Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby Matthies » Fri May 07, 2010 6:00 pm

as stars burn wrote:I'm so sick and tired of seeing this article. Isn't this like the 5th thread with this one article?


Its all we got till the one about the Yale 3L who sent 1/2 of a resume by fax to the the president for consideration for the next supreme court justuce and when she got no offer in 12 mins gave up and opened a hot dog stand in Albany becuase her degree wasw worthless

hithere
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby hithere » Fri May 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Matthies wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I'm so sick and tired of seeing this article. Isn't this like the 5th thread with this one article?


Its all we got till the one about the Yale 3L who sent 1/2 of a resume by fax to the the president for consideration for the next supreme court justuce and when she got no offer in 12 mins gave up and opened a hot dog stand in Albany becuase her degree wasw worthless



Don't forget about this:

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby Matthies » Fri May 07, 2010 6:44 pm

hithere wrote:
Matthies wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I'm so sick and tired of seeing this article. Isn't this like the 5th thread with this one article?


Its all we got till the one about the Yale 3L who sent 1/2 of a resume by fax to the the president for consideration for the next supreme court justuce and when she got no offer in 12 mins gave up and opened a hot dog stand in Albany becuase her degree wasw worthless



Don't forget about this:

--LinkRemoved--


everyones a victim

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri May 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Matthies wrote:
hithere wrote:
Matthies wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I'm so sick and tired of seeing this article. Isn't this like the 5th thread with this one article?


Its all we got till the one about the Yale 3L who sent 1/2 of a resume by fax to the the president for consideration for the next supreme court justuce and when she got no offer in 12 mins gave up and opened a hot dog stand in Albany becuase her degree wasw worthless



Don't forget about this:

--LinkRemoved--


everyones a victim


Dude, I'm taking your advice. I highly suspect it will work, lol. I've noticed a lot of people more interested in the fact that I may be of some help instead of where I am going to attend school.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby Matthies » Fri May 07, 2010 8:32 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:Dude, I'm taking your advice. I highly suspect it will work, lol. I've noticed a lot of people more interested in the fact that I may be of some help instead of where I am going to attend school.



I was talking about the link you posted, and the links he has, all good advice on how to bitch alot about the fact you don't have a job :)

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri May 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Matthies wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:Dude, I'm taking your advice. I highly suspect it will work, lol. I've noticed a lot of people more interested in the fact that I may be of some help instead of where I am going to attend school.



I was talking about the link you posted, and the links he has, all good advice on how to bitch alot about the fact you don't have a job :)



I meant the other advice about getting my ass out there and looking instead of complaining and waiting for a job to land. That shit is golden. Complaining, I can already do..... :P

It's just hard to believe that there are "no jobs out there". A thing that might be changing, if it hasn't changed already, is how a job vacancy is advertised. It might appear to be less risky to hire someone through word-of-mouth than to hire a complete stranger.

t14underground
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 am

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby t14underground » Sun May 09, 2010 4:42 pm

You got to be kidding me. 50 resumes!!! I bet you they were all large NALP firms too. I can't believe they published this guy's story. If I don't find work by next fall I'm sending them my story (see: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=109486). My story is 9 billion times worse than this guy at Northwestern considering I applied to roughly 1500 employers (including volunteer work) and got dinged everywhere but a shitlaw practice that pays their 1st year associates $37K /year. I bet there were some times where I sent out more than 50 resumes in an hour during my search..

Okay, if you don't want to read the link, here's a quick blurb:

t14underground wrote:....I am a t10 transfer student and transferred from a t3 .... After my first year I was in the top 5 students in my class at my t3 (top 2%). I pulled straight As my entire first year (i.e. As and A-s). I had several book awards (highest grade in the class) in several classes, including LRW both semesters. I also had the best memo/brief both semesters ....

Comparing my current GPA at my t10 to the graduating class last year, I am roughly at top 5% of my class currently at my t10.

.....

