What's the job market going to be like in 2014?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: What's the job market going to be like in 2014?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 10:16 am

and if you don't believe me, we bill around 1850 hours a / year and get paid 50-55k depending on the city, its a terrible industry

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 16, 2010 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a CPA for a big 4 public accounting firm. I graduated in 2008, and my entire plan was to get my CPA, work for 2 years, and go back to law school. After being in corporate accounting, i've had enough. Accounting is just as messed up as the legal market is. Partnership tracks, if you're lucky, (no joke) are 15-16 years (compared to 10-12 in the 90's), and everyone is planning their exit strategy. I am doing a complete 180 and I am going back to school and enrolling in a post-bac program in hopes for medical school. I figure I might as well utilize my ugrad high GPA for something...it really is that bad.

Now, that being said, if I were in your shoes right now, id suggest hiding in academia (or say some bs program like TFA or peace corps) , because I don't see anything changing for at least 5 years. But, if you are set on going to law school, work 2 years, wait for the storm to blow over abit (then you'll be certified for accounting), and go back to law school. Things in the work-force are getting better, but the only thing that'll solve it is time...

DIAF

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sun May 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a CPA for a big 4 public accounting firm. I graduated in 2008, and my entire plan was to get my CPA, work for 2 years, and go back to law school. After being in corporate accounting, i've had enough. Accounting is just as messed up as the legal market is. Partnership tracks, if you're lucky, (no joke) are 15-16 years (compared to 10-12 in the 90's), and everyone is planning their exit strategy. I am doing a complete 180 and I am going back to school and enrolling in a post-bac program in hopes for medical school. I figure I might as well utilize my ugrad high GPA for something...it really is that bad.

Now, that being said, if I were in your shoes right now, id suggest hiding in academia (or say some bs program like TFA or peace corps) , because I don't see anything changing for at least 5 years. But, if you are set on going to law school, work 2 years, wait for the storm to blow over abit (then you'll be certified for accounting), and go back to law school. Things in the work-force are getting better, but the only thing that'll solve it is time...

Accountants with big 4 experience actually have good exit options since most firms need accountants. Not so true for biglaw lawyers.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sun May 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:and if you don't believe me, we bill around 1850 hours a / year and get paid 50-55k depending on the city, its a terrible industry

I don't know what market you are in, but in my market that's a gross overestimation of hours and a gross underestimation of pay.

During the busy season we work as if we are on track for 1850 or 2000 hours, but the rest of the year we do jack shit. Maybe 30 hour weeks. Starting pay for a CA is 65k. Although as an articling student the pay is 50k (as it should be since we are barely qualified to do our own books, let alone a fortune 500)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 16, 2010 3:23 pm

I wish I was joking, we just have 'accelerated' all of our work to keep our billing up, so at least in our office, our hours r crazy bc they've canned everoyone else n staffing is so thin

Return to “Legal Employment”