Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2010 1:55 pm

holydonkey wrote:Why is everyone in this forum anon? I'm not sure if there's one guy posting or 8.

Indeed, some people appear to be abusing the anonymous post function.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
holydonkey wrote:Why is everyone in this forum anon? I'm not sure if there's one guy posting or 8.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

Have to agree

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Honestly, the current market and articles like this are the reason I chose to forego small schollies at T14s in order to take a full ride at a strong regional school. Minimize the maximum regret. Although it doesn't seem that many people on TLS pursue this strategy, I think, given the current economic situation, more and more students would do the same.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu May 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

Have to agree

This has to be H20man

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Thu May 06, 2010 2:22 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Honestly, the current market and articles like this are the reason I chose to forego small schollies at T14s in order to take a full ride at a strong regional school. Minimize the maximum regret. Although it doesn't seem that many people on TLS pursue this strategy, I think, given the current economic situation, more and more students would do the same.

I'm doing this too, although the T14 would have been at sticker. It remains to be seen whether or not it's a good plan. We're probably all screwed, anyway.

Hopalong

Postby Hopalong » Thu May 06, 2010 2:24 pm

wakefield wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:Honestly, the current market and articles like this are the reason I chose to forego small schollies at T14s in order to take a full ride at a strong regional school. Minimize the maximum regret. Although it doesn't seem that many people on TLS pursue this strategy, I think, given the current economic situation, more and more students would do the same.

I'm doing this too, although the T14 would have been at sticker. It remains to be seen whether or not it's a good plan. We're probably all screwed, anyway.

Same here. The more I read, the happier I am with that decision. And I was afraid I'd totally regret it.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Matthies wrote:Jesus H Christ

Way to be a go getter. Didn't get an summer offer, so you send out 50 WOW unsolicited resumes and when you get no response you give up, move back with your parents and sell music online. WTF. Hi I sent 50 resumes out, no jobs, ist all the economys fault guess that means I should give up now. But if they gave you 3k a week you would all the sudden become the go getter you could be but can't seem to be when you need to do something on your own? :roll:

please. can we stop perpetuating this myth that kids who are getting f*cked have done so on account of their own laziness? I have a close friend, a 2L at CLS, who has spammed maybe 200 law offices after getting no-offered at OCI. She has nothing. It's not like the 101st is that much more effective

So, let's re-cap. You throw the first volley by using of all things.... an anecdotal story. Beautiful and sweet too, because she's your friend. It's nice to have friends.

Matthies replies:

Matthies wrote:Oh, ok then its not her fault at all its the schools, ABA, the economy. Two WORST WAYS to find a legal job: OCI and mass mailing unsolicted resumes.

Hmmmmm.... seems to make sense. No real personal shot at your friend there, and you even reply that maybe she should have looked "outside" the city. But, then you come back with this hammer throw:
miamiman wrote:Yes, you're right: one of two worst ways to find a legal job at CLS is OCI.

you, sir, are officially retarded.

Hurray!!!!!!!! Time for the first ad-hom!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!! TLS happy fun time. :D

From there, a little back and forth on CLS OCI.... riveting stuff.... you really held your own. Then this version of how the self masturbatory scene played out in your head:

miamiman wrote:Umm....let's recap

1. I post an anecdote about a friend at CLS who struck out/has been otherwise unsuccessful in landing a job despite considerable effort on her part (rebutting your claim that NU 3L's sending out 50 resumes was grossly inadequate).

yea, turns out she kind of did help fuck herself over.

miamiman wrote:2. You counterclaim with, as I understood it, your friend is an idiot to rely upon OCI/mass resume spamming since they are the two worst ways of getting a job.

Yes, as "you" understood it. Back to that whole self-masturbatory scene in your head.

miamiman wrote:3. I reply with empirical data suggestive that CLS places a clear majority of its kids into jobs via OCI.

Maybe a few anecdotal recollections of TLS discussions past.... but hardly empirical
miamiman wrote:4. You deflect by generalizing the discussion again away from my friend and claim you were never referring specifically to my friend.

