Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: Law Graduates Face a Tough Job Market - WSJ.com

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu May 06, 2010 10:21 am

:? first I've heard of this.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu May 06, 2010 10:22 am

D. H2Oman wrote::? first I've heard of this.
not surprised given you're going to be PT at GULC.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu May 06, 2010 10:25 am

miamiman wrote:
miami man, are you related to texas man?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu May 06, 2010 10:28 am

siblings, actually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 am

miamiman wrote:
Waterman is going to pwn you.

And you mom.

hth.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 am

Thomas Reddy...what were you thinking?

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Thu May 06, 2010 10:31 am

Hmm, interestingly the take a year off and retake crowd who would usually be correct may have fucked some people over if it meant they didn't graduate before the recession hit. Would it have better to go to a T3 like Albany before the recession than a t1 like Brooklyn as a member of the class of 2011?

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Thu May 06, 2010 10:31 am

"Thomas Reddy, a second-year student at Brooklyn Law School, hasn't landed a summer internship yet after sending resumes to more than 50 law firms. He is taking on about $70,000 of debt each year of the three-year program to earn his degree, but said he may be fortunate to make $80,000 a year in a lawyer job after graduating. "That is less than what I was making before I went to law school," he said. "

^^^This guy must have really, really, really, really hated his job before law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 am

GordonBombay wrote:Thomas Reddy...what were you thinking?

lol'd

Seriously making over 80k before law school and he's taking on 210K of debt for a JD from Brooklyn?!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu May 06, 2010 10:33 am

The University of Texas School of Law, long regarded as among the nation's top 20, estimates the employment rate for 2010 graduates is down about 10% to 15% from last year.
That's interesting because the most recent employment stats for texas have employment at 98.1%. So this means when US News comes out in a year or two, we should except your employment rate to be 83%, right Texas?

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 am

holydonkey wrote:
The University of Texas School of Law, long regarded as among the nation's top 20, estimates the employment rate for 2010 graduates is down about 10% to 15% from last year.
That's interesting because the most recent employment stats for texas have employment at 98.1%. So this means when US News comes out in a year or two, we should except your employment rate to be 83%, right Texas?
No I think your mistaken. They are going to say that 98% is down from their normal employment rate of 113%.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu May 06, 2010 10:38 am

mistergoft wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Waterman is going to pwn you.

And you mom.

hth.

waterman and I are on congenial terms. granted I did derail his fledgling admissions consulting service before it even had the chance to get off the ground, but I think he recognizes my objections were fairly spot-on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yabbadabbado

Bronze

Post by yabbadabbado » Thu May 06, 2010 10:50 am

What the article fails to address is how the dearth of big firm jobs has created a domino effect where all other legal jobs (smaller law firm, federal/state government or non-profit legal jobs) are much more difficult to get. The fact that the economy is down has also made these jobs much less plentiful than ever before, and that is compounding the problem.

It isn't just the lack of high paying jobs at corporate law firms that law graduates are upset about, it's the lack of jobs available that offer a livable salary and health insurance. $80,000 per year doesn't sound too bad at all but those jobs are few and far between. The reality is that finding a stable job with a reputable employer that pays even $40,000-50,000 is very difficult right now, even if you are coming from a good school. Many employers, particularly smaller law firms, have no problem offering new grads very low pay with no health insurance due to the glut of unemployed law graduates on the market.

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Thu May 06, 2010 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:What the article fails to address is how the dearth of big firm jobs has created a domino effect where all other legal jobs (smaller law firm, federal/state government or non-profit legal jobs) are much more difficult to get. The fact that the economy is down has also made these jobs much less plentiful than ever before, and that is compounding the problem.

It isn't just the lack of high paying jobs at corporate law firms that law graduates are upset about, it's the lack of jobs available that offer a livable salary and health insurance. $80,000 per year doesn't sound too bad at all but those jobs are few and far between. The reality is that finding a stable job with a reputable employer that pays even $40,000-50,000 is very difficult right now, even if you are coming from a good school. Many employers, particularly smaller law firms, have no problem offering new grads very low pay with no health insurance due to the glut of unemployed law graduates on the market.
+1

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What the article fails to address is how the dearth of big firm jobs has created a domino effect where all other legal jobs (smaller law firm, federal/state government or non-profit legal jobs) are much more difficult to get. The fact that the economy is down has also made these jobs much less plentiful than ever before, and that is compounding the problem.

+1
+2

The Invisible Man

New

Post by The Invisible Man » Thu May 06, 2010 11:01 am

The recession's hurting everyone, not just the legal market particularly.

If you're going to law school for a get-rich-quick scheme, you're sorely mistaken and will be disappointed.

If you're going to law school because you're genuinely interested in law or have career-specific goals that require a JD, then you should go anyways.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Thu May 06, 2010 11:09 am

The Invisible Man wrote: If you're going to law school for a get-rich-quick scheme, you're sorely mistaken and will be disappointed.

If you're going to law school because you're genuinely interested in law or have career-specific goals that require a JD, then you should go anyways.
And if you want to get a job when you graduate (in the legal field) it is a lot harder than it was 3 years ago. Now, the variable of debt at graduation is elevated in importance.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Thu May 06, 2010 11:19 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:Thomas Reddy...what were you thinking?

lol'd

Seriously making over 80k before law school and he's taking on 210K of debt for a JD from Brooklyn?!
Seriously. That guy is nuts. I'm walking away from a job in that salary range to pay sticker at UVA and anytime someone I haven't seen in awhile asks me what I'm up to I always preface it with "Well, I must be completely out of my mind but I'm...."

