Will CPA designation help with 1L summer employment?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will CPA designation help with 1L summer employment?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Would being a CPA with 3-4 years of big 4 experience significantly boost the chances of landing a lucrative lawfirm 1L summer gig?

Re: Will CPA designation help with 1L summer employment?

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:10 pm

No.

I mean, yes. But not really.

It might make you slightly more attractive, the way any life accomplishment would, but the 1L firm jobs tend to be doled out on connection / diversity / grade grounds with things like work experience being comparatively less important.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 05, 2010 11:31 am

I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a year of B4 experience, but haven't taken all the CPA exam pieces. The big 4 experience and the MS in Accounting did not seem to help with Big Law, but maybe it helped with a boutique firm I got a job with. I can't say because I am not sure what the determinative factor was.

I was considering doing the rest of the exam over my 1L summer, but then I talked to two partners at BigLaw firms who said that the CPA designation did not add much of a plus, but that the accounting background background does. They were in Corporate law. Maybe it would be different if they were in tax or T&E.

So there really is no firm answer to your question.

TUP

Postby TUP » Wed May 05, 2010 11:41 am

If you have the requisite education credits and work experience, why not? I doubt it can hurt, and with Becker prep the exam process is relatively quick and easy.

Return to “Legal Employment”