Biglaw later in law career..?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw later in law career..?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 am

Hi all,

If you miss the biglaw train coming right out of law school, is there any hope of catching it later in your career? If so, what kind of employment does biglaw look for in older hires?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw later in law career..?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2010 11:26 am

Comparably prestigious gov/PI work.

SEC, DoJ, US Attorney's Office, White House Counsel's Office, some work on the state/local level if it's NYC/DC/Chicago (maybe, and that's pushing it), some civil rights stuff (NAACP, ACLU)

I take that back. If you can't get biglaw, you're not getting any of these jobs either.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Mon May 03, 2010 11:27 am

VERY RARE
Most firms follow the Cravath System, as of now...this could change

Cravath System= hire best students, directly out of best schools, give them best training (before anyone else has soiled their minds) and work them like dogs on the best cases...also this led to 25yr law school grads making 160k a yr and review docs of 10hrs a day, but that is life

Now you can get around this model by (1) being awesome at ur job outside of big law, i.e. being brought in as a rainmaker, or as a great US attorney, District Attorney, jumping over from in-house at a big company. Even being awesome at PI, so a firm could use u as good publicity/for Pro-Bono of counsel or something like that could work....but it is not easy, for most one the biglaw train has left the station, post 2L OCR, it is nearly impossible to get on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks very much. This confirms what I assumed.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon May 03, 2010 11:46 am

An attorney just left the small boutique firm that I work at for a job at Duane Morris. Huge step up... apparently she was appealing because they needed someone with a specialization in transactional employment law.

I'd say if it happens, specialization is the key

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2010 11:51 am

jmhendri wrote:An attorney just left the small boutique firm that I work at for a job at Duane Morris. Huge step up... apparently she was appealing because they needed someone with a specialization in transactional employment law.

I'd say if it happens, specialization is the key

But it's very hard to get good boutique jobs straight out of LS, since most only take laterals, thus back to the original conundrum.

Return to “Legal Employment”