legal job at all.) I may not need IBR (crazier things have happened), but I could not have made this leap without it. If I do need it, I won't regret using it. This has been the adventure of a lifetime, and so it continues.


...
Last edited by sarahd on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby slider » Fri May 07, 2010 12:31 pm

miamiman wrote:the extent to which this should scare you hinges on three things:

1. the school you'll be attending
2. the amount of debt you'll be taking on
3. your career goals


1. T10
2. Sticker
3. Biglaw

Thoughts?

jnorsky
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby jnorsky » Fri May 07, 2010 12:38 pm

slider wrote:
miamiman wrote:the extent to which this should scare you hinges on three things:

1. the school you'll be attending
2. the amount of debt you'll be taking on
3. your career goals


1. T10
2. Sticker
3. Biglaw

Thoughts?


Right on, im pretty scared as well

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby miamiman » Fri May 07, 2010 12:39 pm

slider wrote:
miamiman wrote:the extent to which this should scare you hinges on three things:

1. the school you'll be attending
2. the amount of debt you'll be taking on
3. your career goals


1. T10
2. Sticker
3. Biglaw

Thoughts?


I like your odds. A 50% crack at BigLaw (or conceivably stronger as the market hopefully heals) is still a solid crack at BigLaw.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby slider » Fri May 07, 2010 12:43 pm

miamiman wrote:
I like your odds. A 50% crack at BigLaw (or conceivably stronger as the market hopefully heals) is still a solid crack at BigLaw.


Sounds decent.
I like your odds better :mrgreen:

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:44 pm

1)NU
2)sticker
3)Patent Law, I'm an EE

My hubris will be my downfall.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby Mattalones » Fri May 07, 2010 12:45 pm

miamiman wrote:the extent to which this should scare you hinges on three things:

1. the school you'll be attending
2. the amount of debt you'll be taking on
3. your career goals


1. Top 20 or Top 14 (Still weighing things out)
2. Sticker (either way)
3. BigLaw for a while, Govt. for a much longer

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby miamiman » Fri May 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Desert Fox wrote:1)NU
2)sticker
3)Patent Law, I'm an EE

My hubris will be my downfall.




DF, GTFO. I've told you now at least 3 times you are biglaw SECURE. You're shaking my faith in you.

eldizknee
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby eldizknee » Fri May 07, 2010 12:48 pm

.
Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby miamiman » Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Im not playing Zoltan, boys and girls. Call your local career services for Forecast Fridays.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby stratocophic » Fri May 07, 2010 1:06 pm

miamiman wrote:Im not playing Zoltan, boys and girls. Call your local career services for Forecast Fridays.
Booooo. "Chance me 4 teh Biglaws plz" with 8 different hypos was going to be the next big thing. 40% of posts on the main page would have been begging for affirmation in the form of "Biglaw SECURE."

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 07, 2010 1:09 pm

miamiman wrote:Im not playing Zoltan, boys and girls. Call your local career services for Forecast Fridays.



I'll take over folks, go ahead ask away.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri May 07, 2010 1:10 pm

eldizknee wrote:1. T-22
2. Half tuition scholly
3. JD-required JOB

Fucked?



Did you just say T-22?!? Pwned for being a douche.

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:11 pm

miamiman wrote:Im not playing Zoltan, boys and girls. Call your local career services for Forecast Fridays.



Zoltan? The bad guy from G.I.Joe? :lol:


edit: Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I was thinking Zartan. :lol:

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby miamiman » Fri May 07, 2010 1:13 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
miamiman wrote:Im not playing Zoltan, boys and girls. Call your local career services for Forecast Fridays.



I'll take over folks, go ahead ask away.


I'd say "you're in good hands" but that's self-evident since it's D. H20man taking the reigns here.

eldizknee
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby eldizknee » Fri May 07, 2010 1:20 pm

.
Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Grad Can't find a job...

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:29 pm

miamiman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:1)NU
2)sticker
3)Patent Law, I'm an EE

My hubris will be my downfall.




DF, GTFO. I've told you now at least 3 times you are biglaw SECURE. You're shaking my faith in you.


The problem is I believe it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.