Um.... originally he wasn't. You brought up your friend after he commented on the guy in the article. And once again, even you admit, your friend may have fucked up.

miamiman wrote::roll: :roll:

Fuck you and your eye rolls. Chicago is lucky to have a real peach like you.

:shock:

FACE RIP!

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 pm

Hopalong wrote:
wakefield wrote:

Same here. The more I read, the happier I am with that decision. And I was afraid I'd totally regret it.

Haha. It's true; we may all be screwed in the end. But at least we will be screwed with a lot less money on the line! :wink:

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 pm

BTW, that's my post above directed at miamiman. I didn't mean to hit anonymous, so I'm fessing up. If a mod want's to reveal me as the source, I stand behind behind everything I said. See, I'm a "retard" too for hitting the wrong button. I'll live.

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Thu May 06, 2010 2:43 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 2:49 pm

eldizknee wrote:
erniesto wrote:
Those considering law school might want to reconsider, said Allan Tanenbaum, chairman of an American Bar Association commission studying the impact of the economic crisis on the profession. Students take on average law-school debt of about $100,000 and, given the job market, many "have no foreseeable way to pay that back," he said.

You have to love the mother f*cking ABA.

Is there a more worthless professional organization in the world? Instead of putting the onus on the students to wade through the promotional bullshit statistics law schools put out why don't they stop accrediting TTTT's that are contributing to this problem? Or require employment statistics to be more transparent so the average 0L can make a truly informed cost-benefit analysis?

DoJ WTFPWned them for collusion or ant-trust or something a while back, hence the current problems

eldizknee

Postby eldizknee » Thu May 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself, Matlock. :)

texas man

Postby texas man » Thu May 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Hopalong wrote:
wakefield wrote:

Yes.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu May 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:BTW, that's my post above directed at miamiman. I didn't mean to hit anonymous, so I'm fessing up. If a mod want's to reveal me as the source, I stand behind behind everything I said. See, I'm a "retard" too for hitting the wrong button. I'll live.

:P

damn kids

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Seriously... how f*cked are we?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Can't find a job to pay back your loans? F_ck you, pay me.
-Citibank

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Thu May 06, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm going to a t10 next year... do you think i shouldn't go? This is scaring me...

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu May 06, 2010 4:12 pm

hubtubrub wrote:I'm going to a t10 next year... do you think i shouldn't go? This is scaring me...

T10? You'll be fine

hubtubrub

Postby hubtubrub » Thu May 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Matthies wrote:
hubtubrub wrote:I'm going to a t10 next year... do you think i shouldn't go? This is scaring me...

T10? You'll be fine

:(

seriously thoo...

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu May 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not an Anonymous D-Bag.... just me, Mr. Matlock.... a regular D-Bag. If a mod can change it to me, go for it.

miamiman wrote:
Matthies wrote:Jesus H Christ

Way to be a go getter. Didn't get an summer offer, so you send out 50 WOW unsolicited resumes and when you get no response you give up, move back with your parents and sell music online. WTF. Hi I sent 50 resumes out, no jobs, ist all the economys fault guess that means I should give up now. But if they gave you 3k a week you would all the sudden become the go getter you could be but can't seem to be when you need to do something on your own? :roll:

please. can we stop perpetuating this myth that kids who are getting f*cked have done so on account of their own laziness? I have a close friend, a 2L at CLS, who has spammed maybe 200 law offices after getting no-offered at OCI. She has nothing. It's not like the 101st is that much more effective

So, let's re-cap. You throw the first volley by using of all things.... an anecdotal story. Beautiful and sweet too, because she's your friend. It's nice to have friends.

Matthies replies:

Matthies wrote:Oh, ok then its not her fault at all its the schools, ABA, the economy. Two WORST WAYS to find a legal job: OCI and mass mailing unsolicted resumes.

Hmmmmm.... seems to make sense. No real personal shot at your friend there, and you even reply that maybe she should have looked "outside" the city. But, then you come back with this hammer throw:
miamiman wrote:Yes, you're right: one of two worst ways to find a legal job at CLS is OCI.

you, sir, are officially retarded.

