Resume: Put that your LR note will be published??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tobias Funke

Resume: Put that your LR note will be published??

Postby Tobias Funke » Sun May 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Is it common practice to put that your LR note is/will be publshed on your resume? If so, how/where?

Thanks!

Corsair

Re: Resume: Put that your LR note will be published??

Postby Corsair » Sun May 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun May 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:Is it common practice to put that your LR note is/will be publshed on your resume? If so, how/where?

Thanks!

Yes. As soon as you know it will be published (forthcoming), put it on your resume. If I were you I would put it at the top of your resume, right under where it says you are on Law Review. Also, I would exclude from your resume any secondary honors, except where you CALIed a class, so that the focus is on LR and your note.

Tobias Funke

Postby Tobias Funke » Sun May 02, 2010 7:20 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:Is it common practice to put that your LR note is/will be publshed on your resume? If so, how/where?

Thanks!

Yes. As soon as you know it will be published (forthcoming), put it on your resume. If I were you I would put it at the top of your resume, right under where it says you are on Law Review. Also, I would exclude from your resume any secondary honors, except where you CALIed a class, so that the focus is on LR and your note.

Thanks everyone! What else qualifies as a secondary honors?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 pm

This is how it works at my school (more or less). The general rule (IMO) is if you have stuff at the top of the list, it detracts from your resume to mention stuff at the bottom of the list. My personal preference is to only name my proudest accomplishments on my resume. Maybe I mention the other stuff in an interview.

1) Law Review
2) Another competitive law journal (Journal of International Law)
3) GPA/class rank
4) membership on your school's Moot Court team
5) membership on your school's Trial Ad team
6) top grade in a class (CALI). 1L classes (including writing) are preferable.
7) winner or finalist or semifinalist in Trial Ad/Moot Court (oral or brief) inter-mural competition
8 ) quarter/octa/honorable mention in Trial Ad/Moot court (oral or brief) inter-mural competition
Last edited by Danteshek on Sun May 02, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tobias Funke

Postby Tobias Funke » Sun May 02, 2010 8:28 pm

ahh good call... So I suppose that means I should take off "merit scholarship" then? My CS told me I should have it on there, but the “honors” portion of my resume is pretty jam-packed at the moment. I also thought maybe I could lose those CALIs - I didn't think they carried much weight.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun May 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:ahh good call... So I suppose that means I should take off "merit scholarship" then? My CS told me I should have it on there, but the “honors” portion of my resume is pretty jam-packed at the moment. I also thought maybe I could lose those CALIs - I didn't think they carried much weight.

Depends on what you want the reader to focus on. Merit scholarships don't really say that much about your accomplishments while in law school. Are you even in law school?

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sun May 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tobias Funke

Postby Tobias Funke » Sun May 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Danteshek wrote:
Tobias Funke wrote:ahh good call... So I suppose that means I should take off "merit scholarship" then? My CS told me I should have it on there, but the “honors” portion of my resume is pretty jam-packed at the moment. I also thought maybe I could lose those CALIs - I didn't think they carried much weight.

Depends on what you want the reader to focus on. Merit scholarships don't really say that much about your accomplishments while in law school. Are you even in law school?

Haha what? Yes, I'm a 2L. That'd be fairly presumptuous for a 0L to ask about putting a published LR note on their resume w/o even knowing if they made LR yet... let alone whether they were selected for publication, don't you think? :wink:

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sun May 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon May 03, 2010 2:32 am

Will this note discuss legal implications of groundbreaking new insights in the field of analrapy?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 03, 2010 10:37 am

Danteshek wrote:This is how it works at my school (more or less). The general rule (IMO) is if you have stuff at the top of the list, it detracts from your resume to mention stuff at the bottom of the list. My personal preference is to only name my proudest accomplishments on my resume. Maybe I mention the other stuff in an interview.

1) Law Review
2) Another competitive law journal (Journal of International Law)
3) GPA/class rank
4) membership on your school's Moot Court team
5) membership on your school's Trial Ad team
6) top grade in a class (CALI). 1L classes (including writing) are preferable.
7) winner or finalist or semifinalist in Trial Ad/Moot Court (oral or brief) inter-mural competition
8 ) quarter/octa/honorable mention in Trial Ad/Moot court (oral or brief) inter-mural competition

3-8... we don't even have these things, really. hmm...

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon May 03, 2010 11:56 am

Hm. If your school doesn't do CALIs, but your professor told you that you were the top grade in the class, is it worth throwing that on there?

Postby 270910 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:06 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Hm. If your school doesn't do CALIs, but your professor told you that you were the top grade in the class, is it worth throwing that on there?

Hmmm. I'd say the answer is not no. Probably a highly fact specific inquiry, multi-factor balancing test.

Factors:
*Relevance of the subject matter to the job.
*Relevance of grades to the employer (i.e. snobbish in general?).
*Extent to which it is an outlier or a trend. Median GPA with 2 'highest grades' worth mentioning to show you're just working on consistency, but it's really not 'new information' if you're already at the top of your class
*Other items that reflect academic achievement: scholarships, transfers, dean's lists, grading on to LR/Journals, etc. will communicate relevant information better than highlighting single grades.
*How busy that portion of your resume already is. Maybe adding it takes it to a nice 3 items, maybe it's already too over-crowded.

If you do it just a simple "Received highest grade in ______" probably suffices.

Return to “Legal Employment”