President of CA Bar Speaks Out on Legal Employment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SteelReserve

President of CA Bar Speaks Out on Legal Employment

Postby SteelReserve » Tue May 04, 2010 10:52 am

--LinkRemoved--

Interesting read I thought I would share, although in the Legal Employment forum it's probably preaching to the choir. I didn't post it elsewhere like Law School Admissions because I figured a mod would move it.

I think this man should be the President of the ABA since he seems to understand both the dismal market and the failure of law schools to enable students to hit the ground running after bar passage. These sort of statements are useful because worthless unemployed TTT bloggers aren't the ones making them; people at the top of the profession are now starting to openly talk about what is going on.

miamiman

Re: President of CA Bar Speaks Out on Legal Employment

Postby miamiman » Tue May 04, 2010 10:58 am

:::::yawn:::::

this won't stop kids from enrolling at Cal western, La Verne, McGeorge, and other rancid CA-based shiTTTholes.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed May 05, 2010 2:54 am

He spends the bulk of his article discussing the limitations of the Bar Exam in testing real lawyerly skills. He might have a point there, but he doesn't back it up with any real evidence. Are there too many lawyers being reported to the Bar for incompetence? It sounds to me like there are too many qualified lawyers who simply can't find jobs.

The solution he does not mention is the better one: fewer law schools with more discriminating entrance requirements.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 11:04 am

existenz wrote:He spends the bulk of his article discussing the limitations of the Bar Exam in testing real lawyerly skills. He might have a point there, but he doesn't back it up with any real evidence. Are there too many lawyers being reported to the Bar for incompetence? It sounds to me like there are too many qualified lawyers who simply can't find jobs.

The solution he does not mention is the better one: fewer law schools with more discriminating entrance requirements.

It is worth noting that California's is already an "exclusionary" bar exam, so at least his organization is doing something.

Return to “Legal Employment”