Hurray!!!!!!!! Time for the first ad-hom!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!! TLS happy fun time. :D

From there, a little back and forth on CLS OCI.... riveting stuff.... you really held your own. Then this version of how the self masturbatory scene played out in your head:

miamiman wrote:Umm....let's recap

1. I post an anecdote about a friend at CLS who struck out/has been otherwise unsuccessful in landing a job despite considerable effort on her part (rebutting your claim that NU 3L's sending out 50 resumes was grossly inadequate).

yea, turns out she kind of did help fuck herself over.

miamiman wrote:2. You counterclaim with, as I understood it, your friend is an idiot to rely upon OCI/mass resume spamming since they are the two worst ways of getting a job.

Yes, as "you" understood it. Back to that whole self-masturbatory scene in your head.

miamiman wrote:3. I reply with empirical data suggestive that CLS places a clear majority of its kids into jobs via OCI.

Maybe a few anecdotal recollections of TLS discussions past.... but hardly empirical
miamiman wrote:4. You deflect by generalizing the discussion again away from my friend and claim you were never referring specifically to my friend.

Um.... originally he wasn't. You brought up your friend after he commented on the guy in the article. And once again, even you admit, your friend may have fucked up.

miamiman wrote::roll: :roll:

Fuck you and your eye rolls. Chicago is lucky to have a real peach like you.

Oh Hey There, Matlock-posting-as-Anonymous. Thanks for weighing in and contributing! Sorry if I didn't have the chance to address your thoughtful, would-be anonymous remarks.

Let me itemize my response as you've so kindly done for me:

1) You tell me I'm resorting to ad hom, take issue with ad hom , but then default to calling my first argument self-masturbatory. Specifically, I was addressing Matthie's claim that OCI and mass-mailing Resumes were the "two worst " means of obtaining a job, a claim which has already been refuted by myself and others on this board. If you would like to offer substantive support for Matthie's assertion or issue any other objection besides your would-be stab at humor masquerading as an argument (i.e my argument as "self-masturbatory"), I welcome it. Otherwise, please shut the f*ck up and grow a pair.

2) Relating to (1), you critique the manner in which I interpreted Matthie's statement, citing continued "self-masturbation". Original as reprinted verbatim:

Apparently, my summation of Matthie's argument, namely the characterization of my friend's job search (i.e. relying upon OCI and mass-mailing) as idiotic (given, as Matthies noted, that she employed the two worst means of obtaining a law job) was also self-masturbatory. Perhaps this is just your favorite word of the day or some sort of hint about what you do in your spare time (read: all the time), but I don't really see any problem with my summation. Nor apparently does Matthies but far be it from you gloss over the facts and carry-on like a moron.

3) You issue reservations about my citation of empirical data. For the record, asshole, I suggest you read:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=115514

No anecdote, no fluffy qualitative BS. Just cold, hard facts represented in the form of numbers. In case you're lazy (which you seem to be) and/or math retarded (a distinct possibility) and don't care to go to the link, you will see that they are the results of the ~400 participants of Columbia's 2009 OCI.

4) Matthie's deflection has absolutely nothing to do with the merits of my friend's job search. But nice try to again distract and deflect.

And yes, Chicago is lucky to have me douchebag.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu May 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Apparently Matlock and Matthies are the same person. Rather than edit my post for small stylistic changes, I'll keep it as is. Matthies still looks like a vindictive idiot any way you cut it.

Hopalong

Postby Hopalong » Thu May 06, 2010 4:18 pm

hubtubrub wrote:
Matthies wrote:

T10? You'll be fine

:(

seriously thoo...

Don't be scared unless that makes you study harder. Just work hard your first year. You'll be alright.

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Thu May 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Hopalong wrote:
Don't be scared unless that makes you study harder. Just work hard your first year. You'll be alright.

BUT, If everyone/majority of us work harder...then what? :?

Return to “Legal Employment”