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu May 06, 2010 11:20 am

Jesus H Christ
So Mr. Ronisky, a 25-year-old student at Chicago's Northwestern University School of Law, spent the fall sending 50 resumes to law firms and government agencies, to no avail. Now, just days shy of graduation and with $150,000 of student loans, he plans to move back to his parents' home in San Diego and sell music and movies online.
"I wanted to use my education," he said. "But times change."

Way to be a go getter. Didn't get an summer offer, so you send out 50 WOW unsolicited resumes and when you get no response you give up, move back with your parents and sell music online. WTF. Hi I sent 50 resumes out, no jobs, ist all the economys fault guess that means I should give up now. But if they gave you 3k a week you would all the sudden become the go getter you could be but can't seem to be when you need to do something on your own? :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 am

Absolutely. One thing is certain, tuition will continue to rise. And all this talk about $100K in debt in all these articles is optimistic. Many law school graduates are going to have significantly more than that when they come out. From most private or out of state schools, $150K-180K or more is the new norm.
texas man wrote:
And if you want to get a job when you graduate (in the legal field) it is a lot harder than it was 3 years ago. Now, the variable of debt at graduation is elevated in importance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Invisible Man

New

Post by The Invisible Man » Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 am

texas man wrote:
The Invisible Man wrote: If you're going to law school for a get-rich-quick scheme, you're sorely mistaken and will be disappointed.

And I say to that, while debt is always an important factor, there is more to being a lawyer than what Hollywood's conventional depiction of lawyers are (intelligent, flashy car, huge salary, hot model girlfriend). Having a JD may not promise you a six-figure salary BUT it earns you the knowledge of the law, a vast amount of opportunities that are not limited to the legal field and respect from just about everybody. I also find it interesting that a legal career is one of the few careers where downward mobility is highly implausibly, meaning you can only go up, especially after a significant amount of time. So, while some may never have that 180K salary, in due time, if you keep working hard, you'll eventually be making enough to live comfortably. Or you may just luck out working for some other job that highly values people with JDs. And as far as debt goes, you'll pay it off.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 am

Matthies wrote:Jesus H Christ
So Mr. Ronisky, a 25-year-old student at Chicago's Northwestern University School of Law, spent the fall sending 50 resumes to law firms and government agencies, to no avail. Now, just days shy of graduation and with $150,000 of student loans, he plans to move back to his parents' home in San Diego and sell music and movies online.
"I wanted to use my education," he said. "But times change."

Way to be a go getter. Didn't get an summer offer, so you send out 50 WOW unsolicited resumes and when you get no response you give up, move back with your parents and sell music online. WTF. Hi I sent 50 resumes out, no jobs, ist all the economys fault guess that means I should give up now. But if they gave you 3k a week you would all the sudden become the go getter you could be but can't seem to be when you need to do something on your own? :roll:

please. can we stop perpetuating this myth that kids who are getting f*cked have done so on account of their own laziness? I have a close friend, a 2L at CLS, who has spammed maybe 200 law offices after getting no-offered at OCI. She has nothing. It's not like the 101st is that much more effective

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:28 am

The Invisible Man wrote:The recession's hurting everyone, not just the legal market particularly.

If you're going to law school for a get-rich-quick scheme, you're sorely mistaken and will be disappointed.

This is credited.

Successful get rich schemes involve either:
1) winning the lottery
2) fraud/theft
3) an MBA or
4) an MD

If someone is from a relatively poor socioeconomic status and wants to change that, they should not go to law school. They should be focusing on one of the above options. If someone is truly interested in learning about the law, come to law school.

Of course, there are people that are like "I want jobz." Well, there are jobs. If you are going to law school because you believe that you will graduate making $100,000, you have a blurred perception of reality outside of the top 5 or 6 schools. Honestly, outside of the top 3. There are plenty of jobs out there. They just aren't all at NLJ250 firms making $80,000-$175,000.

Of course, there are people that are like "da loanz." Basically if someone has a 2.8 and a 156, there is an affordable law school out there that that person could attend comfortably (public school or private school + scholarship). Because people on this site probably have an average of a 3.5 and a 163, surely everyone here could go to law school tuition-free if they choose to. But they choose not to - which is fine, but then they whine non-stop about it.

No one knows exactly how much new lawyers make when they get it. I really don't know why this is. On this site in particular, people post that "bi-modal" distribution chart compiled by NALP that has a median salary at $72,000. But what people do not realize is that that chart only accounts for half of the graduates of that year. Judging by the relatively high portion of higher salaries and strong concentration of lower salaries, it would appear as though NALP actively attempted to get salary data from the highest paid graduates. I take this from the fact that roughly 10% of all graduates work at a big firm. Therefore, the $145,000-$170,000 would be about 15% total at most (adding 5% for jobs that would include Exxon's tax department and other in house opportunities). For those who don't know what I'm talking about in this paragraph, I'm basically saying that no one knows how much new graduates make [true NALP tried, but with only about 50% reporting - it's useless. It seems as though NALP pursued 1) big firm workers and 2) public interest individuals].

/factual rant.

That is all.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:34 am

This article doesn't say anything we haven't heard already. That said, it still terrifies me all over again.
Last edited by webbylu87 on Thu May 06, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”