During the fall after the OCI list was released I applied to every single firm on NALP in one major market (either NYC, LA, or Chicago – I’m trying to retain some anonymity here), and applied to every single NALP firm in 3 other states, including the one my school is in. Additionally, I applied to every firm that was over the size of 10 attorneys in that same major market. Then I applied to every single federal government agency that there is, as well as a few state agencies in NY/LA/Chicago. I ended up a total of 1 phone screening interview from a firm in the state my school is in, and 1 other screening interview. Besides that, I was rejected from every single employer I applied to. Then later, I was rejected by every single firm I interviewed with at OCI as well as those 2 firms I interviewed with from outside of OCI. Altogether, I am sure I applied to over 500 legal employers. I also want to note that my resume and cover letter were read thoroughly and “cleaned up” as much as possible by the CSO (I had them read it 3 times), so there wasn’t just some typo or other mistakes on there – both of those were literally as clean at they could be....

After spring grades came out (had straight As here at my t10 – around top 5%), I applied pretty heavily again. I should note that grades didn’t come out until February) I applied to:

-A total of 120 judges for judicial internships (including all federal judges in those locations, and the state supreme court, and state court of appeals in the state I am in),

-Every single corporate in-house position listed on our board for any state (around 50 listings),

-I reapplied to every 10+ law firm in NY/LA/Chicago that I previously applied to (including all shitlaw practices),

-Every single law firm over 2 attorneys in NY/LA/Chicago (including all shitlaw practices),

-Every single 10+ law firm in 2 other states (including the one my school is in) (including all shitlaw practices), and

- 10 public defender’s offices

Altogether, I am sure I applied to around 1500 legal employers in the spring. I ended up getting a total of 7 interviews out of the judges I applied to, 1 interview with one of the PDs offices, 1 offer from the local PDs office, and 1 law firm interview in the state my school is in. Besides that, I received rejection letters from every single place I applied to (you should have just seen my mail & email boxes for the first couple weeks after applying to all these places).

The law firm that I got an interview from practices in personal injury/medical malpractice and is approximately a size of 20 attorneys. I ended up interviewing with the law firm first out of everything and received an offer via email by the time I came home from the interview. I talked to the CSO and they told me that I should accept the offer and just withdraw elsewhere since it would be my best bet if I want to work at some firm post-graduation, and therefore, I did just that. I fucking hate personal injury and have absolutely no desire to practice in this area of law (and really don’t want to be in this state either – I just transferred here with the thought it was “national” in placement and would allow me to find work in my home state of NY/CA/IL). Additionally, I am being compensated the same this summer as a first-year associate at this firm, which comes out to $37K /year!! The sad thing about this is that I don’t doubt for a second that I would not have gotten this summer associateship had I not transferred and had the grades I do at my current school, and the grades I did in LRW last year.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby d34d9823 » Sun May 09, 2010 4:46 pm

t14underground wrote:You got to be kidding me. 50 resumes!!!


Seriously, I read this story and was like "what the hell, have you EVER tried to get a real job before?" Apparently T14 = BigLaw on a platter to some of these kids.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby General Tso » Sun May 09, 2010 6:52 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
t14underground wrote:You got to be kidding me. 50 resumes!!!


Seriously, I read this story and was like "what the hell, have you EVER tried to get a real job before?" Apparently T14 = BigLaw on a platter to some of these kids.


Took me 250-300 resumes to land my summer job. Unsolicited resumes are useless. Responding to job listings on Simplicity is a better approach, but any time you get an interview that way you can expect to face 6-10 competitors, so your odds are

(1) whatever % chance of getting the interview (in my experience, I sent probably 50 resumes via Simplicity and got 5 interviews, so lets just say around 10%).

(2) Now reduce by the 15-20% chance that, if you DO land the interview, you will be selected for the job.

