Poor Grade in Civil Procedure

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Poor Grade in Civil Procedure

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2010 9:02 pm

This seems like a class that you need no matter the area of law. How damning would it be to get a poor grade (~C+) in this class relative to others?

Renzo

Re: Poor Grade in Civil Procedure

Postby Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Not any better or worse than any other class, really.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Based on what I know, this is the order in which things matter:

Overall GPA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Individual Class GPA

Maybe if you were taking a class that had some very direct bearing on your employment (bombing Criminal Investigation would possibly not look good to a DA or PD) but Civ Pro is just a foundational 1L class. If anything, if they ask you can just say "It was my first semester, if you look at my other grades I've improved since then" and they'll probably go "OK".

Llewellyn

Postby Llewellyn » Wed May 05, 2010 9:12 pm

If you want to do litigation, firms may be skeptical. Just like a DA's office might laugh your resume into the trashcan if you got a C in criminal law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2010 9:19 pm

Llewellyn wrote:If you want to do litigation, firms may be skeptical. Just like a DA's office might laugh your resume into the trashcan if you got a C in criminal law.

Yes, this is more along the lines of what I am fearing. I just took this course Spring semester and don't know how well I did but it seems like it is more important to do well in this course than say, torts. I guess I will have to see how it ends up. Just wanted to know if anyone knew whether or not their performance in CP seemed to be a factor in the employment prospects.

hithere

Postby hithere » Wed May 05, 2010 9:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about one class-just focus on your overall class rank. Employers are more worried about the name of the school on your resume than the grade you got in civ pro.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed May 05, 2010 9:39 pm

hithere wrote:I wouldn't worry about one class-just focus on your overall class rank. Employers are more worried about the name of the school on your resume than the grade you got in civ pro.

Well....but this one grade will affect their overall class rank.

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
hithere wrote:I wouldn't worry about one class-just focus on your overall class rank. Employers are more worried about the name of the school on your resume than the grade you got in civ pro.

Perceptive. Considered law school? We could use a few good minds like yours.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed May 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Overall gpa is all that matters. IMO LRW is the only 1L class where a very poor grade will hurt you regardless of overall rank.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Overall GPA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Individual Class GPA

Hoping that this is true...

no reason in particular

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed May 05, 2010 9:44 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

Perceptive. Considered law school? We could use a few good minds like yours.

Haha, I was just saying that it was obvious OP was already worrying about his/her overall class rank by asking this question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2010 10:43 pm

hombredulce wrote:Overall gpa is all that matters. IMO LRW is the only 1L class where a very poor grade will hurt you regardless of overall rank.

what is a poor LRW grade? B-?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Sheeeeet, my first (sort of practice) LRW memo was like freakin' median and I am at the top of my section. Needless to say I crapped myself. I worked pretty freakin' hard and am probs. one of the top 2 grades in the class now. Moral of the story? I dunno.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hombredulce wrote:Overall gpa is all that matters. IMO LRW is the only 1L class where a very poor grade will hurt you regardless of overall rank.

I think that depends largely on your schools curve. If your school curves to a B- I'd wager B- is pretty average. If it curves to B+, B- is pretty bad.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This seems like a class that you need no matter the area of law. How damning would it be to get a poor grade (~C+) in this class relative to others?

I don't really know the answer to this question but I just wanted to remark I find this funny, because after I took civpro I basically resolved never to use what I'd learned ever again in my life (I probably want to do transactional).

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:50 pm

even a low LRW grade won't sink you if you do well in the rest. The name of the game is overall GPA. Employers realize how tight and crazy curves can B, and they also know that every class you take is legal writing. Some are just 'legal writing about contracts' while others are 'legal writing about inane bluebook rules'

toaster2

Postby toaster2 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:54 pm

toaster2 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:...every class you take is legal writing. Some are just 'legal writing about contracts' while others are 'legal writing about inane bluebook rules'
0L?

Did you just call me a 0L?

*rolls up sleeves*

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed May 05, 2010 10:56 pm

Civil Procedure is much easier in a real law firm practice than it is in law school. Plus you will generate a lot of billable hours by confusing the issue.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 pm

toaster2 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:...every class you take is legal writing. Some are just 'legal writing about contracts' while others are 'legal writing about inane bluebook rules'
0L?

OH NO YOU D'INT! I bet disco is rolling up his sleeves right about now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

below median is a poor lrw grade.

While I do agree that every class tests your ability to write, LRW is looked at with a bit more scrutiny than others.

From my own personal experience: I am comfortably ranked amongst the top 30% of students, but had one of the two lowest lrw grades in the section (c-). Pre OCI employers that I had been talking to were happy when they heard my rank, but expressed doubts when they saw/heard the spread of grades and saw I had a far below median lrw grade. There actually ended up being an error with the grading, and I got bumped up to a B. My rank didn't move much, but there was a considerable change in what I was hearing from employers after I informed them that my lrw grade was actually much higher.

toaster2

Postby toaster2 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Last edited by toaster2 on Tue May 25, 2010 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:32 pm

toaster2 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
toaster2 wrote:
0L?

Did you just call me a 0L?

*rolls up sleeves*
i stand corrected! i would argue, however, that LRW bears a much closer resemblance to the type of work junior associates will be doing than the typical in-class law school exam.

And I'd agree! But LRW is forced, artificial, and usually on a bizarre curve. Good grades in other classes won't happen unless you're a good writer. A bad LRW might raise eyebrows, but the other good grades are there suggesting strong writing performance.

Return to “Legal Employment”