I hope this shows why Matthies and others who advise networking are correct. Think about it - you get the right guy in the right place at the right time on your side, and you have a job waiting for you. No need to beat out 9 or 10 other interviewees.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon May 10, 2010 2:12 pm

t14underground wrote:You got to be kidding me. 50 resumes!!! I bet you they were all large NALP firms too. I can't believe they published this guy's story. If I don't find work by next fall I'm sending them my story (see: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=109486). My story is 9 billion times worse than this guy at Northwestern considering I applied to roughly 1500 employers (including volunteer work) and got dinged everywhere but a shitlaw practice that pays their 1st year associates $37K /year. I bet there were some times where I sent out more than 50 resumes in an hour during my search..

Okay, if you don't want to read the link, here's a quick blurb:

t14underground wrote:....I am a t10 transfer student and transferred from a t3 .... After my first year I was in the top 5 students in my class at my t3 (top 2%). I pulled straight As my entire first year (i.e. As and A-s). I had several book awards (highest grade in the class) in several classes, including LRW both semesters. I also had the best memo/brief both semesters ....

Comparing my current GPA at my t10 to the graduating class last year, I am roughly at top 5% of my class currently at my t10.

.....

During the fall after the OCI list was released I applied to every single firm on NALP in one major market (either NYC, LA, or Chicago – I’m trying to retain some anonymity here), and applied to every single NALP firm in 3 other states, including the one my school is in. Additionally, I applied to every firm that was over the size of 10 attorneys in that same major market. Then I applied to every single federal government agency that there is, as well as a few state agencies in NY/LA/Chicago. I ended up a total of 1 phone screening interview from a firm in the state my school is in, and 1 other screening interview. Besides that, I was rejected from every single employer I applied to. Then later, I was rejected by every single firm I interviewed with at OCI as well as those 2 firms I interviewed with from outside of OCI. Altogether, I am sure I applied to over 500 legal employers. I also want to note that my resume and cover letter were read thoroughly and “cleaned up” as much as possible by the CSO (I had them read it 3 times), so there wasn’t just some typo or other mistakes on there – both of those were literally as clean at they could be....

After spring grades came out (had straight As here at my t10 – around top 5%), I applied pretty heavily again. I should note that grades didn’t come out until February) I applied to:

-A total of 120 judges for judicial internships (including all federal judges in those locations, and the state supreme court, and state court of appeals in the state I am in),

-Every single corporate in-house position listed on our board for any state (around 50 listings),

-I reapplied to every 10+ law firm in NY/LA/Chicago that I previously applied to (including all shitlaw practices),

-Every single law firm over 2 attorneys in NY/LA/Chicago (including all shitlaw practices),

-Every single 10+ law firm in 2 other states (including the one my school is in) (including all shitlaw practices), and

- 10 public defender’s offices

Altogether, I am sure I applied to around 1500 legal employers in the spring. I ended up getting a total of 7 interviews out of the judges I applied to, 1 interview with one of the PDs offices, 1 offer from the local PDs office, and 1 law firm interview in the state my school is in. Besides that, I received rejection letters from every single place I applied to (you should have just seen my mail & email boxes for the first couple weeks after applying to all these places).

The law firm that I got an interview from practices in personal injury/medical malpractice and is approximately a size of 20 attorneys. I ended up interviewing with the law firm first out of everything and received an offer via email by the time I came home from the interview. I talked to the CSO and they told me that I should accept the offer and just withdraw elsewhere since it would be my best bet if I want to work at some firm post-graduation, and therefore, I did just that. I fucking hate personal injury and have absolutely no desire to practice in this area of law (and really don’t want to be in this state either – I just transferred here with the thought it was “national” in placement and would allow me to find work in my home state of NY/CA/IL). Additionally, I am being compensated the same this summer as a first-year associate at this firm, which comes out to $37K /year!! The sad thing about this is that I don’t doubt for a second that I would not have gotten this summer associateship had I not transferred and had the grades I do at my current school, and the grades I did in LRW last year.

so you have the potential to graduate in the top 10% of a top10 school and you will be making 37k in personal injury law? what?

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby General Tso » Mon May 10, 2010 2:47 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so you have the potential to graduate in the top 10% of a top10 school and you will be making 37k in personal injury law? what?


people like t14underground are in a tough position. the big firms who would have hired someone like him in the past are not hiring. the small firms he/she might turn to next are probably skeptical of hiring someone like them. they don't want to train him for 2 years only to see him try to bolt for something better as soon as the economy picks up. sounds like judge or public interest/gov't are their only realistic options.

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby CordeliusX » Mon May 10, 2010 2:52 pm

I think there is a common misconception -especially for grads who have gone to LS straight from UG, i.e. never been in the "real world"- that a good degree opens doors and you can sit there and people are fighting for YOU.

I can attest for myself and some friends. We went to pretty good UGs and coming out and trying to find a job a few years ago was hell, even before the Great Recession.

There is a cultural myth, probably a remnant of the job market 50 years ago, that earning a college degree from a quality place = employers will beat down your door to get you.

Anyone else experience this? :mrgreen:

EDIT: with T14Underground's story - is the current situation that only HYS grads are safe for biglaw? Is the majority of T14 grads earning 40K? I mean - that probably barely covers loan payments. :shock: :?
Last edited by CordeliusX on Mon May 10, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby Matthies » Mon May 10, 2010 2:57 pm

CordeliusX wrote:I think there is a common misconception -especially for grads who have gone to LS straight from UG, i.e. never been in the "real world"- that a good degree opens doors and you can sit there and people are fighting for YOU.

I can attest for myself and some friends. We went to pretty good UGs and coming out and trying to find a job a few years ago was hell, even before the Great Recession.

There is a cultural myth, probably a remnant of the job market 50 years ago, that earning a college degree from a quality place = employers will beat down your door to get you.

Anyone else experience this? :mrgreen:


What? No, don't you know that all T14 grads ride a unicorn from graduation on a trail of rose petals through candy land to their 160k job? :P

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby General Tso » Mon May 10, 2010 2:57 pm

CordeliusX wrote:I think there is a common misconception -especially for grads who have gone to LS straight from UG, i.e. never been in the "real world"- that a good degree opens doors and you can sit there and people are fighting for YOU.

I can attest for myself and some friends. We went to pretty good UGs and coming out and trying to find a job a few years ago was hell, even before the Great Recession.

There is a cultural myth, probably a remnant of the job market 50 years ago, that earning a college degree from a quality place = employers will beat down your door to get you.

Anyone else experience this? :mrgreen:


Of course...the job market is terrible for recent graduates. I blame it on those damn boomers. Won't they just retire already?

Action Jackson
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 am

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby Action Jackson » Thu May 13, 2010 2:56 pm

CordeliusX wrote:I think there is a common misconception -especially for grads who have gone to LS straight from UG, i.e. never been in the "real world"- that a good degree opens doors and you can sit there and people are fighting for YOU.


There seems to be a common misconception here that this wasn't the case for T14 grads. That is, it used to be that if you graduated from a T14 employers WERE fighting for you. Many people saw that situation and decided law school was a good use of their time/money based on that, and now that the market has been up-ended they're SOL.

The simple fact is some people went into law school not thinking about having to market the hell out of themselves, or even wanting too. They may have chosen the legal path for the very reason that they didn't want to rely on crazy networking to get them a job and saw a law degree from a top school as a way of doing that.

STOP BLAMING THE VICTIMS OF THIS RECESSION. A lot of people have been majorly f*ed by this market, especially the ones that never saw this coming (like the NU guy in the story). People are now doing their best to mitigate the damage, and unfortunately, some people are better at that than others.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby d34d9823 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Action Jackson wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:I think there is a common misconception -especially for grads who have gone to LS straight from UG, i.e. never been in the "real world"- that a good degree opens doors and you can sit there and people are fighting for YOU.


There seems to be a common misconception here that this wasn't the case for T14 grads. That is, it used to be that if you graduated from a T14 employers WERE fighting for you. Many people saw that situation and decided law school was a good use of their time/money based on that, and now that the market has been up-ended they're SOL.

The simple fact is some people went into law school not thinking about having to market the hell out of themselves, or even wanting too. They may have chosen the legal path for the very reason that they didn't want to rely on crazy networking to get them a job and saw a law degree from a top school as a way of doing that.

STOP BLAMING THE VICTIMS OF THIS RECESSION. A lot of people have been majorly f*ed by this market, especially the ones that never saw this coming (like the NU guy in the story). People are now doing their best to mitigate the damage, and unfortunately, some people are better at that than others.


Wait, so we're supposed to think sitting on your ass is commendable just because you used to be able to get away with it?

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby webbylu87 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:55 pm

One of the only upsides I can see for certain for those starting LS next year is that at least they won't be blindsided by the shitty economy halfway through LS like the Class of 2010 and 2011 were. At the very least you can go into it with a realistic picture of what it'll take for you to get a job at the end.

But perhaps that's just my 0L naiveté

SummerBrees
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:59 am

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby SummerBrees » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

texas man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What the article fails to address is how the dearth of big firm jobs has created a domino effect where all other legal jobs (smaller law firm, federal/state government or non-profit legal jobs) are much more difficult to get. The fact that the economy is down has also made these jobs much less plentiful than ever before, and that is compounding the problem.

It isn't just the lack of high paying jobs at corporate law firms that law graduates are upset about, it's the lack of jobs available that offer a livable salary and health insurance. $80,000 per year doesn't sound too bad at all but those jobs are few and far between. The reality is that finding a stable job with a reputable employer that pays even $40,000-50,000 is very difficult right now, even if you are coming from a good school. Many employers, particularly smaller law firms, have no problem offering new grads very low pay with no health insurance due to the glut of unemployed law graduates on the market.


The unemployed grads are taking these shit jobs because they have all been bamboozled by the corporate machine that is law school. "It's only 150k, it's an investment"

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby d34d9823 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 pm

webbylu87 wrote:One of the only upsides I can see for certain for those starting LS next year is that at least they won't be blindsided by the shitty economy halfway through LS like the Class of 2010 and 2011 were. At the very least you can go into it with a realistic picture of what it'll take for you to get a job at the end.

But perhaps that's just my 0L naiveté


Based on past economic downturns, there's a good chance class of '13 and on will be in a solid to great economy when they graduate. These things generally only last about 2 years. Popular rhetoric generally over-represents what is happening right now. (Which isn't super surprising, I guess)

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby webbylu87 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Based on past economic downturns, there's a good chance class of '13 and on will be in a solid to great economy when they graduate. These things generally only last about 2 years. Popular rhetoric generally over-represents what is happening right now. (Which isn't super surprising, I guess)


I certainly hope you're right and I can't help but think the Class of 2013 will see better job prospects....but I'm planning like we won't. Just in case.

nycparalegal
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:26 am

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby nycparalegal » Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:One of the only upsides I can see for certain for those starting LS next year is that at least they won't be blindsided by the shitty economy halfway through LS like the Class of 2010 and 2011 were. At the very least you can go into it with a realistic picture of what it'll take for you to get a job at the end.

But perhaps that's just my 0L naiveté


Based on past economic downturns, there's a good chance class of '13 and on will be in a solid to great economy when they graduate. These things generally only last about 2 years. Popular rhetoric generally over-represents what is happening right now. (Which isn't super surprising, I guess)


I disagree with you. 23% of Americans are in negative equity on their mortgages. The bank failures haven't stopped. Consumer demand hasn't really picked up and its hard for it to pick up with everyone is leveraged to their eyeballs. The bank balance sheets are still as toxic as they were back in 2007-2008, except now the risk has been transfered from the private to the public sector.

The unemployment rate will probably stay at the same rate for a long while because the jobs that used to exist have either been cut or shipped overseas.

Worker productivity has stayed high during the recession but this is more of the case of workers afraid of getting fired then companies doing things better.

I just don't see how you can say that in 3 years things will be that much better, especially because plenty of states are on the verge of bankruptcy.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 13, 2010 4:16 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:One of the only upsides I can see for certain for those starting LS next year is that at least they won't be blindsided by the shitty economy halfway through LS like the Class of 2010 and 2011 were. At the very least you can go into it with a realistic picture of what it'll take for you to get a job at the end.

But perhaps that's just my 0L naiveté


Based on past economic downturns, there's a good chance class of '13 and on will be in a solid to great economy when they graduate. These things generally only last about 2 years. Popular rhetoric generally over-represents what is happening right now. (Which isn't super surprising, I guess)


No, no, and no.

There is no guarantee that the economy will be better. Will things likely be better? Yes, somewhat. But we could very easily have some "bumps" in the road on the way to recovery.

Also, keep in mind that even if the economy overall is better, that doesn't mean the legal hiring market will be. There hiring market will likely lag behind the general economy, for a whole lot of reasons. First of all, firms don't want to get egg on their faces again. They aren't going to hire everyone and their mother like they used to, because they don't want to have to revoke offers and defer people. It leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth. Second, the recent classes of jobless law grads are going to create a backlog that could suck up at least some of the jobs (probably not biglaw, but definitely jobs lower on the totem pole). There are a LOT of very talented, very smart people with great pedigrees who are currently jobless. And finally, it is very likely that firms will try to go with a leaner model going forward. And don't just take TLS posters word on it... people in high places (biglaw hiring partners, NALP high-ups, etc.) are saying this downturn in hiring could be permanent, and firms aren't ever going to hire like they were 5-6 years ago.

So while I certainly hope your optimistic predictions are correct, don't bank on it.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 13, 2010 4:18 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:One of the only upsides I can see for certain for those starting LS next year is that at least they won't be blindsided by the shitty economy halfway through LS like the Class of 2010 and 2011 were. At the very least you can go into it with a realistic picture of what it'll take for you to get a job at the end.

But perhaps that's just my 0L naiveté


Based on past economic downturns, there's a good chance class of '13 and on will be in a solid to great economy when they graduate. These things generally only last about 2 years. Popular rhetoric generally over-represents what is happening right now. (Which isn't super surprising, I guess)


I disagree with you. 23% of Americans are in negative equity on their mortgages. The bank failures haven't stopped. Consumer demand hasn't really picked up and its hard for it to pick up with everyone is leveraged to their eyeballs. The bank balance sheets are still as toxic as they were back in 2007-2008, except now the risk has been transfered from the private to the public sector.

The unemployment rate will probably stay at the same rate for a long while because the jobs that used to exist have either been cut or shipped overseas.

Worker productivity has stayed high during the recession but this is more of the case of workers afraid of getting fired then companies doing things better.

I just don't see how you can say that in 3 years things will be that much better, especially because plenty of states are on the verge of bankruptcy.


Also keep in mind that most of us biglaw c/o 2013 hopefuls aren't going to be waiting 3 years for an economic rebound. We're going to be doing OCI in less than a year and a half. Our OCI is in the fall of 2011.

User avatar
webbylu87
Posts: 659
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby webbylu87 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also keep in mind that most of us biglaw c/o 2013 hopefuls aren't going to be waiting 3 years for an economic rebound. We're going to be doing OCI in less than a year and a half. Our OCI is in the fall of 2011.


Very true. But I certainly won't be going into OCI expecting to find a job through it. Although that'd be nice. I'd like to think at least most people will wisen up to the idea that OCI isn't the way to find a job anymore (for the most part).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 13, 2010 4:26 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Also keep in mind that most of us biglaw c/o 2013 hopefuls aren't going to be waiting 3 years for an economic rebound. We're going to be doing OCI in less than a year and a half. Our OCI is in the fall of 2011.


Very true. But I certainly won't be going into OCI expecting to find a job through it. Although that'd be nice. I'd like to think at least most people will wisen up to the idea that OCI isn't the way to find a job anymore (for the most part).


Good mindset. I'm just trying to stamp out some of this unwarranted optimism about what things will be like for the c/o 2013. I do think things will be better, but it ain't gonna be like it used to.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.